Midwest Region

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 22, 2014 -> 05:14 PM)
Yes, I know about the past. If you went by that, you'd pick Izzo, then Matta.

I'm just talking about NOW...the past couple of years. And also how Beilein maximized all of the talent at West Virginia.

For awhile, it looked like Matta was going to consistently bring in Conley/Oden type of talent...like Calipari. His recruiting has fallen off just a bit.

And sure, Matta did the same thing at Butler...then Lickliter succeeded with his players.

Like Mattas conference title in 2012 with a final four. 3 straight sweet sixteen, a conference tournament title last year. What kind of recruiting class does Matta have coming in next year?

Matta also never maximized talent at Xavier and Butler. It's not like he had a NPOY there or anything.

5 big ten titles and four conference tourney titles in 9 years. Since he joined the big Ten nobody has more. But I guess it's way in the past when thinking about 2012.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 22, 2014 -> 04:21 PM)
Like Mattas conference title in 2012 with a final four. 3 straight sweet sixteen, a conference tournament title last year. What kind of recruiting class does Matta have coming in next year?

Matta also never maximized talent at Xavier and Butler. It's not like he had a NPOY there or anything.

5 big ten titles and four conference tourney titles in 9 years. Since he joined the big Ten nobody has more. But I guess it's way in the past when thinking about 2012.

It is if you're a White Sox fan.

Once again, I know his record. I'm talking about NOW, today. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

There's the big picture and the smaller frame within that bigger picture. For example, on paper, Iowa fans can point to McCaffrey completely rebuilding three programs (UNC Greensboro and Siena) and where the program was four years ago...or they can look at losing 7 of their last 8 and choking/losing so many close games over the last two years.

As far as Matta goes, I meant he should get credit for Lickliter's success...75% of it. And then Stevens went on and won with Lickliter's players, but some would say Brad Stevens is the best basketball coach (NBA and college) alive today.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 22, 2014 -> 06:45 PM)
It is if you're a White Sox fan.

Once again, I know his record. I'm talking about NOW, today. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

There's the big picture and the smaller frame within that bigger picture. For example, on paper, Iowa fans can point to McCaffrey completely rebuilding three programs (UNC Greensboro and Siena) and where the program was four years ago...or they can look at losing 7 of their last 8 and choking/losing so many close games over the last two years.

As far as Matta goes, I meant he should get credit for Lickliter's success...75% of it. And then Stevens went on and won with Lickliter's players, but some would say Brad Stevens is the best basketball coach (NBA and college) alive today.

You can't declare a best coach in the conference if you can't look further back than today. College Bball has ebbs and flows of talent for most programs so you are right I don't agree with being that short sighted.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 22, 2014 -> 06:21 PM)
You can't declare a best coach in the conference if you can't look further back than today. College Bball has ebbs and flows of talent for most programs so you are right I don't agree with being that short sighted.

Well, there's no way to argue that Izzo is the best coach in Big 10 history, right after Knight.

Probably a better coach in many aspects (personality, temperament, consistency) but not the overall brilliance and 3 National Championships.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 22, 2014 -> 05:06 PM)
I'm as anti-Gators as they come and Donovan is far from being smug.

Agreed. I hate Florida more than any other school in college sports, but I truly think Donovan is a good guy.

Calipari, on the other hand, is as bad as it gets. He golfed at the country club I worked at in Memphis, and was as big of a smug asshole as I've ever met. He didn't tip either, as if he was too good for that or something. Awful guy.

Edited by dasox24

I'm a Michigan fan and I'm still not totally sold on Bielien. Not a fan of some of his rotations. If he takes this team to the F4, than I fully be on board. I have trouble forgiving him for the Zack Novak playing despite being awful.

Thad's done so much with so little sometimes and is great but still should've won national title with Conley and Oden.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 10:42 AM)
I'm a Michigan fan and I'm still not totally sold on Bielien. Not a fan of some of his rotations. If he takes this team to the F4, than I fully be on board. I have trouble forgiving him for the Zack Novak playing despite being awful.

Thad's done so much with so little sometimes and is great but still should've won national title with Conley and Oden.

I really like Bielien as a coach, don't get me wrong. I just think it was short sighted to call him the best in the conference.

That team could have many other years, but that Florida team was one of the best ever. I still think Thad had better teams than that one though. Hopefully the 2015 class fills out like it should.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 10:42 AM)

Meh, they lost to the Florida team with Noah, Horford, and Brewer. Just a bad year to have a truly great team.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 10:51 AM)
Meh, they lost to the Florida team with Noah, Horford, and Brewer. Just a bad year to have a truly great team.

But I would've won $750 if OSU had won that game.

But I would've won $750 if OSU had won that game.

I would have won $1500 in 1993 if Chris Webber knew the difference between one timeout left and zero timeouts left. Since then, Michigan has toughened the entrance requirements so that players now have to know the difference between zero and one.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 04:31 PM)
You will now go down as an overrated team unfortunately for them. Great season, but not enough.

I don't think so. They still should have won that game. Tons of huge plays down the stretch. Championship caliber IMO.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 05:26 PM)
I think the fact it was to a program/coach I despise makes it worse.

We talked about this earlier this season but ya, the Shockers have the worst fans in the league and I normally can't stand them. That said, this group of players was very likable and I was seriously tired of people who never saw them play continually knocking them.

Unfortunately the f***in Harrison's of all people decided to play fantastic today.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 05:36 PM)
We talked about this earlier this season but ya, the Shockers have the worst fans in the league and I normally can't stand them. That said, this group of players was very likable and I was seriously tired of people who never saw them play continually knocking them.

Unfortunately the f***in Harrison's of all people decided to play fantastic today.

I was talking about losing to Calipari.