New Look Inside The Cell

TheChrisSamsa

Doug Padilla posted this picture of the new facade behind Home Plate. Interesting to note that there's no mention of "US Cellular Field," just Home Of The Chicago White Sox. I could imagine this isn't quite the final product, but it's possible that US Cellular is leaving their naming rights behind if the White Sox can find another suitor.

Related side note, I like the clean look of the gray facade.

Bj-_uIRCUAAFieF.jpg

Last year:

cellsignage.jpg

Edited by ChrisLikesBaseball

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the bigger story is they lost sponsorship of both the former Bacardi at the Park and Gold Coast Tickets Club. Considering US Cellular is no longer available in the area, I don't think they really need any signage, but like you mentioned, perhaps the name is going to change. Also there is a little space between 11 and 16. Are they going to retire Ozzie's number? NM, that is for Konerko's 14.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 01:45 PM)
I think the bigger story is they lost sponsorship of both the former Bacardi at the Park and Gold Coast Tickets Club. Considering US Cellular is no longer available in the area, I don't think they really need any signage, but like you mentioned, perhaps the name is going to change. Also there is a little space between 11 and 16. Are they going to retire Ozzie's number?

It seems like the Sox have lost almost all of their primary sponsorship deals, Bacardi, Gold Coast, and US Cellular (assumed/eventual).. I wonder if marketing is waiting to prove they can get people in the stadium with a more exciting on-field product so as to increase bids for next season.

I'd say that the numbers 13 and/or 14 would fit between 11 and 16...

Edited by ChrisLikesBaseball

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 01:53 PM)
It seems like the Sox have lost almost all of their primary sponsorship deals, Bacardi, Gold Coast, and US Cellular (assumed)..

The traditionalist in me hopes they just go back to Comiskey Park. I not a fan of corporate names on stadiums.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 01:56 PM)
The traditionalist in me hopes they just go back to Comiskey Park. I not a fan of corporate names on stadiums.

I agree, though I do think that some corporate sponsorships come through less callous than others. US Cellular Field is one of the worst.

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 01:59 PM)
I agree, though I do think that some corporate sponsorships come through less callous than others. US Cellular Field is one of the worst.

Nothing is worse than O.co Coliseum

I agree that some dont "hurt" to say. Like the United Center. Busch Stadium.

Great American Ball Park may be one of the best.

I agree, but with what they pay to put their names on the places, they need to take the money, especially if it is a pubicly funded place.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 02:02 PM)

Agreed with these. US Cellular is right up with Minute Maid Park.

I wish Marshall Fields still existed, because Marshall Field would have been amusing.

No chance. If someone wants to offer that much money, take it. I'd be for sponsorship on the uniforms if it puts better players on the team.

About a year ago when I heard that US Cellular was exiting the Chicago market and selling their spectrum and customers to Sprint I emailed Brooks and asked if he was aware US Cellular was folding in Chicago and what the Sox would do. Being that the Corp sponsor whose name is on the stadium will no longer be present in this market I too found it strange. Brooks responded something along the lines of "We are aware of the situation with US Cellular and will be making arrangements".

I remember when the Sox announced this partnership with US Cellular in 2003 I was thinking its only a matter of time before US Cellular becomes Sprint or Verizon anyway. I figured at the time I'd give it 5 years before US Cellular Field turned into Verizon or Sprint Field (the other large CDMA service providers).

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 02:02 PM)

Ho-le s***. Never even realized this was named after United Airlines. I guess I just assumed it was a generic name. HAHAHA.