Sox vs Twins April 3 game thread

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 02:55 PM)
No it's not.

It's not a law or anything, but teams tend to stick their worst outfielder in LF.

I don't know if there's any real evidence to backup that LF is somehow the easiest outfield position, but from the very small sample size of data we do have on Garcia, he's atrocious in RF and CF, but not awful in LF in his VERY limited time.

AND ADAM DUNN!

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 02:55 PM)
DJ and Dan Gladden both argue that he simply lost it in the lights...of course, it's easy to say he should have pulled up and just blocked it, preventing the 3rd run from scoring, but that's the correct play if you can't pick it up in RCF there.

The lights only affect balls hit right at you. When you move toward the gap, the lights are not an issue as you are looking in more toward home plate where there is no light standard.

Either way, Garcia is going to struggle in the outfield and hopefully his bat will make up for it.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 01:59 PM)
It's not a law or anything, but teams tend to stick their worst outfielder in LF.

I don't know if there's any real evidence to backup that LF is somehow the easiest outfield position, but from the very small sample size of data we do have on Garcia, he's atrocious in RF and CF, but not awful in LF in his VERY limited time.

AND ADAM DUNN!

That, and the outfielders with the best arms usually play RF...while there have been some "speed" guys like Pierre or Pods in LF, it's stereotypically been the position of plodding guys like a Pete Incaviglia or Kevin Reimer who they can't stick at 1B/DH/3B but they still want to fit the bat into the line-up somehow.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 09:00 PM)
So in the 8th inning yesterday, Dunn made the score 5-4. The Sox eventually won in extras.

Today, in the 5th inning, Dunn made the score 5-4. The Sox eventually win 14-6.

Great Idea :cheers

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 02:57 PM)
That is the prevailing theory in baseball not really just a unique opinion I hold.

Who said it was unique? I asked if it was your opinion for clarification. I prefer him in right because of his arm, I like a strong arm throwing home from RF.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 03:03 PM)
Who said it was unique? I asked if it was your opinion for clarification. I prefer him in right because of his arm, I like a strong arm throwing home from RF.

Range is a hell of a lot more important than arm. As you can see in this game today.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 02:02 PM)
The lights only affect balls hit right at you. When you move toward the gap, the lights are not an issue as you are looking in more toward home plate where there is no light standard.

Either way, Garcia is going to struggle in the outfield and hopefully his bat will make up for it.

All I can do is defer to the opinion of two former major league outfielders who both have played RF at US Cellular.

DJ usually doesn't make excuses for players (he was all over them about the botched rundown).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 03:04 PM)
Range is a hell of a lot more important than arm. As you can see in this game today.

The first 3 games havent "proven" anything to me other than we look like we have more energy and confidence. Baseball is not a sprint.

What if Dunn has a career year hoping to get a new hefty contract somewhere?

Maybe our new hitting coach is great. We're actually hitting lousy pitchers this year the way they deserve to be hit.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 03:04 PM)
All I can do is defer to the opinion of two former major league outfielders who both have played RF at US Cellular.

DJ usually doesn't make excuses for players (he was all over them about the botched rundown).

Are you actually watching or just listening?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 02:03 PM)

Simply for that longest throw in the game....RF to 3B, first to third on a single.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 07:58 PM)
Love Abreu power to right center.

Like a 1st ballot HOFer that wore 35 used to do here. It's baseball goodness seeing a righty drive a rocket the opposite way :D