AND THATS A WHITE SOX WINNER!

Heads22

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 12:06 AM)
Yeah. And they rushed there. Don't discount Eaton's effect on this clubhouse. And Abreu for a weak English speaker has already gained

Lots of respect.

Some people don't realize who really led the 2005 team. And it wasn't Ozzie.

Everett and Rowand always, right or wrong, get the most mentions in that department.

Then there was that other group...Buehrle/Crede/AJ...along with Konerko and Dye.

Looking back, I've always felt Dye didn't get enough credit.

And Uribe was kind of the ringleader, the player that everyone loved to have around, the glue that held everything together and was the one player that could go back and forth seamlessly between the white, Hispanic and African-American players.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 01:18 AM)
Everett and Rowand always, right or wrong, get the most mentions in that department.

Then there was that other group...Buehrle/Crede/AJ...along with Konerko and Dye.

Looking back, I've always felt Dye didn't get enough credit.

And Uribe was kind of the ringleader, the player that everyone loved to have around, the glue that held everything together and was the one player that could go back and forth seamlessly between the white, Hispanic and African-American players.

Rowand/crede/ajp etc were a huge reason they won a title. Everyone liked each other. The chemistry from the lineup to the pen was unreal. To this day these guys stay in touch.

Uribe was such a sleeper. Not the best at English but the best clubhouse guy. He brought that infield together.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 6, 2014 -> 11:36 PM)
So here's the rub. I don't think Beckham is in the future plans.

Flowers, thought I hate him as a player, is an incredible clubhouse guy. I still think he's a future

Backup somewhere else. Phegley seemed to have a lot of support.

One other sleeper leader: Chris Sale. At his age he has Buehele type influence. He's know as a die hard competitor. Quintana is getting there as well and Danks is highly respected.

Lots of room to grow but I like the core. Davidson should be part but EVERYONE love Gilespie.

Forgot about Danks...partially because of the fact that we've come to think of someone on his way out rather than part of the future plans. That one could go either way.

If they're undecided how to fit Davidson and Gillaspie into the line-up, they can always move one of them over to 1B/DH.

The popular line of thinking has always been we need to bring in one more big bat (Sandoval, Rasmus, Morales, etc.) going into 2015, but we'll see.

They're definitely going to be better off adding the right veteran into the mix...as they will have one of the youngest teams in the majors when Konerko/Dunn both depart. And then the decisions on Ramirez/Semien/Sanchez. It would be huge if Semien could actually stick at SS defensively.

Otherwise, you have to worry about a team without a single above average defender at any position...other than perhaps Eaton and Flowers/Nieto. Theoretically, Semien could get there at 2B, but probably will always be an average SS at best.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 01:27 AM)
Forgot about Danks...partially because of the fact that we've come to think of someone on his way out rather than part of the future plans. That one could go either way.

If they're undecided how to fit Davidson and Gillaspie into the line-up, they can always move one of them over to 1B/DH.

The popular line of thinking has always been we need to bring in one more big bat (Sandoval, Rasmus, Morales, etc.) going into 2015, but we'll see.

They're definitely going to be better off adding the right veteran into the mix...as they will have one of the youngest teams in the majors when Konerko/Dunn both depart. And then the decisions on Ramirez/Semien/Sanchez. It would be huge if Semien could actually stick at SS defensively.

Otherwise, you have to worry about a team without a single above average defender at any position...other than perhaps Eaton and Flowers/Nieto. Theoretically, Semien could get there at 2B, but probably will always be an average SS at best.

The thinking is 1-3 spots via free agency when the time comes to compete. At least that's what I heard. Around 40 million annual.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 6, 2014 -> 11:09 PM)
All I've heard from inside is how different this team is. Last yea they supposedly checked out at one point.

Eaton apparently wore on the vets on his old team, here he is one of the biggest leaders. That's good for us.

That's great for us. I love eaton on this team. Just gota add the right pieces around him and this pitching staff.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 01:27 AM)
Rowand/crede/ajp etc were a huge reason they won a title. Everyone liked each other. The chemistry from the lineup to the pen was unreal. To this day these guys stay in touch.

Uribe was such a sleeper. Not the best at English but the best clubhouse guy. He brought that infield together.

Uribe is absolutely loved in LA clubhouse.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 12:52 AM)
I just don't see it, especially with no closer. I just don't see us closing out many games. For instance, I'm glad the boys got four insurance runs today because no way our closer would have held KC in the ninth. Now Sale ... he might have come out in the ninth and he coulda finished off KC, but not our closer.

so which is it? Do we have a closer or don't we? Last time I check his name was Lindstrom and he came in yesterday and closed the game. Now it may have not been a save situation and he still gave up a run but he did his job.

QUOTE (MEANS @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 07:46 AM)
so which is it? Do we have a closer or don't we? Last time I check his name was Lindstrom and he came in yesterday and closed the game. Now it may have not been a save situation and he still gave up a run but he did his job.

Yeah, it's way too early to write off Lindstrom (and the entire bullpen for that matter). Looking around the majors, there are more than a few teams having similar problems. Things will level out, and I'm sure some of our existing bullpen won't be around, but some will and they'll be fine.

For all of the talk before the season started about this team not having a chance to compete, we sure are taking the losses and hiccups badly. We're six games in, and we're 3-3. Let's give it a few more weeks.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 6, 2014 -> 11:18 PM)
Now it's definitely Sale, in many ways...like when he went after the hitter with three inside fastballs until he got warned.

It should have been Beckham's role to take, but the results on the field haven't been there to merit a position of leadership...and DeAza and Ramirez aren't by nature leaders.

Another natural leader on our team should be the catcher, and Flowers/Phegley haven't performed well in that regard, although Flowers at least has the respect of the pitching staff, seemingly. If you look at the Cardinals, everything flows from Matheny/Molina outward, and that element has been sorely lacking ever since AJ left. In the void/chasm left, nothing filled its place last year and the team just collapsed like a black hole when adversity struck and Konerko was struggling through his worst season ever.

Abreu seems a LOT like Konerko, a pretty quiet guy...professional approach, but not a vocal/in your face type. Same with Quintana (or Hector Santiago, for that matter). Hard worker, great kid, but not a born/natural leader.

So yeah, it's not surprising that Eaton is already inserting himself into that role...even if right now it's more by his playing style and attitude.

Yeah, I like Sale sticking up for his guy. That goes a long way in the dugout.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 01:06 AM)
Yeah. And they rushed there. Don't discount Eaton's effect on this clubhouse. And Abreu for a weak English speaker has already gained

Lots of respect.

Some people don't realize who really led the 2005 team. And it wasn't Ozzie.

Dude I agree with you. I love the make up and attitude of this team.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 06:55 AM)
For all of the talk before the season started about this team not having a chance to compete, we sure are taking the losses and hiccups badly. We're six games in, and we're 3-3. Let's give it a few more weeks.

Yep. And it really isn't that surprising. I have to stop myself a few times daily from being too critical.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 10:34 AM)
I liked how Infante knew the pitch was coming inside again.

Actually the way it was handled by everyone involved was impressive.

-Sale knew he had a job to do, and wasn't trying to hurt Infante to do it. He was coming in, and he was going waste high to try to plant one into his waist or back where he probably wouldn't get hurt.

-Infante seemed to get that it was his turn, and that because his pitchers had plunked four guys, it was understandable. He didn't freak out, start screaming at the pitcher, etc. He was going to take it like a pro.

-The umpire let Sale come after Infante twice, and didn't say anything until he pretty much had to after the 3rd time he came in. The umpire also didn't get pissy about Sale pitching inside after the fact.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 10:45 AM)

-Sale knew he had a job to do, and wasn't trying to hurt Infante to do it. He was coming in, and he was going waste high to try to plant one into his waist or back where he probably wouldn't get hurt.

-Infante seemed to get that it was his turn, and that because his pitchers had plunked four guys, it was understandable. He didn't freak out, start screaming at the pitcher, etc. He was going to take it like a pro.

-The umpire let Sale come after Infante twice, and didn't say anything until he pretty much had to after the 3rd time he came in. The umpire also didn't get pissy about Sale pitching inside after the fact.

So how does it work after the warning is issued? No more inside pitches?

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 10:53 AM)
So how does it work after the warning is issued? No more inside pitches?

Technically you can pitch inside, but if the ump thinks you are throwing at someone, it is an automatic ejections. Many umpires have ejected pitchers when they might not have been throwing at someone, but instead were going in to move someone off of the plate.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 6, 2014 -> 11:09 PM)
All I've heard from inside is how different this team is. Last yea they supposedly checked out at one point.

Eaton apparently wore on the vets on his old team, here he is one of the biggest leaders. That's good for us.

Hawk has alluded a few times to guys' temperament...De Aza being jovial, not serious jokester. Alludes to Alexei being kind of a lazy/not intense on every play guy.

Do you think these sorts of things are accurate, and/or a problem? Or is it more like...guys like this will kind of take the shape of the club -- so if things are bad they get less intense, but when things are going good, they focus better?

I have to say, that as a Sox fan, I've had to re-learn how to watch a Sox game.

In the past few seasons (Ozzie's teams included) there seems to be a moment in a game where the momentum turned, and the air was let out of the team. They just didnt give a s*** anymore. It became really hard to watch a team give up a few run or two in the 6th or 7th inning and know as a fan, the game was over. I can't tell you how many games got turned off in the 5/6/7 inning, because there was no point in watching anymore.

The first two series this season - its clear that this team is different. They don't quit. They'll likely fight to stay above 500 all year, but they will be worth watching. Gotta respect teams that play above the collective talent level(s).

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 11:23 AM)
I have to say, that as a Sox fan, I've had to re-learn how to watch a Sox game.

In the past few seasons (Ozzie's teams included) there seems to be a moment in a game where the momentum turned, and the air was let out of the team. They just didnt give a s*** anymore. It became really hard to watch a team give up a few run or two in the 6th or 7th inning and know as a fan, the game was over. I can't tell you how many games got turned off in the 5/6/7 inning, because there was no point in watching anymore.

The first two series this season - its clear that this team is different. They don't quit. They'll likely fight to stay above 500 all year, but they will be worth watching. Gotta respect teams that play above the collective talent level(s).

Oh yea, and CHRIS SALE! :wub:

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 08:45 AM)

great point

Now that Uribe is a veteran he is a leader of the Dodgers clubhouse. He always performs well with the glove and recently the bat in the postseason.