Game Thread 4/9: SOX @ ROX

cabiness42

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This Blackmon kid looks like the real deal.

Such a pretty swing...Helton-esque. Although almost every lefty but Dunn can look picturesque.

Good job by Semien taking the throw on the 3B side and getting it across the bag without losing it or hurrying too much.

Everything T-Flow is doing, for now, is coming up roses.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 9, 2014 -> 03:04 PM)
Has Johnson always pitched like this? He looks like he doesn't even care.

From what I saw on videos through the minors (never did get to see him in person down there), he was was throwing a few ticks harder with the FB and with much better control. Also in his MLB games last year, he was sometimes tight like this, but usually not.

I think, and hope, this is more mental than physical. The loss in velocity could be scary if it is a physical problem.

Abreu with another hit.

If you're a pitcher, you really can't give Abreu anything to hit on the outer third of the plate. Once he gets those arms extended, forget about it.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Apr 9, 2014 -> 03:10 PM)
Viciedo has no patience today. Swinging at everything

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 9, 2014 -> 03:10 PM)
I'm starting to think Uribe and Viciedo are the same hitter. Except for the lack of Uribe's HR follow-through and dropping the bat quickly.

I wonder if riding the bench is part of the issue here, trying to do everything on short order.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Apr 9, 2014 -> 03:11 PM)
Rienzo has been pitching well at AAA. I wonder how long Johnson's leash is? 3 starts? 4 starts?

I've got to think at least a month, but it depends on how bad he looks. If this is mental, it could turn around in his next start. If it is physical, he could be headed to the DL.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Apr 9, 2014 -> 02:11 PM)
Rienzo has been pitching well at AAA. I wonder how long Johnson's leash is? 3 starts? 4 starts?

At least until the middle of the May, but it's a judgement call.

They'll want to at least wait until they see 2-3 starts in decent weather so they can make a better assessment of how his breaking stuff will play.

The velocity drop COULD be explained by a dead arm period or there might be something physically wrong...or he's just pressing and out of sorts mechanically and it's messing up his rhythm and arm speed. Anything is possible. Maybe he's just feeling a little pressure/stress of making a big league rotation for the first time in his career.

Semien had him played too close to RF/1B...couldn't quite get back there in time.

Lucky to have a single with a 2-0 count against Car-Go.

Garcia might have had him had he been able to get rid of the ball right away instead of crow-hopping and double-clutching.

Edited by caulfield12