Kansas City Royals vs Chicago White Sox 3:10 PM

Kyyle23

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 09:23 PM)
Welcome to the rebuild.

It was unrealistic to expect to hit on all three of Garcia, Eaton and Davidson, but at least 2/3 making it....that's pretty much critical.

Obviously, the season's still young...at some point they're going to have to ditch Dunn in order to give Viciedo more regular at-bats than playing roughly 1/4th of the time.

I don't know if it's realistic to expect a competent offense in 2015 by simply plugging in one of DeAza/Eaton/Garcia/Viciedo into the DH spot.

On the plus side, though, we are getting more and more athletic with additions of Semien, Eaton and Leury Garcia. Still, we're dealing with a somewhat unexpected downside...the benefit of shifting DeAza to LF and putting Eaton is CF has been offset negatively by Avisail's shoddy/plodding defense in RF so far.

We're much younger with Garcia in RF than Rios, but we're losing stolen bases, power (so far) and defensive ability. Garcia has the stronger arm, sure, but his fundamentals have been so poor that it's about as helpful as Jermaine Dye possessing a strong arm but always throwing flat-footed or falling backwards. Say what you want about Viciedo, but he always gets his forward momentum behind the ball when he's making a throw.

I wonder if Garcia will improve as a defender. He appears to have no instincts as far as chasing the ball. I'm not giving up on him by any means, but he looks uncomfortable in the outfield. If he catches that little looper in right field then three runs don't score.

I'm shocked the Royals were playing so shallow on that catch by Cain that ended that one inning. With Abreu's power you'd think the outfield would have been deeper. Had that little pop to center fallen the game might have been more interesting.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 08:47 PM)
I wonder if Garcia will improve as a defender. He appears to have no instincts as far as chasing the ball. I'm not giving up on him by any means, but he looks uncomfortable in the outfield. If he catches that little looper in right field then three runs don't score.

I'm shocked the Royals were playing so shallow on that catch by Cain that ended that one inning. With Abreu's power you'd think the outfield would have been deeper. Had that little pop to center fallen the game might have been more interesting.

The advanced defensive metrics saw this coming... Personally thou, there's not a single game that sticks out in my mind last year where his play in the field was this poor.

Going strictly on "an eye test" - he's gotta get better.

Edit: Metrically speaking, he's f***ed.

Edited by hi8is