4/5- White Sox @ Royals 1:10 PM CT

Jose Abreu

Man people living and dying with these games already? This team isn't going to be very good. Enjoy the youth and take the good times with the struggles otherwise it's going to be a long year. I'm looking forward to that Winston Salem game later.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 5, 2014 -> 03:15 PM)
-We need to stop scoring and giving the run back the next 1/2 inning

-Our relief pitching sucks

-Robin cannot handle this bullpen

-Thank God it's Sale tomorrow

But, it's also Big Game James Shields.

Not an easy match-up.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 5, 2014 -> 04:21 PM)
Man people living and dying with these games already? This team isn't going to be very good. Enjoy the youth and take the good times with the struggles otherwise it's going to be a long year. I'm looking forward to that Winston Salem game later.

We know that but Robin is f***ing terrible

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 5, 2014 -> 03:21 PM)

Not living or dying.

Ventura just has no instincts about managing a bullpen.

Say what you want about Ozzie, he always had more of a knack for it, although he started playing it too much by the book at the end..too predictable.

The last game of the Twins' series actually hurt...especially after Semien's homer and then blowing it, rallying from being down and out and then taking the lead twice.

Didn't expect to win this one.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 5, 2014 -> 09:58 PM)
You can't win games without a bullpen, Hahn. Go find one ASAP.

Too late for this year unless they turn some starters into relievers. Just think when we do get a slim lead, who the hell is going to close it out?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 5, 2014 -> 09:59 PM)
The key was our bullpen would have blown it anyway.

It doesn't help that Ventura:

1) Doesn't realize how badly Moustakas is hitting

2) That Cleto is a FB pitcher and Perez a FB killer

3) That he actually can walk Perez, the best catcher in baseball, to face Moustakas with the veteran Downs...it's not like Moustakas is now 0 for 15 or anything...or can hit sliders well...but maybe Ventura's going off spring training results, lol.

Still, if DeAza just puts the ball in play we might have stole a game. The fans were restless and booing Wade at that point. Maybe we'd have stolen one.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 5, 2014 -> 10:21 PM)

It's tough to "enjoy the youth" when you actually watch the entire game and your favorite team appears to have a chance to beat the heavily favored team and blows it. The highlight of that game from a Sox standpoint was the throw by Nieto to nail Dyson. Lot of lowlights.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 5, 2014 -> 04:27 PM)
Too late for this year unless they turn some starters into relievers. Just think when we do get a slim lead, who the hell is going to close it out?

Still, if DeAza just puts the ball in play we might have stole a game. The fans were restless and booing Wade at that point. Maybe we'd have stolen one.

It's tough to "enjoy the youth" when you actually watch the entire game and your favorite team appears to have a chance to beat the heavily favored team and blows it. The highlight of that game from a Sox standpoint was the throw by Nieto to nail Dyson. Lot of lowlights.

The highlight for me was Ramirez continuing to hit so that the Sox can trade him.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 5, 2014 -> 10:42 PM)
The highlight for me was Ramirez continuing to hit so that the Sox can trade him.

Isn't this the last year of his contract? Nobody knows how old he really is? I wouldn't think the Sox can get much for him.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 5, 2014 -> 04:50 PM)
Isn't this the last year of his contract? Nobody knows how old he really is? I wouldn't think the Sox can get much for him.

He's signed through '15 with team option for '16. We know how old he is. Cuba has been keeping very solid records since before he was born.

There's plenty of talent in the bullpen, it's just a matter of finding out which roles are right for people and which guys will stick and which have to go. Petricka is a good example of a guy who didn't quite make it out of ST but could very well become a key cog.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 5, 2014 -> 07:11 PM)
No.

I think he influences it more than you think. He certainly is the guy behind Sale with high pitch counts the last couple years when people here were calling for Ventura's head for leaving him in. He thinks "pitch count guys" are idiots.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 5, 2014 -> 08:11 PM)
No.

What are you basing that on. On most teams the pitching and bullpen coach set a rotation for the bullpen set up guys for the game They track not only appearances but also up and downs warming up. Are you saying this doesn't happen w the Sox???

What he's trying to argue is the Cooper is the one who decided to use Cleto against Perez instead of walking Perez to face the 0 for the season Moustakas with a veteran lefty comfortable in the situation who has the slider (which Moustakas struggles against) to record yet another out against Moustakas (0 for 4, 2 K's, career against Downs).

Do I believe Ventura is the one who made that decision? 100% yes.

He just said it in a "general" way because Cooper does have more control of the pitching staff and decisions than most MLB pitching coaches, that is true.

FWIW, Salvador Perez is 3rd in the majors in OPS. Moustakas is last. Short sample, sure...but you don't face that guy instead of an 0-14 guy who's under all the pressure in the world to live up to expectations.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 5, 2014 -> 09:34 PM)
What he's trying to argue is the Cooper is the one who decided to use Cleto against Perez instead of walking Perez to face the 0 for the season Moustakas with a veteran lefty comfortable in the situation who has the slider (which Moustakas struggles against) to record yet another out against Moustakas (0 for 4, 2 K's, career against Downs).

Do I believe Ventura is the one who made that decision? 100% yes.

He just said it in a "general" way because Cooper does have more control of the pitching staff and decisions than most MLB pitching coaches, that is true.

FWIW, Salvador Perez is 3rd in the majors in OPS. Moustakas is last. Short sample, sure...but you don't face that guy instead of an 0-14 guy who's under all the pressure in the world to live up to expectations.

The funny thing is everyone wants to rip Ventura for not managing every game like it is the 7th game of the WS, yet on the other hand say the Sox have no shot this year. If they have no shot, what is the harm in seeing what they have in Cleto? If he is going to be effective, he is going to have to come in and get surefire first ballot HOfers like Perez out. If he can't, he isn't half the pitcher Soxtalk pegged him to be less than a week ago. I do know one thing, Downs wasn't looking too effective yesterday. If he did what people wanted and it didn't work, there would have been complaints, and if you don't think Copper influences pitching decisions, you are in denial.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 6, 2014 -> 04:44 AM)
The funny thing is everyone wants to rip Ventura for not managing every game like it is the 7th game of the WS, yet on the other hand say the Sox have no shot this year. If they have no shot, what is the harm in seeing what they have in Cleto? If he is going to be effective, he is going to have to come in and get surefire first ballot HOfers like Perez out. If he can't, he isn't half the pitcher Soxtalk pegged him to be less than a week ago. I do know one thing, Downs wasn't looking too effective yesterday. If he did what people wanted and it didn't work, there would have been complaints, and if you don't think Copper influences pitching decisions, you are in denial.

I didn't have a problem with it, too bad he threw a hanger. Wouldn't have minded seeing Webb there either, in hindsight.