Starting Rotation

peppers312

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 02:51 PM)
Why are the Sox so high on Paulino? Baffles me.

teams that dont have many good players then tend to like players more that have some idea of what a baseball is and/or have played before.

surely the wealth of sox starter options isnt blindingly full to you

I mean, if you're a Rienzo guy, fine - i understand the logic. let a young guy try and/or crash burn

but i have to think they basically saw their '13 test run with him as - 'this guy will be relieving for us more likely than anything else.' unless something changes, he's kind of in that bad-world of starter-versatility without much excellence at any one thing. I am rooting for him but it kind of brings into question if even relief at MLB-level is ...a long career for him.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 04:56 PM)
I mean, if you're a Rienzo guy, fine - i understand the logic. let a young guy try and/or crash burn

but i have to think they basically saw their '13 test run with him as - 'this guy will be relieving for us more likely than anything else.' unless something changes, he's kind of in that bad-world of starter-versatility without much excellence at any one thing. I am rooting for him but it kind of brings into question if even relief at MLB-level is ...a long career for him.

I am a Rienzo fan somewhat (not as a top of the rotation guy but with middle-rotation potential) and I definitely see how there could be benefit for him being in the rotation in Charlotte.

I could also see him having enough success that he becomes a really important trade chip in the near future. Maybe not in a deal on his own but in a multi-part deal like the one the Sox did for Peavy, he could be a really useful piece if he has some additional big league success and shows growth with his offspeed stuff this year.