Guthrie, Chen

greg775

The Royals are starting Guthrie and Chen against the Sox and skipping Ace Ventura's turn because Guthrie and Chen own the White Sox.

But this to me is stupid.

Do the Royals believe Guthrie and Chen own the White Sox uniform?? The Sox have so many new players they are not really the White Sox that Guthrie and Chen have owned in the past. It's like the Royals are counting on the fact KC's Chen and Guthrie are facing uniforms they are used to dominating, not real players. Don't you agree with me that's stupid and our hitters just might lick their chops and knock out Guthrie and Chen both? I'd rather face them than Ventura.

p.s.: Mods can make this the game thread if they want and change the title.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 11:00 PM)
Or maybe they are just saving a start from Ventura's arm in this, his rookie season. It's not uncommon to skip rookie SP's starts when you can.

Especially when the weather's questionable.

They also probably don't want him to face the pressure of starting the home opener. Just a theory.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 01:37 AM)
Especially when the weather's questionable.

They also probably don't want him to face the pressure of starting the home opener. Just a theory.

Yeah, I agree. Guthrie was scheduled for the home opener and they're sticking with it. Ventura will start next Wednesday, so it's possible he'll be in the bullpen today.

On the Cy Chen stuff, the Sox have new players. It's a new year. Play fundamental baseball, and the Sox have a good shot to win a couple games this weekend.

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/04/03/49353...ntura-robs.html

Here's the answer for Greg.

Basically, there is no "good" answer, just a hunch/feeling. The fact that Guthrie's had more success with the Sox than any pitcher in recent years. Avoiding pressure of home opener. Keeping Shields from going a week between starts. Protecting his arm, etc.

• 2 weeks later...