Attendance

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 09:01 AM)
White Sox fans are some of the biggest whiners in the league. Go read WSI and see what they complain about. It's unbelievable. Workers not smiling at them. There even is someone now saying the K-Zone for Chris Sale's starts is destined to be a "marketing disaster".

And you get banned at WSI if you talk about attendance

Edited by The Mighty Mite

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 10:00 AM)
Sox fans are bandwagon fans is what it all boils down to. They won't come out if the team isn't very good. They came out in April of 06, despite all of the same factors still existing. Win, and the fans come back. Wasting hours of radio on such a stupid topic is exactly why listening to talk sports is as productive as smashing your face into a wall.

I am a teacher and I had it on at the gym this morning. Then I had an early morning plan period and they were still talking about it.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 03:42 PM)
Was going to say 30k at least for Thursday night but looks like the night weather has been downgraded from 70 to 59. Still, Red Sox, Sale vs Lester, lot of people off on Friday and it's going into a holiday weekend. Should see a huge crowd.

Sounds accurate.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 10:42 AM)
Was going to say 30k at least for Thursday night but looks like the night weather has been downgraded from 70 to 59. Still, Red Sox, Sale vs Lester, lot of people off on Friday and it's going into a holiday weekend. Should see a huge crowd.

Last year the 3 Boston games were weekday night games in late May and none had more than 22,000. The team was still hovering around .500 too. Plus, the Hawks game 1 is that night, so some people may stay home.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 04:51 PM)
Last year the 3 Boston games were weekday night games in late May and none had more than 22,000. The team was still hovering around .500 too. Plus, the Hawks game 1 is that night, so some people may stay home.

Thursday is essentially a holiday game though so that should push the crowds out. Red Sox too should have 5x the bandwagon again compared to last year. Unfortunately looks like the weather will damper things anyways

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 09:47 AM)
Peavy made some comments yesterday about how it was unfortunate that the fans didn't come out in 2012. Now The Mully and Hanley Show and Mac and Spiegs have been talking about it all day. Some of these f***ing idiots that call and text in make it embarrassing to be a White Sox fan. Just a bunch of f***ing excuse makers. It's too expensive. It's not fun. The team is bad. It's cold. The neighborhood is bad. It's hard to get to. All of which are bulls***. White Sox fans suck sometimes. It's not too expensive. Numerous people have mentioned how there is nowhere to go after the game. There are tons of places near the ballpark but why is it necessary to go out after? If everything is so expensive, then eat and drink in the parking lot which they allow you to do. It being cold is a valid excuse in April but I wish these callers and texters today would just drive off the road.

I would've came in 2012 but couldn't bear coming to see Peavey disappoint the fans game after game.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 11:16 AM)
Thursday is essentially a holiday game though so that should push the crowds out. Red Sox too should have 5x the bandwagon again compared to last year. Unfortunately looks like the weather will damper things anyways

Yes, this is a huge factor I overlooked.

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 11:21 AM)
I would've came in 2012 but couldn't bear coming to see Peavey disappoint the fans game after game.

Ha, well said.

Honestly, I think the cubs awfulness since 08 onward has hurt sox attendance. In early 00s both teams had exciting teams, with cubs oscillating more than sox. When the cubs fell off of a cliff and then sox slow decline since 08 (even with 12, our 10/11 campaigns were fueled by huge June's) people just have not been talking about baseball for a few years. And when nobody is talkinga bout baseball casual fans will not think "Hey I should go to a baseball game"

QUOTE (joeynach @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 12:58 AM)
There wont be 10K people there then. U could give me scout seats to tomorrow nights game I am not going out there to freeze my a$$ off. Much happier from my couch and 55" LED in HD.

That's dumb. You give me free scout seats, I will sit through a tornado. Those seats and the amenities provided are absolutely amazing.

Sox fans are the biggest bunch of complainers out there. It truly makes me embarrassed to be a fan sometimes.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 06:58 AM)
There wont be 10K people there then. U could give me scout seats to tomorrow nights game I am not going out there to freeze my a$$ off. Much happier from my couch and 55" LED in HD.

37 degrees ain't nothing if you get bundled up. I wish that I could attend some of these weekday games.

It's a 'whatever' topic. When the Sox get really good, they'll draw 30K+, especially when school is out.

All of the reasons are valid not to go to a game:

-rebuilding/young team that isn't expected to win (some people need a winner to go)

-coming off a 99 loss season

-harsh winter probably scared people off from buying April tickets in advance (can you blame them?)

-Cubs being bad hurts the Sox (a theory I've heard before and makes some sense)

-local minor league teams more affordable for families that want to go to a game, even though it's an inferior product

-traffic (tired when you get there, regret the next day when you get home at 11:30/midnight)

-cold. Nobody in their right mind would walk up tonight, when there are 70+ games to choose from the rest of the season

It's fun to go to a baseball game, but there just aren't enough Sox fans to penetrate all 81 home games.

They'll draw 1.6-1.7 mil this year, and once the team is better, it will go up over 2 mil, which is good for the White Sox.

If we don't draw as many fans as last season, this will be the 8th straight season that attendance has declined from the previous season.

I see it as a downward trend that will only get worse until we're drawing less than 10K a year and last in attendance by a considerable gap. I don't even think a winning season and a postseason appearance will change things at this point. I think the only way to draw fans again is to tear down the stadium and build a new one. Somewhere far away from 35th and Shields.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 12:26 PM)
It's a 'whatever' topic. When the Sox get really good, they'll draw 30K+, especially when school is out.

All of the reasons are valid not to go to a game:

-rebuilding/young team that isn't expected to win (some people need a winner to go)

-coming off a 99 loss season

-harsh winter probably scared people off from buying April tickets in advance (can you blame them?)

-Cubs being bad hurts the Sox (a theory I've heard before and makes some sense)

-local minor league teams more affordable for families that want to go to a game, even though it's an inferior product

-traffic (tired when you get there, regret the next day when you get home at 11:30/midnight)

-cold. Nobody in their right mind would walk up tonight, when there are 70+ games to choose from the rest of the season

It's fun to go to a baseball game, but there just aren't enough Sox fans to penetrate all 81 home games.

They'll draw 1.6-1.7 mil this year, and once the team is better, it will go up over 2 mil, which is good for the White Sox.

Can you Explain the Cubs being bad hurts the sox theory?

QUOTE (bshah723 @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 04:59 PM)

In a nutshell, when the Cubs are good, they pack their park with demand to spare. That demand spills over to people that decide to go to a White Sox game.

And just overall baseball interest in the city. We're the diehards that only love the Sox, but there are people that just want to go to a baseball game for entertainment.

QUOTE (bshah723 @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 04:59 PM)

The Cubs are the area's most popular baseball team. It's just a fact.

When the Cubs are doing well, it gets the area in general more excited about baseball and puts the sport front and center in the local conversation, rather than silly Bears training camp countdowns. More people being excited about baseball means that they just want to see a baseball game, and the casual types and families who find it's simpler and more affordable to get Sox tickets (and not having to worry about restricted view and all that) see a game wherever. I wouldn't be surprised if in the last decade or so the Cougars see an increase in attendance in a season where one or both MLB teams are doing well, too.

QUOTE (SouthSidePride05 @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 04:36 PM)
If we don't draw as many fans as last season, this will be the 8th straight season that attendance has declined from the previous season.

I see it as a downward trend that will only get worse until we're drawing less than 10K a year and last in attendance by a considerable gap. I don't even think a winning season and a postseason appearance will change things at this point. I think the only way to draw fans again is to tear down the stadium and build a new one. Somewhere far away from 35th and Shields.

What's wrong with 35th Street?

By the way, Cubs attendance has been in a 5-year decline, likely to be 6.

It's the normal ebb and flow of things. In the day an age of expanded playoffs, it just is not good enough to contend every one in a while, a playoff drought like the one the Sox have had is going to really cut into the season ticket base. Add to that the bottoming out last year, a Hawks team that has captivated the city since Rocky Wirtz took over, and an awful unemployment rate, and you get the attendance issue. The fascinating thing is the Sox generate enough revenue to be middle-of-the-pack when they don't fill the seats. Flavum has a really good handle on this.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 06:08 PM)
What's wrong with 35th Street?

By the way, Cubs attendance has been in a 5-year decline, likely to be 6.

It's the normal ebb and flow of things. In the day an age of expanded playoffs, it just is not good enough to contend every one in a while, a playoff drought like the one the Sox have had is going to really cut into the season ticket base. Add to that the bottoming out last year, a Hawks team that has captivated the city since Rocky Wirtz took over, and an awful unemployment rate, and you get the attendance issue. The fascinating thing is the Sox generate enough revenue to be middle-of-the-pack when they don't fill the seats. Flavum has a really good handle on this.

Good points Marty. Also like to add high taxes, high cost of living, high health insurance premiums and an Illinois' population has been declining for years. People just don't have the money they once had. Its really no surprise at all that attendance is declining year after year.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 06:19 PM)
Good points Marty. Also like to add high taxes, high cost of living, high health insurance premiums and an Illinois' population has been declining for years. People just don't have the money they once had. Its really no surprise at all that attendance is declining year after year.

I'm a Senior Citizen and paid 1.25 for General Admission seats back in the 50s and 60s. It's hard to believe how much it is now to go to a ball game or any sporting event. I think it's reached a point were people are saying I'm not going to pay this kind of money anymore to go to a ball game. 2012 was a defining year as Sox fans with a team that was in first place 117 days but did not even hit the 2 million plateau. I give Sox management kudos for trying to resolve the issues that have kept people away from the park such as dynamic pricing and crazy parking fees. All that being said it still hurts to see the Sox just about last in attendance, 10,000,000 in the metro area and only 14,000 on a Sunday afternoon?

Edited by The Mighty Mite

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 07:19 PM)

Yet the other 3 major sports teams in Chicago keep raising ticket prices and selling out every game.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 08:19 PM)
Yet the other 3 major sports teams in Chicago keep raising ticket prices and selling out every game.

Might be comparing apples and oranges.

Bears have only 8 regular season games, Sox have 81.

The Hawks and Bulls play indoors so no weather issues except getting to the game, they sell out but the Sox still average more fannies in the seats. Would the Hawks and Bulls sell out a 40,000 seat arena for 81 games?

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 07:19 PM)

The population decrease in Illinois is shocking, the south side and burbs has been hit particularly hard in this economic downturn. I'm an optimist though when it comes to this and believe it's ripe for a turnaround when the overall economy gets better.

Look at yesterday's attendances: Baltimore 15.7 74 degrees, Philadelphia 26.5 74 degrees, Texas 23.1 52 degrees (Texas 52???) Anyway, seems like a lot of places in MLB are having a downturn in ticket sales.

at Detroit...postponed

at Cincy (2nd game of DH against Pirates)...18,462

at Milwaukee (hated Cardinals)....27,470

at Minnesota (boring Blue Jays)....21,818

Of course, Milwaukee has the roof...and any new White Sox stadium has to have the retractable feature, which will make it all the more expensive for it to be privately-financed.

13,402 mostly Boston fans at USCF