NCAA basketball 2014-15 thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 16, 2015 -> 06:21 PM)
How do you make a mistake like that? That's pretty awful.

Three straight horrible Athletic Directors have completely screwed up. Sad thing is the current AD was supposed to be a great basketball mind. Massive meltdowns on the GT boards today, as the AD is now going to be on the hot seat. I HATE being a college basketball fan of a football school.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 16, 2015 -> 07:53 PM)
Damn, so now they wont be able to recruit (no coach stability), the coach is probably upset himself, barring some miracle that program is going to suck for some time. I would be livid.

No one is forcing him not to look elsewhere. There's 3 openings in Illinois, he should be going for those. The scary thing for GT is they have a decent group of players for next year, but they're all seniors. They have 5 scholarships available for 2016-2017.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 16, 2015 -> 01:18 PM)
Yep, Gregory is back. This might be the nail in the coffin with me and college hoops. It's turned into a dreadful sport anyway with all the transfers, etc.

You could always come visit here in China and see Marbury enjoying celebrity and life as an icon in the Chinese Basketball Assn, haha.

At least there's Chris Bosh memories.

Not exactly RUN TMC with Cremins, Bruce Dalrymple, Tom the Terminator Hammonds and Mark Price...Kenny Anderson, etc. Used to be a good program...

I feel the same way about the Miami Dolphins, they were bad for so long I sort of gave up on following the NFL...and, as far as college BB goes, it can't get much worse than the Lickliter/Alford years at Iowa...we survived 3 appearances in the NCAA over 13 years, a fanbase split by Alford's arrogance and Pierre Pierce rape cover-ups, and only one NCAA tourney win (against Creighton) that was 14 years ago.

On the plus side, when the worm does finally turn, it feels really good...

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 14, 2015 -> 03:19 PM)
Should be Howland or bust for DePaul. Not likely to be a lot of big time schools looking for a coach this offseason.

Howland is the target. Whether or not he wants the job? That's a different story.

Ty Corbin has been mentioned.

Mark Aguirre recently got his degree which means he now meets that requirement to coach at DePaul. With that said, he has basically zero coaching experience. Pass.

Bobby Hurley is another named being tossed around.

They need a big name, splash hire. I said that 5 years ago and we ended up with Purnell. It has been absolutely brutal to watch Blue Demon hoops over the last 10+ years. I check out by December most seasons.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 16, 2015 -> 03:37 PM)
No talk of Irvin or Robert Smith for DePaul? Irvin is a clown and probably would piss people off but bet he'd recruit well.

I personally can't stand Irvin, he's all that is wrong with AAU sports imo. But yea, he would probably be able to get some talent over to Depaul at least.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 16, 2015 -> 03:40 PM)
I personally can't stand Irvin, he's all that is wrong with AAU sports imo. But yea, he would probably be able to get some talent over to Depaul at least.

Agree 100%

Wouldn't be surprised to see him get a job as recruiter/asst soon.

Edited by Brian

Even with their new arena some day even that is now delayed, DePaul is so irrelevant. You take this job, you will be running away in a few years.

Unless they can get someone who could recruit the Public League better than anyone has in many years, who is going to want to play at DePaul?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2015 -> 05:13 PM)
Even with their new arena some day even that is now delayed, DePaul is so irrelevant. You take this job, you will be running away in a few years.

Unless they can get someone who could recruit the Public League better than anyone has in many years, who is going to want to play at DePaul?

It's been a couple decades since I paid any attention to DePaul. It seemed to me what looked like a positive, the move from on campus to the Rosemont Horizon, actually backfired and hurt the program. Plus the switch from Meyer the great to Meyer to lesser . . . Has there been any bright spots since then?

It also seems that trying to recruit kids to stay home just isn't a great strategy. Get kids from small towns that want to live in a big city. Get city kids from other cities and have them want to be in Chicago. But getting kids to stay home who have a chance to move away from their parents, just never seems to work well.

QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 16, 2015 -> 06:30 PM)
It's been a couple decades since I paid any attention to DePaul. It seemed to me what looked like a positive, the move from on campus to the Rosemont Horizon, actually backfired and hurt the program. Plus the switch from Meyer the great to Meyer to lesser . . . Has there been any bright spots since then?

It also seems that trying to recruit kids to stay home just isn't a great strategy. Get kids from small towns that want to live in a big city. Get city kids from other cities and have them want to be in Chicago. But getting kids to stay home who have a chance to move away from their parents, just never seems to work well.

Getting Aguirre was huge. They get to the Final Four, then get the WGN TV contract which had their games beamed all over the country back when you were lucky if your school had one nationally televised game. When that playing field was leveled, DePaul was in trouble. The thing is, the campus is probably way nicer than it has ever been. It's not a bad school, and if an athlete wants their degree, they will bend over backwards helping them get it. But all the losing and losing, they aren't even a thought in most players' minds. They had a few successful season under Leito but they haven't even made the NIT fo 8 years.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 09:21 AM)
Getting Aguirre was huge. They get to the Final Four, then get the WGN TV contract which had their games beamed all over the country back when you were lucky if your school had one nationally televised game. When that playing field was leveled, DePaul was in trouble. The thing is, the campus is probably way nicer than it has ever been. It's not a bad school, and if an athlete wants their degree, they will bend over backwards helping them get it. But all the losing and losing, they aren't even a thought in most players' minds. They had a few successful season under Leito but they haven't even made the NIT fo 8 years.

DePaul took advantage of the Public League's hostility to the Kruger hire back in the late 90s when they landed Quentin Richardson, Bobby Simmons, and Lance Williams. I think that group made an NCAA tournament appearance.

Seems like that was DePaul's last relevant team...

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 09:44 AM)
DePaul took advantage of the Public League's hostility to the Kruger hire back in the late 90s when they landed Quentin Richardson, Bobby Simmons, and Lance Williams. I think that group made an NCAA tournament appearance.

That was Pat Kennedy. I think he got in a little trouble. But that is what they have to do. Haugh had a good article today. They need to hire a young guy. Enough of these guys in their 50s. Of course once they get relevant, they probably will be looking for a new coach.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 09:44 AM)

Also had Steven Hunter and Paul McPherson, but even they only made that one tourney appearance and lost in the first round. I used to go to some of those games since I lived about 10-15 minutes away. Free pizza slice at Suparossa if they scored 80 points!

I'd love Howland, Bobby Hurley, or Bryce Drew. We'll see who's interested, though. I'd only want Aguirre as an assistant, and I guess Corbin deserves consideration based on his NBA coaching. It'd be nice to get a young, hungry guy instead of another terrible retread.

The real change that has been needed to be made has been letting ponsetto go and hiring a real AD. Not gonna happen, though.

I have this strange feeling that they'll actually hit on this coach this time. I mean, they have to after 2 straight atrocious hires, right?? Right?! :/

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 03:13 PM)
I'd love Howland, Bobby Hurley, or Bryce Drew. We'll see who's interested, though. I'd only want Aguirre as an assistant, and I guess Corbin deserves consideration based on his NBA coaching. It'd be nice to get a young, hungry guy instead of another terrible retread.

The real change that has been needed to be made has been letting ponsetto go and hiring a real AD. Not gonna happen, though.

I have this strange feeling that they'll actually hit on this coach this time. I mean, they have to after 2 straight atrocious hires, right?? Right?! :/

Howland really makes little sense. He will be 58 years old. They need a young guy with a ton of energy. Haugh had an article today. The guy I like is the guy who learned under Petino, presses the entire game, and lost a job last year because he didn't have a degree. Steve Masiello. I think he now has a degree. I think he is 37. Playing that style, young enough to relate to the HS guys, I think DePaul might have a chance. Hurley and Drew could be good as well. I know it's age discrimination, but I think DePaul has to think young.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2015 -> 03:20 PM)
Howland really makes little sense. He will be 58 years old. They need a young guy with a ton of energy. Haugh had an article today. The guy I like is the guy who learned under Petino, presses the entire game, and lost a job last year because he didn't have a degree. Steve Masiello. I think he now has a degree. I think he is 37. Playing that style, young enough to relate to the HS guys, I think DePaul might have a chance. Hurley and Drew could be good as well. I know it's age discrimination, but I think DePaul has to think young.

I'm fine with Masiello. It'll be interesting to see if Depaul will be given that "scandal." Some fans have said they wouldn't want him because of it.

1-5 for the "best" conference, aka Big 12..

like I said yesterday, good thing they let in 70% of the conference.

Where are you getting 1-5? Big 12 was 3-4. Not as impressive as, say, 6-0, but still better than 1-5.

Edited by HickoryHuskers