Leadoff Hitter

WSFAN35

Why does everyone believe that a leadoff hitter has to have blazing speed, and be a middle infielder or centerfielder. A leadoff man shouldn't be about blazing speed, he should be about getting on base. It doesn't matter how much speed the guy has if he can't get on base, because the leadoff man is supposed to produce runs, not steals. Runs are the name of the game, and if the sox need to put Carlos Lee at leadoff to score more runs then they damn well should.:metal

My theory on a middle infielder is they need to be able to hit for avg, and just as importantly draw walks and not strike out too much. The key is having a guy with a great obp in the top of the order. You don't want your premier home-run hitter their or premier hitter(usually) because you want your rbi guys waiting to knock in your top of the order guys.

They don't have to be great stealing threats, but it is nice, because then you can have a single, steal 2nd, and have a runner in scoring position for the middle of your lineup.

To me Jimenez is just about the perfect leadoff hitter if he can continue to grow. Of course, I'd take Ichiro if we could get him.

I think that Jiminez is definately the leadoff man of the future, but for some reason, the Sox feel that Harris is the way to go. Well, Harris has a long way to go. He doesn't get on base enough, and to be honest, I don't think he has much potential to prove that. I think Jiminez needs to play everyday to get a clear picture of what he can produce. I might be the only one that thinks this, but I don't think they should acquire a leadoff hitting center fielder, or Jose Vidro, because it will hinder the growth of these young players. Jiminez could be a future all-star. Nonetheless, the Sox need to find a leadoff hitter that works, because that's the key to putting up numbers on the board. Then again, having good hitters all through the lineup is the real key to putting up numbers on the board. There in lies the challenge.:metal

Originally posted by WSFAN35

I think that Jiminez is definately the leadoff man of the future, but for some reason, the Sox feel that Harris is the way to go.  Well, Harris has a long way to go.  He doesn't get on base enough, and to be honest, I don't think he has much potential to prove that.  I think Jiminez needs to play everyday to get a clear picture of what he can produce.  I might be the only one that thinks this, but I don't think they should acquire a leadoff hitting center fielder, or Jose Vidro, because it will hinder the growth of these young players.  Jiminez could be a future all-star.  Nonetheless, the Sox need to find a leadoff hitter that works, because that's the key to putting up numbers on the board.  Then again, having good hitters all through the lineup is the real key to putting up numbers on the board.  There in lies the challenge.:metal

Jimenez or Hummel ar your SS's of the future..... IMHO. Which one it will be cannot be determined at this time. Acquiring Vidro won't "hinder the growth" of anybody but Harris really. Vidro is a proven commodity and trading for him give KW a few more PTBNL in other deals. One of the positions the White Sox are not hurting in for talent and number of players available is 2B.

a leadoff I believe has to have some type of speed. not blazing speed, but Jimenez-like.

he has to be patient, a contact hitter, must know how to run the bases, and know how to get on base.

Lee hasn't quite mastered the art of basestealing and still has a way to go to prove he can get on base consistently.

Originally posted by CubKilla
Originally posted by WSFAN35

I think that Jiminez is definately the leadoff man of the future, but for some reason, the Sox feel that Harris is the way to go.  Well, Harris has a long way to go.  He doesn't get on base enough, and to be honest, I don't think he has much potential to prove that.  I think Jiminez needs to play everyday to get a clear picture of what he can produce.  I might be the only one that thinks this, but I don't think they should acquire a leadoff hitting center fielder, or Jose Vidro, because it will hinder the growth of these young players.  Jiminez could be a future all-star.  Nonetheless, the Sox need to find a leadoff hitter that works, because that's the key to putting up numbers on the board.  Then again, having good hitters all through the lineup is the real key to putting up numbers on the board.  There in lies the challenge.:metal

Jimenez or Hummel ar your SS's of the future..... IMHO. Which one it will be cannot be determined at this time. Acquiring Vidro won't "hinder the growth" of anybody but Harris really. Vidro is a proven commodity and trading for him give KW a few more PTBNL in other deals. One of the positions the White Sox are not hurting in for talent and number of players available is 2B.

i like what you are saying and agree in the most part. if the trade were to happen, who is to say that vidro might not be heading somewhere else for another player or for that fact someone else.

speed was a lot more important for a lead off man in the 60's and 70's...before the juiced ball era...now almost everyone plays earl weaver ball...sit on your ass and wait for the 3 run dinger...when is the last time we saw any team score a run w/o the benefit of a hit or error???...while that never was a frequent occurance it wouldnt be unusual to see it 5 -10 times a season..nowadays you never see it..

with the way the game has changed id have to agree..that speed isnt a requirement for a lead off man anymore..its more like a luxary...

Originally posted by Chisoxfn  By the way Donkey, I like the avatar.  In that picture it looks like Kenny is sad about something, maybe the fact that he hasn't been able to get Colon or Ortiz yet.

Maybe it's the moment KW looks away from a computer monitor after seeing what most SOXNET posters have to say about him :D

Originally posted by CubKilla
Originally posted by Chisoxfn  By the way Donkey, I like the avatar.  In that picture it looks like Kenny is sad about something, maybe the fact that he hasn't been able to get Colon or Ortiz yet.

Maybe it's the moment KW looks away from a computer monitor after seeing what most SOXNET posters have to say about him :D

oh that is a classic. :metal