Attendance

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go again.

It it scary, in the sense that it indicates we've lost perhaps as much as 30% of our season ticket base.

Surprising, no.

The idea that bringing in a Pujols/Hamilton/Greinke/Cano/Scherzer and having any more than a minimal impact on attendance....not happening until that team proves something to the fans.

Abreu SHOULD be getting the fans excited...Eaton's style of play...Avisail Garcia, watching a youngster in Semien, but we'll have a much better idea over the rest of April and May if the fans will START to support the team if they keep winning...or wait until the summer months.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 2, 2014 -> 10:52 PM)
The attendance for game 2 last year was 14,213. It was under 11,000 today IIRC from the game thread. Both days IIRC were miserable. 43° F for last year's at game time according to the box score.

I think that does suggest a very substantial erosion of season ticket sales.

Yep. I'm guessing there were about 0 walk ups today. Obviously a drop was to be expected. Even a big one. But 28% if it's around there is really damn big. Thats a very scary number as caulfield noted above.Not that this is by any means a perfect science here.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 2, 2014 -> 11:37 PM)
I think it's silly to blame the customer of any business for not buying the product.

I certainly wasn't blaming anyone as I wasn't there.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 2, 2014 -> 11:38 PM)
Lower your expectations.

Ha agreed.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 2, 2014 -> 11:59 PM)
How is any of this a surprise? White Sox fans are massive bandwagon fans and the team sucked last year. Fans won't come back until we win again. The fans are the reason why we need to get the rebuild as short as possible.

Didn't really say it's a surprise but now that you mention it, it is kind of shocking when you've seen 1000s of games and this is the single lowest attendance you've ever seen.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 12:00 AM)
You must not have seen any of the 70's or 80's then.

Correct.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 01:24 AM)
Nope, made me laugh.

Good. I usually just make you mad. We're making progress.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

Off to a good start, (2-0) and the team has won one game in very stable fashion with an ace going deep into the game and traditional contributors coming through, and one game in hyper-exciting "who?!" did "what?!" walk-off fashion....

What better time to start talking about attendance!?

*end trolling* *ignore thread*

Edited by ChrisLikesBaseball

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 2, 2014 -> 06:15 PM)
I didn't take it to mean anything other than what you posted FWIW. Still, it was a really embarrassing crowd. There are reasons for it - 2nd game of the year, cold weather, low expectations, coming off a terrible season - but it's still embarrassing. That crowd almost makes the Marlins look good in comparison.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 2, 2014 -> 06:37 PM)
I think it's silly to blame the customer of any business for not buying the product.

I didn't. Read again. I said it's embarrassing, but that there are a lot of reasons for the attendance to be low. If I'm a teenager and my mom comes up to me while amongst all my friends and kisses me on the cheek and does that thing where she cleans a smudge off my face in front of all of my friends, I'm certainly not at fault for the embarrassment even though I'm the one with the embarrassing scene.

LOL at this thread. 32 degree game where rain had been forecasted, weekday day game, against an awful team, second game after a 99 loss season... I'm shocked the number was as high as it was.

10k and change was basically the entire full season ticket base (neither 27 game plan would have that game in it), so there are probably around 10k season tickets. I'm glad it's still that high, I thought it may fall more than that.

As for comparing to last year, it was 10 degrees warmer coming off a surprisingly good season with high expectations. And it was still only 14k.

This thread is pure trolling.

This was also a game the 2 partial season ticket plans didn't include. There is no doubt a drop in season tickets, the team lost 99 games, but freezing with a threat of rain or ice, against the Twins with school in session isn't going to draw flies, and many people with tickets aren't going to bother. To try to make anything of it is silly. The White Sox know what is up and were prepared to spend a ton of money this offseason. I don't think their situation is as dire as one would think, even if attendance dips for the 8th straight year.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 2, 2014 -> 08:44 PM)
Didn't really say it's a surprise but now that you mention it, it is kind of shocking when you've seen 1000s of games and this is the single lowest attendance you've ever seen.

If it wasn't a surprise, then why the need for a new thread about it like it was a surprise? That is like starting a thread for Viciedo chasing a pitch out of the zone.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 2, 2014 -> 06:37 PM)

Your wrong here. Sports fans aren't typical customers where a rooting interest is involved. I detest this analogy just like at a university. Students are not customers. There is a vested interest that you don't have in regular businesses. People don't cheer for McDonald's (unless you own stock).

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 09:03 AM)
Your wrong here. Sports fans aren't typical customers where a rooting interest is involved. I detest this analogy just like at a university. Students are not customers. There is a vested interest that you don't have in regular businesses. People don't cheer for McDonald's (unless you own stock).

I cheer everytime Big Macs are 2 for 5 bucks

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 2, 2014 -> 07:00 PM)
You must not have seen any of the 70's or 80's then.

Those were the good ol' days. There would be two of us in the Old Comiskey RF bleachers doing the 2 man wave because there was no one else in the section. We were kicked out of the section a few times during a game because they wanted to close the section.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 09:06 AM)
Those were the good ol' days. There would be two of us in the Old Comiskey RF bleachers doing the 2 man wave because there was no one else in the section. We were kicked out of the section a few times during a game because they wanted to close the section.

I remember being a kid at the old ballpark and having entire sections of the upper deck to ourselves during batting practice, and coming home with like half of a dozen baseballs.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 08:29 AM)
Wasn't it a night game in Game 2 last year? As a Teacher, I usually go to the 2nd game of the year. It was idiotic to make it a day game.

No, day game. It's generally a touch warmer during the day, I think the attendance would be worse for a night game there.

That said, it looks like a great day to head to a game this afternoon. Should be at least 20K there.

Why are these opening series games always all day games? Are they worried about colder temps at night? Even if the night is chillier, I would imagine you still would get better attendance. Who the hell is gonna skip work for a 38 degree non-Opening Day game?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 10:39 AM)
Why are these opening series games always all day games? Are they worried about colder temps at night? Even if the night is chillier, I would imagine you still would get better attendance. Who the hell is gonna skip work for a 38 degree non-Opening Day game?

It was a lot more pleasant yesterday afternoon than last night. It was ridiculously cold and windy.

If anyone wants to fill the stands on April 12th a Saturday afternoon tilt vs. Cleveland, use ACADEMY as the code, bleachers and upper box are $14, lower reserved $16, and lower box $29.

The 2nd game is ALWAYS horrific. And it's the same for many other teams.

MOST of the folks that are interested in going to the games are going to go on opening day. Most people don't go to baseball games on back to back days. The fact that it's a day game and 30 degrees didn't help.

Attendance doesn't matter anymore, this isnt 1990. Have you seen the AAV of the TV contracts that a good 1/3 of MLB has received in the last 5 years. Have you not noticed the influx of revenue all teams receive from MLB advanced media. Have you not noticed how the White Sox in the bottom 1/3 in attendance almost every year are constantly in the top 1/3 in major league payroll. Teams, especially the White Sox have introduced so many non ticket sale produced revenue streams into the equation in the last ten years it just doesn't matter. I wouldn't be surprised if half of MLB get more money from media rights than ticket sales every season. This old default view that attendance and team payroll are proportional needs to go away, things have changed considerably since 2004.

Edited by joeynach

QUOTE (joeynach @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 10:54 AM)
Attendance doesn't matter anymore, this isnt 1990. Have you seen the AAV of the TV contracts that a good 1/3 of MLB has received in the last 5 years. Have you not noticed the influx of revenue all teams receive from MLB advanced media. Have you not noticed how the White Sox in the bottom 1/3 in attendance almost every year are constantly in the top 1/3 in major league payroll. Teams, especially the White Sox have introduced so many non ticket sale produced revenue streams into the equation in the last ten years it just doesn't matter. I wouldn't be surprised if half of MLB get more money from media rights than ticket sales every season. This old default view that attendance and team payroll are proportional needs to go away, things have changed considerably since 2004.

Yep, it's now only 25-35% of total revenue streams for most teams, as opposed to 50% or more like it traditionally used to be.

For some clubs, it's in the 15-20% range even.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 12:54 PM)

Some portion of that was likely due to the White Sox having one of the highest average ticket prices in MLB over previous years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 12:06 PM)
Some portion of that was likely due to the White Sox having one of the highest average ticket prices in MLB over previous years.

Either way they obviously figured out how to not only survive, but thrive with proverbial low attendance.