Erik Johnson's start

Jack Parkman

I remember Johnson's Fastball in the 92-95 range last September. Today he was 87-90. What happened? I hope it is a late onset of dead arm and he returns to his previous velocity because he was throwing meat today. If the velocity woes continue for another 3-4 starts, they should send him down. Is it possible he is hurt and not telling anyone? I was baffled when he threw his fastball consistently around 89 in the first inning.

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 08:51 PM)
I remember Johnson's Fastball in the 92-95 range last September. Today he was 87-90. What happened? I hope it is a late onset of dead arm and he returns to his previous velocity because he was throwing meat today. If the velocity woes continue for another 3-4 starts, they should send him down. Is it possible he is hurt and not telling anyone? I was baffled when he threw his fastball consistently around 89 in the first inning.

It happens to a lot of pitchers this time of year. I'm not concerned about it now but if it lasts longer than April, then yeah, be concerned.

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Apr 5, 2014 -> 01:51 AM)

I agree he was lousy today. If Robin can keep this team around .500 he deserves manager of the year. Weaknesses: Bullpen, defense. If/when our offense stops hitting we will be in a 99-loss world of hurt.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 11:12 PM)
Then sick back dude. Lots of today's coming at you.

Personally I think we gel and take a step towards 90. I like the energy.

Pretty optimistic - but it's possible. I do believe a vast majority of the weakness we've seen in this team will be naturally addressed in a short time.

IE: Starting pitching tightening it up, defense coming together, bullpen control coming around.

There's lots of room for growth. 90 wins this year or not, the step is the important part of your statement.

Unequivocally we'll do that. My crystal ball already showed me.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Apr 5, 2014 -> 01:21 AM)
Pretty optimistic - but it's possible. I do believe a vast majority of the weakness we've seen in this team will be naturally addressed in a short time.

IE: Starting pitching tightening it up, defense coming together, bullpen control coming around.

There's lots of room for growth. 90 wins this year or not, the step is the important part of your statement.

Unequivocally we'll do that. My crystal ball already showed me.

Cleto and Jones are unlikely to "just get it" and click for more than 2-3 months at a time. Jones, due to mechanics...they're going to be maddeningly inconsistent.

Cleto's going to have to get ahead in counts and keep hitters from sitting on the fastball or he'll get killed even at 95-98. Let's cross our fingers on another Don Cooper miracle, though. The Cardinals and Royals couldn't afford to have him work out his problems at the big league level...whereas the Sox can.

Lindstrom doesn't even have close to Sergio Santos level stuff. He'll be one of those 60-70% save conversion guys who become valuable set-up men in the 2nd half on another team but who don't merit a huge package. Let's just say the odds of him becoming the next JJ Putz are somewhere between slim and none.

Belisario might end up surprising...or Veal. It seems Downs has just gotten old, like Thornton did over the last couple of seasons.

We need Webb and Petricka and someone like Guerra or Boggs to go all Cliff Politte.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Apr 5, 2014 -> 04:34 AM)
PITCHf/x at brooksbaseball.net had his average fastball velo at 89.72 today vs. 92.78 last September.

Just one start but worrying nonetheless.

1st Regular Season start of the year.'nuff said.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 5, 2014 -> 02:12 AM)

90 losses is still a step in the right direction after last year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 5, 2014 -> 07:12 AM)

I'm not a cubs fan, I can't afford to be accepting of error filled baseball, and rookie pitchers being set up for failure. Ventura is the one that is chillin, just like he did last year acting as if everything will work itself out. I didn't get to watch EJ last season, but he never did that s***. Hopefully it is not a situation similar to Nate Jones.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 5, 2014 -> 12:03 PM)
From personal experience, I would say yes. At the second game, I was throwing about 33-34 mph on the radar gun on the outfield concourse. I'm usually in the 36-37 mph range.

That could've been rust.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 5, 2014 -> 12:03 PM)
From personal experience, I would say yes. At the second game, I was throwing about 33-34 mph on the radar gun on the outfield concourse. I'm usually in the 36-37 mph range.

We should get you working with Herm on the shoulder regimen. We could have you up to 42-45 in no time.