New Look Inside The Cell

TheChrisSamsa

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 06:37 PM)
Ho-le s***. Never even realized this was named after United Airlines. I guess I just assumed it was a generic name. HAHAHA.

This was me for the longest time. When I realized it was United Airlines, I had to pause for a moment.

Shame about Bacardi at the Park. Bacardi Park wouldn't have been awful.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 07:37 PM)
Ho-le s***. Never even realized this was named after United Airlines. I guess I just assumed it was a generic name. HAHAHA.

Isn't the United Airlines logo on the roof of the building and can been seen whenever there's an aerial shot from the blimp?

QUOTE (joeynach @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 04:32 PM)
About a year ago when I heard that US Cellular was exiting the Chicago market and selling their spectrum and customers to Sprint I emailed Brooks and asked if he was aware US Cellular was folding in Chicago and what the Sox would do. Being that the Corp sponsor whose name is on the stadium will no longer be present in this market I too found it strange. Brooks responded something along the lines of "We are aware of the situation with US Cellular and will be making arrangements".

I remember when the Sox announced this partnership with US Cellular in 2003 I was thinking its only a matter of time before US Cellular becomes Sprint or Verizon anyway. I figured at the time I'd give it 5 years before US Cellular Field turned into Verizon or Sprint Field (the other large CDMA service providers).

I asked my guy at the sox about this. He said us cellular have the rights contractually. It's not the sox call on who replaces them.

Basically, it's in us celluar's court. The man who brokered the deal, Jack Rooney, is no longer with us. And new management may not feel that the contract is worth the money.

It's all conjecture at this point.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 10:19 PM)
I asked my guy at the sox about this. He said us cellular have the rights contractually. It's not the sox call on who replaces them.

Basically, it's in us celluar's court. The man who brokered the deal, Jack Rooney, is no longer with us. And new management may not feel that the contract is worth the money.

It's all conjecture at this point.

I am sure this is some sort of language in the contract that if US Cellular gets acquired, liquidated, or goes out of business there can be changes to the naming rights. The thing is what US Cellular has done puts them kind of in limbo. They acquired the naming rights deal as a means for branding and exposure in Chicago, a big market for them in the early 00s. Now they have no assets or customers in Illinois after selling to Sprint. So why hold naming rights in an area where you don't and will never provide service? To me US Cellular should have sold the naming rights to Sprint along with the spectrum and customers, or negotiated a buyout with the White Sox so they could pursue a sponsor that has meaning in Chicago and Illinois.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 06:37 PM)

As a stoned teenager, I remember watching the 1997 NBA Finals and having no idea that both the United Center & Delta Center were named after airline sponsors. Like you said, I just thought it was a generic adjective. At least I was only 14 at the time, so that's a good excuse.

Sprint already bought out the remaining US Cellular customers and cell towers in Chicago. It's only a matter of time before Sprint buys out US Cellular Field from US Cellular to change the naming rights to "Sprint Field".

Honestly, I can care less about the name. If they can acquire even more money for ballpark improvements, I'm ALL for it!

Sprint is acquiring spectrum and customers from U.S. Cellular in Chicago and other markets, and is not purchasing or involved in its marketing rights or initiatives, said Sprint spokesman Scott M. Sloat.

The name U.S. Cellular Field was brokered by U.S. Cellular's former CEO John "Jack" Rooney, who signed the 23-year deal in 2003 for $68 million. Rooney, a Wheaton resident at the time, died in July 2011 at age 69.

So will Sprint consider changing the name of the ballpark in the future?

"All I can tell you is it isn't part of this transaction," Sloat said.

Dave Kimbell, senior vice president of marketing and chief marketing officer of U.S. Cellular, confirmed that "the Cell" likely will continue.

"At U.S. Cellular, we are proud of our partnership with the Chicago White Sox and the experience fans have at U.S. Cellular Field," said Kimbell. "We will continue to be headquartered here in Chicago and our enthusiasm for Chicago sports remains the same. Our naming rights to the ballpark are not a part of this deal with Sprint. The White Sox are a great partner and we look forward to continuing our relationship with them."

White Sox spokesman Lou Hernandez also confirmed there are no plans to change the name of the ballpark.

Sprint, the third-largest U.S. cellphone carrier, said Wednesday it's buying the spectrum and 585,000 customers in Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Missouri and Ohio. That's about 10 percent of U.S. Cellular's customer base.

U.S. Cellular said 980 jobs will be lost with the sale, including about 640 in the Chicago region. Sprint isn't taking over any employees. U.S. Cellular's headquarters will stay in Chicago. The company's remaining network spans states that include Wisconsin, Iowa, Oregon, Maine and North Carolina.

from the arlington daily herald, about 1 1/2 years ago when the Sprint/Nextel deal became official

from southsidesox

U.S. Cellular, of course, may be telling the truth and really does intend to keep the naming rights. But having a stadium with a company's name in a location where it does not sell to consumers, in addition to being required to purchase advertising in a location where it does not sell to consumers, is a questionable business practice.

While it is not entirely clear what sort of consumer/business operations U.S. Cellular will continue in the Chicago-area (if any), it would be usual for a deal such as this to include some restrictions on it, given that Sprint is attempting to gain market share in these markets and U.S. Cellular continuing substantial operations would run contrary to that purpose.

Furthermore, it is likely that its naming rights deal with the White Sox contains extensive restrictions on U.S. Cellular's ability to transfer those rights to another company, even in a sale of assets such as this, and it is unlikely the White Sox would have been informed of the deal with Sprint prior to its announcement today. So, despite its protestations to the contrary, U.S. Cellular's commitment to the White Sox should rightly be questioned.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 01:16 AM)
Sprint already bought out the remaining US Cellular customers and cell towers in Chicago. It's only a matter of time before Sprint buys out US Cellular Field from US Cellular to change the naming rights to "Sprint Field".

Honestly, I can care less about the name. If they can acquire even more money for ballpark improvements, I'm ALL for it!

Sprint Field. Lmao.

That just sounds terrible. "Sprint Ballpark" would be better.

The Fundamentals Scott Podsednik race could be switched with a Sprint LTE Reception race.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 08:13 PM)
Then there's $68 million/20 years for US Cellular naming rights, or $3.4 million per season.

So then there's a big question what happens with that 20 year contract...(ALMOST ENOUGH TO PAY FOR MANNY RAMIREZ!!!)

They find another corporate sponsor who pays about 10 times that number annually.

I'd rather see both sides agree to void the deal, and the Sox find a new sponsor who pays assloads more to put their name on the walls.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 09:31 AM)
I'd rather see both sides agree to void the deal, and the Sox find a new sponsor who pays assloads more to put their name on the walls.

I think this is what ultimately happens. I would imagine the White Sox are waiting for an improved team with improved attendance and exposure maximizing what they could get in naming rights.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 09:31 AM)

That is another possibility. Reiny did it right the first time, using the $68 million on ballpark improvements in 2004. If he can get $128 million for another name, just imagine the possibilities for the stadium and fan experiences around the park! BTW, I love our ballpark and it has the best food out of any park in the country! Even Cub fans will admit to that :)

I have some experience with Sprint dealing with large contractual obligations. My guess from that experience is that Sprint has looked at every way possible to break that deal and can't. In my opinion, US Cellular Field will never be known as Sprint anything because Sprint doesn't want it.

That Sprint can't wiggle out of this contract is a testament to what a skilled negotiator Chairman Reinsdorf is.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 09:41 AM)
That is another possibility. Reiny did it right the first time, using the $68 million on ballpark improvements in 2004. If he can get $128 million for another name, just imagine the possibilities for the stadium and fan experiences around the park! BTW, I love our ballpark and it has the best food out of any park in the country! Even Cub fans will admit to that :)

The Cowboys got somewhere close to $20 million annually for their naming rights. I see no reason the White Sox couldn't do at least half of that annually, and make $10 million per year.

Well, State Farm and Allstate already have stadium, so does United and Wrigley (kind of).

So whats left?

Archer Daniels Midland - Archer Field

Walgreens

Boeing

CAT

Kraft

Sears

Abbott

Deere

McDonalds

Excelon

Illinois Tool works-The tool shed?

Navistar

Baxter

Motorola -HA

Sara Lee

AON

RR Donnelly

CDW

Discover

Dover

WW Grainger

Tenneco

OfficeMax

Anixter

CPI

CF indsutries

TDS

United Stationers

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)
I have some experience with Sprint dealing with large contractual obligations. My guess from that experience is that Sprint has looked at every way possible to break that deal and can't. In my opinion, US Cellular Field will never be known as Sprint anything because Sprint doesn't want it.

That Sprint can't wiggle out of this contract is a testament to what a skilled negotiator Chairman Reinsdorf is.

I believe, Sprint is not part of the naming contract. Sprint bought the service in Chicago. US Cellular is still a viable company just not in the Chicago area. So while owning the naming rights to a stadium in an area you do not service is idiotic, that is what US Cellular does.

I would love for it to be Jack Daniels Field.

Its probably a hard sell right now with attendance down, the team struggling, and companies trying to pull back on some of that type of spending.

As far as the US Cellular name goes, it appears did not acquire that piece in their acquisition, and I am sure like most contracts, there is an early termination clause to address situations like this. I think this gives a good indication where that extra money from MLB went if the team has lost its major sponsorship's.

Please don't call it Comiskey Park. I hated when they named it that to begin with. First, there already WAS a Comiskey Park, it was very different, and it drove me nuts they couldn't find a new name. Second, Comiskey was all sorts of bad things, he's not the guy I'd want to evoke anyway. If you want non-corporate, call it Veeck Park.

But they'll likely find another sponsor, as US Cellular will undoubtedly want to bow out if they can.