For out of towners, today's game is free on mlb.tv

Steve9347

Hey since we are on out of towners topic and I don't want to start another thread (no catch-all)...

Can anyone tell me where the White Sox stay when they're in Dallas? Also has anyone ever been to the Rangers park and can recommend a section, foods to try or anytyhing in particular about the park.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Apr 9, 2014 -> 11:01 AM)
Can anyone tell me where the White Sox stay when they're in Dallas? Also has anyone ever been to the Rangers park and can recommend a section, foods to try or anytyhing in particular about the park.

I've been to the Ballpark in Arlington - I recommend sitting in RF.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Apr 9, 2014 -> 11:01 AM)
Hey since we are on out of towners topic and I don't want to start another thread (no catch-all)...

I would recommend to NOT go in the dead of summer. They designed that Ballpark without air movement in mind, and blocked off the airflow through the OF by building the offices behind CF. It gets so hot in that park, and the air just does not move. It will be 95 degrees at 10pm and just stagnant.

As for seating, I enjoyed the area right over the scoreboard in LF. The RF upper deck is also pretty neat as a vintage overhanging UD like there used to be in Old Comiskey or Tiger Stadium. The site lines are all pretty nice there honestly.

There isn't a whole lot of stuff to do around the ballpark, so be prepared to drive if you want to grab a bite or drink.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 9, 2014 -> 10:54 AM)

mlb.tv is the biggest joke there is. I live more than 250 miles from the nearest mlb stadium yet I am considered in market, and therefore blacked out from, all White Sox, Cubs, Twins, Cardinals, Brewers and Royals games, that 20% of the league.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 9, 2014 -> 11:23 AM)
mlb.tv is the biggest joke there is. I live more than 250 miles from the nearest mlb stadium yet I am considered in market, and therefore blacked out from, all White Sox, Cubs, Twins, Cardinals, Brewers and Royals games, that 20% of the league.

you shouldn't have to but just use a proxy or hola and boom no more black outs. I cut the cable over a year ago because i found myself just watching netflix and the sox and i figured i would be better suited just using mlb.tv and a proxy instead of paying $150 a month for direct tv. The only thing i miss is MLB network.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 9, 2014 -> 11:23 AM)

I second this. I hate that it's the only way to watch games now that I'm not in Chicago. The product just sucks. Glitchy streams, no features, weird blackouts, etc.

The blackout rules have been in place for a long time, well before MLBEI and mlb.tv became popular.

They desperately need to be revised. There is no reason to have any location be in a blackout area for more than one AL team and one NL team.*

Iowa is blacked out for six teams. So is Las Vegas.

And, in case you aren't familiar with the blackout rules, every team has a home (blackout) territory. Within that territory, you can only watch the games on the local channel that provides the game (CSN, WGN, WCIU). Games are blacked out on MLBEI and mlb.tv. Outside of that territory, you can only watch the games on MLBEI or mlb.tv, and the games will be blacked out on the local channel if you happen to get it. WGN is a grandfathered exception. You can get WGN games no matter where you live.

One change that has helped a bit is that FOX no longer has an exclusive window every single Saturday. Some of the Saturdays are on their cable channel FS1 and they don't get exclusivity on those Saturdays.

*EDIT: I had forgotten that HOU and TEX are now both AL teams. I would have an exception to allow their territories to overlap within the state of Texas.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

The blackouts don't anger me nearly as much as the fact that archived games randomly restart mid stream, that they leave up the blank COMMERCIAL BREAK screen for some unknown reason even when watching archived streams, that the screen goes blank when you fast forward so that you have no idea where you are, that the slowest you can FF is in :59 increments, making it impossible to skip the blank, unsold commercial breaks, that there's no way to skip to specific innings, that the Apple TV stream shows the final scores of the archived games by default, etc.

Mlb.tv is a textbook example of how quality suffers without competition.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
The blackouts don't anger me nearly as much as the fact that archived games randomly restart mid stream, that they leave up the blank COMMERCIAL BREAK screen for some unknown reason even when watching archived streams, that the screen goes blank when you fast forward so that you have no idea where you are, that the slowest you can FF is in :59 increments, making it impossible to skip the blank, unsold commercial breaks, that there's no way to skip to specific innings, that the Apple TV stream shows the final scores of the archived games by default, etc.

Mlb.tv is a textbook example of how quality suffers without competition.

Xbox version takes care of several of these issues (inning indexing, skipping commercials easily, not starting in the middle, not showing scores). Or, at least it did last year. I haven't watched a game on it this year.

But yeah, the Apple TV version sucks. Was definitely an afterthought.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 08:09 AM)
The blackout rules have been in place for a long time, well before MLBEI and mlb.tv became popular.

They desperately need to be revised. There is no reason to have any location be in a blackout area for more than one AL team and one NL team.*

Iowa is blacked out for six teams. So is Las Vegas.

And, in case you aren't familiar with the blackout rules, every team has a home (blackout) territory. Within that territory, you can only watch the games on the local channel that provides the game (CSN, WGN, WCIU). Games are blacked out on MLBEI and mlb.tv. Outside of that territory, you can only watch the games on MLBEI or mlb.tv, and the games will be blacked out on the local channel if you happen to get it. WGN is a grandfathered exception. You can get WGN games no matter where you live.

One change that has helped a bit is that FOX no longer has an exclusive window every single Saturday. Some of the Saturdays are on their cable channel FS1 and they don't get exclusivity on those Saturdays.

*EDIT: I had forgotten that HOU and TEX are now both AL teams. I would have an exception to allow their territories to overlap within the state of Texas.

Both texas team have the entire state as territory.