The Official 2014 Opening Day thread

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (beautox @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 04:52 AM)
Thats why I'm a firm believer we go after Rasmus for CF this offseason or Despainge if he defects defects. Both fit our age and competivness curve. As for C I still think Hahn will eventually make push for Grandal. As for DH if Dayan perfoms this year we're in good shape if not and we start out semi hot I would love to see the sox pursue Morales.

It would be kinda funny if the sox continued to foster a very pro cuban lineup with the possible inclusions of despainge, grandal and morales.

I don't think the Sox will win a bidding war for Rasmus and after that there is very little of use in terms of free agent position players. My guess is the Sox max offer to a free agent would be 5y/$75M. I think one of Shields, Masterson, or Josh Johnson signs with them most likely for less than that figure.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 09:12 AM)
I would hope the sox wouldn't win a bidding war for the disappointing often injured Colby Rasmus. Someone else can deal with that headache

The only time Rasmus missed significant time was last year. If you throw out last year, he has averaged 143 games per year and that's with LaRussa benching him at times because he didn't like him, which I think really hindered his development in STL. He seemed to really figure it out last year. I know he doesn't get as much press as he should playing in Toronto, but he put up a 4.8 fWAR in just 118 games last year. If he hadn't gotten hurt and played at that level for 155 games it would have been 6.3. That is easily All-Star+ level.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 11:43 AM)
The only time Rasmus missed significant time was last year. If you throw out last year, he has averaged 143 games per year and that's with LaRussa benching him at times because he didn't like him, which I think really hindered his development in STL. He seemed to really figure it out last year. I know he doesn't get as much press as he should playing in Toronto, but he put up a 4.8 fWAR in just 118 games last year. If he hadn't gotten hurt and played at that level for 155 games it would have been 6.3. That is easily All-Star+ level.

Definitely going to be interesting to see if he can repeat that performance this year. If he does, it's probably worth $50 million+ to him.

I'm sure some of you follow the White Sox facebook, but in case you don't or just kinda skipped over it....

Here's a look at at the new grub, the new Sale K cards which is kinda cool (ala the Kings corner in Seattle), and the Hawk/Stone/DJ/Farmio race things.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1...8297&type=1

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 27, 2014 -> 03:28 PM)
Not really. They will probably be playing with the extended spring training guys. They need to get some ABs before they play.

Correct, the first games for the Barons isn't until April 9, the first game for the Knights isn't until April 11.

High 61 Monday. Maybe rain, but doesn't look like a washout.

Wednesday might be colded/snowed/rained out. Oh look, they could skip Paulino right away.

So tonight may get rained out in Birmingham, two days off, Opening Day, then maybe two more days off.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 09:25 AM)
Let's sweep the twins! Very excited for the season. I know we won't be that good, but for the first time I see us in a good direction. Hope we hit home runs in the draft.

If the Sox have any chance of contending, the Twins are a team they're going to have to pummel....like 14-5.

Looks like the weather for Monday will be fine. Cloudy and 60 at game time.

I'd bet Wednesday will get called off, and it will turn into an August 1st doubleheader.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 11:34 AM)
F*ck this weather.

Just looked at the forecast for KC next weekend. It will be 79 and sunny tomorrow.

Next weekend looks 50's and cloudy, and maybe rain on Sunday (still far away).

Denver looks warm enough, but also rain possible after that.

The team will just have to deal with it, but it makes it harder when you have to overachieve to compete.