NCAA basketball 2014-15 thread

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 02:17 AM)
Ha, y'all can't wait to get rid of that guy. I can't blame you. It was a questionable hire to begin with, and he hasn't proven much.

They had no money to hire anyone with upside. It sucks being a college hoops fan of a school that cares mostly about football.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 09:33 PM)
Someday, you too will find your Fred Hoiberg.

Except Iowa State sucks at football and has a better history of basketball.

Either way, very happy to have Haith gone. Christmas came early. I thought we'd have to wait for him to inevitably fail to make the tournament next year before we would fire him. Now he's gone and we don't have to pay him. This is fantastic. Only can go up from here. The real shame is when Anderson left we had three players that would play in the NBA for the next coach to inherit. Haith left a relative wasteland for the next guy.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 04:51 AM)
Except Iowa State sucks at football and has a better history of basketball.

Either way, very happy to have Haith gone. Christmas came early. I thought we'd have to wait for him to inevitably fail to make the tournament next year before we would fire him. Now he's gone and we don't have to pay him. This is fantastic. Only can go up from here. The real shame is when Anderson left we had three players that would play in the NBA for the next coach to inherit. Haith left a relative wasteland for the next guy.

This year seems like there are much more coaches I'd be happy with than when HCMA left. But, again, as you alluded to, this is a tough situation to come into, but it's a place where you could build a program.

Do you folks think Kansas with Big Cliff is a lock to reach the Final Four? If Kansas adds Myles Turner is it preseason No. 1? Is Wisconsin a viable national title pick? Do you like North Carolina and all that young talent? Is Duke a lock with its fabulous recruiting class? Is Kentucky still the odds on favorite?

My guess is Wisconsin will finally win it all.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 20, 2014 -> 11:52 PM)
Do you folks think Kansas with Big Cliff is a lock to reach the Final Four? If Kansas adds Myles Turner is it preseason No. 1? Is Wisconsin a viable national title pick? Do you like North Carolina and all that young talent? Is Duke a lock with its fabulous recruiting class? Is Kentucky still the odds on favorite?

My guess is Wisconsin will finally win it all.

In case you haven't watched the NCAA Tournament before, there is no such thing as a lock for the Final Four in March, let alone 3 weeks after the previous tournament ended.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 11:43 AM)
Okafor is going to be absolutely dominate in college. He's so far ahead of most big men his age in terms of footwork and touch.

He reminds me of Al Jefferson. I don't know how college teams are going to guard him. Really impressed with Mudiay too, and there are a ton of other interesting freshmen. Then again, this last class wasn't quite as good as the hype, so who knows.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Okafor is going to be absolutely dominate in college. He's so far ahead of most big men his age in terms of footwork and touch.

He's got Sullinger type skills with more height and athleticism. I can't see how he doesn't dominate.

His basketball IQ and unselfishness will make others better as well.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 03:42 PM)
They will be very good again, but one and dones can be problematic as we have seen.

I've only seen a little of Tyrus Jones but I don't believe he's that good. Plays in Minnesota which as we know, isn't exactly a hot bed of HS hoops.

Was brutal vs Whitney Young until game was pretty much over.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 03:53 PM)
I've only seen a little of Tyrus Jones but I don't believe he's that good. Plays in Minnesota which as we know, isn't exactly a hot bed of HS hoops.

He's slight and mostly a distributor. A good defensive PG will shut him down. He's not my favorite either.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 03:53 PM)

Only two real senior studs this year, Jones and Reid Travis (Stanford). Fun fact: Travis played for De La Salle, a high school that is literally on an island in the middle of the Mississippi River. And yes, their name is the Islanders.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 12:04 PM)
Darius Paul arrested in Champaign. Apparently underage drinking and running from cops which eventually led to cops tackling him. Hey, someone in Champaign can tackle. Seems pretty minor. Maybe a suspension of a game or so vs. some really weak team.

Sounds like just a dumb college mistake. We've all been there. Has no history of bad behavior like this.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 02:12 PM)
Sounds like just a dumb college mistake. We've all been there. Has no history of bad behavior like this.

Yea from what I read/heard the cop basically admitted he wouldn't have been in trouble if he hadn't run. Stupid drunken choice, I've made worse while drunk but fortunately never got caught.

Hopefully nothing like this happens again though.

Stephen Bardo takes to Twitter today to say the cops overreacted to the Darius Paul situation (ignoring the resisting arrest part of the story) and that it only happened because Champaign is a racist town. Well done Bardo. Way to get a fan base to turn on you in a split second.