Sox vs Twins April 3 game thread

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 11:07 AM)
Can anyone comment as to whether they will open the lower deck to everyone? Or would I need to buy a LD ticket to be in the lower deck? You never know with these games.

Unless it's a season ticket, you are going to need a lower deck seat for access unless you use your imagination and get by the person checking tickets.

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 11:05 AM)
So moving Semien out of the 2 spot would be overreacting, but starting Flowers 3 games in a row because he hasn't played well the first 2 shouldn't happen?

Flowers has a track record of poor performance and his first two starts has yielded a 66% K rate. Semien is 4 years younger, in his first real stint, and has put barrel on the ball at a much greater rate so far. Sample size aside, feel free to give me one good reason why Flowers should be starting over Nieto today? His defense? lol

QUOTE (Dunt @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 10:55 AM)
Would love to hear one good reason why Tyler Flowers is starting again. Also, happy Ventura isn't overreacting and moving Semien out of the 2 spot. It's where he belongs.

Because the team is worried about exposing a catcher who hasn't played above A ball. He is going to start 1 time per week to give Flowers a rest.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 11:08 AM)
Semien and Nieto are supposed to be the future here, Flowers is more than likely playing for a contract elsewhere.

Back up catchers get plenty of time, especially since the Sox don't have a workhorse behind the plate. If Flowers leash was 2 bad games, they shouldn't have given him one to begin with because everyone on the team will have 2 bad games in a row this year, several times.

Nieto will play, but I think people will realize he probably is in over his head fairly quickly.

The fact is, if Nieto didn't have to be returned if the Sox wanted to send him to the minors, he wouldn't be here.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 11:10 AM)
Lets not jump to conclusions about him yet.

I just want to see him so i can draw a conclusion. I think it is safe to say we know what we have in Flowers. I am not saying Nieto should be handed the starting job right now, but giving him the start today after Flowers struck out 4 times in 7 ABs wouldnt kill this team.

And if Gillaspie wasnt sick, I think Leury may have gotten a start over Semien as well, and that wouldnt bother me either.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 09:17 AM)
And if Gillaspie wasnt sick, I think Leury may have gotten a start over Semien as well, and that wouldnt bother me either.

I think nerves got to Semien or he just got stuck with some bad luck in his first 2 games, but I really do think he'll surprise us. He's a solid player.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 11:25 AM)
I think nerves got to Semien or he just got stuck with some bad luck in his first 2 games, but I really do think he'll surprise us. He's a solid player.

He'll be fine. Even if he isn't quite ready today, the kid will be an everyday type player once the lightswitch goes on.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 04:05 PM)
I really think the plan is just start ADA 5 days a week, boost up his trade value, then trade him at the deadline. You're gonna get a lot more value for a full time player vs platooning the 2 and trying to trade one. Zero problem with this if that's the case.

I'm thinking, they are stalling this year out. Knowing that Konerko and Dunn aren't on this team next year, Viciedo is a perfect DH with De Aza as the full time LF. So this year, its going to be messy, but next year will open up.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 11:30 AM)
I'm thinking, they are stalling this year out. Knowing that Konerko and Dunn aren't on this team next year, Viciedo is a perfect DH with De Aza as the full time LF. So this year, its going to be messy, but next year will open up.

I do not believe Viciedo is a perfect DH. For all the b****ing about Dunn, he's a far more productive hitter than Viciedo.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 10:14 AM)
Back up catchers get plenty of time, especially since the Sox don't have a workhorse behind the plate. If Flowers leash was 2 bad games, they shouldn't have given him one to begin with because everyone on the team will have 2 bad games in a row this year, several times.

Nieto will play, but I think people will realize he probably is in over his head fairly quickly.

The fact is, if Nieto didn't have to be returned if the Sox wanted to send him to the minors, he wouldn't be here.

You may be right on that last point, but also keep in mind that he's here to fill a role this organization lacks. We dont have LH hitting catchers and he's going to be here, doing that, on the days that is called for. Sure, it wont be a straight platoon but it still will be a role he's filling once a week.

What catcher OPSes does he have to be an improvement on from last year? .600 for Flowers, .500 for Phegley. Not tall timber.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 12:02 PM)
You may be right on that last point, but also keep in mind that he's here to fill a role this organization lacks. We dont have LH hitting catchers and he's going to be here, doing that, on the days that is called for. Sure, it wont be a straight platoon but it still will be a role he's filling once a week.

What catcher OPSes does he have to be an improvement on from last year? .600 for Flowers, .500 for Phegley. Not tall timber.

Just because he bats left handed and the Sox apparently need a LH hitting catcher as long as his name is not AJ, doesn't mean he can hit. The guy has not played above A ball. Chances are, he will be no better vs. RHP than either Flowers or Phegley or some guy the Sox could have claimed on waivers.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 10:25 AM)
cott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 41m

Webb is unavailable today. Told me yesterday he's ready for extended relief work if that's what's asked of him.

WTF.

Talk about a conflicting statement.

That's like saying...

I said I don't like bananas today. I said to the ice cream man, give me a banana split if you've got bananas please.

Why are they moving Semien around already?

I can understand with L.Garcia, he's not an integral piece of the long-term plan at this point, but I don't know why they're seemingly content with turning Semien into a utility guy.

Just increasing his versatility before Beckham returns?

Still don't get that, because he should be in Charlotte playing everyday at either SS or 2B, one or the other. Probably 2B, with Carlos Sanchez at SS.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 12:44 PM)

I can understand with L.Garcia, he's not an integral piece of the long-term plan at this point, but I don't know why they're seemingly content with turning Semien into a utility guy.

Still don't get that, because he should be in Charlotte playing everyday at either SS or 2B, one or the other. Probably 2B, with Carlos Sanchez at SS.

Because Semien is a better 3B than Leury, and Gillaspie is sick.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 12:44 PM)

Connor is so selfish that he got the flu. Connor hates the team.