The Natural

peppers312

The Indians' dominance over the White Sox finally came to an end Thursday night. And thanks to Cuban slugger Jose Abreu, the tide could be turning between these AL Central foes for a long time to come. Abreu went deep off Indians starter Danny Salazar in the second inning and again in the fifth off reliever Josh Outman. If you thought Abreu's multi-homer night was just a fluke, you're wrong...

http://msn.foxsports.com/ohio/story/photo-...baseball-041114

:blink: i'm sold.

The guy is a monster. He looks quite comfortable up there, even against pitchers he's never seen before.

I know there were concerns over his adapting to MLB pitching and the weather, but so far it looks like he's adapted very well.

Only 10 games in, but he's on pace to have an amazing year.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 08:34 AM)
Are they certain the foul ball wasn't damaged hitting a wall or something? The article is a little unclear.

And the article thinks he got multiple HR's in consecutive games, which didn't happen. So, I'm skeptical.

I'm expecting my greatest Sox entertainment to be watching him hit, and comparing his stats to M. Cabrera. If he can become the premier hitter in the A. L., that would make the season

worthwhile, even if this team doesn't make it to the post season. That prospect might have seemed preposterous before the season began, but he is proving to be the real deal.

Remember the scouts concerns about his bat speed? Now everyone is raving about his bat speed.

Anyone who can hit the way he did in Cuba, or at any professional level of baseball, for that matter, should be regarded as an extraordinary talent.

It could be a lot of fun.

Edited by Lillian

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

Actually not half bad Phil Rogers article on Abreu/new Sox offense, Garcia injury, etc.

Lots of quotes from Flowers on the difference that Steverson has made with him.

Flowers:

"For one, it starts with some new faces in here. Two, the energy level, the camaraderie, we started building that in Spring Training. I can tell you it's been a whole lot more fun. Our record's not where we want it to be at this point. But even the games we're losing, we're having fun, we're competing. We're having quality at-bats, putting 'em together."

During their freefall in 2013, the White Sox averaged an AL-low 3.7 runs per game with a .302 on-base percentage, also last in the league. The smart guys will tell you it's too early to draw any conclusions, but Ventura is justified in being very encouraged about his new lineup.

A 15-3 win in Colorado on Tuesday -- a game that featured two-homer games for Abreu and Garcia -- helped the White Sox be No. 1 in the AL at 6.0 runs per game through Wednesday, as well as third in the AL with a .347 on-base percentage.

No one's happier than first-year hitting coach Todd Steverson, although he wants you to know he's not satisfied.

"The approach, to this point, I've been pretty pleased," Steverson said. "I'm not a very complacent type person. There's always room for improvement."

No one is making a bigger difference for the White Sox than Abreu, whom Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said is "as advertised." He's a disciplined hitter with power to all fields and hit the ball so hard on Opening Day that Gardenhire intentionally walked him twice in the second game, once to get to Dunn, who had already hit a home run in the game.

Francona saw for himself as Abreu hit a 411-foot bomb to left-center off Salazar and a crushed liner over the left-field wall off reliever Josh Outman. He also scored Eaton from third base with a soft roller to second baseman Jason Kipnis, showing an ability to hit to the situation.

Ventura also loves what he's seeing from some of his veterans, especially Flowers and shortstop Alexei Ramirez (.421, two home runs, nine RBIs in 10 games). The latter had a solo homer and double off Salazar, while Flowers got a night off.

Flowers credits Steverson for helping him find a comfortable stance and a clear head.

"[He] has been great with me personally," the catcher said. "Did he come in and reinvent the wheel for me, or anybody for that matter? No. He just seems to take what you have, what you do naturally, promote that and maybe tweak a little something here, tweak little something there. It's all about you being comfortable. I think that's something I've kind of missed in the past."

Ventura had been platooning Alejandro De Aza and Dayan Viciedo in left field, with Garcia in right. The injury means that they'll both become everyday guys, with Jordan Danks promoted from Triple-A to become the fourth outfielder. It's a chance for him to prove himself, too.

Unlike in recent years, the White Sox look to have a supply of reinforcements in their farm system. But Hahn says they won't rush power-hitting third baseman Matt Davidson (acquired from Arizona for Addison Reed) or speedster Micah Johnson to the Major Leagues to compensate for the loss of Garcia or anyone else.

"One thing that's extremely important is not rushing anyone's development, not altering anyone's long-term viability, simply for a short-term, knee-jerk reaction of trying to fix something in Chicago," Hahn said. "What happens with Avi Garcia has nothing to do with what happens with Matt Davidson, Micah Johnson or anyone else. The guys who are going to be here will arrive here when they force the time frame, not the other way."

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 09:43 AM)
I'm expecting my greatest Sox entertainment to be watching him hit, and comparing his stats to M. Cabrera. If he can become the premier hitter in the A. L., that would make the season

worthwhile, even if this team doesn't make it to the post season. That prospect might have seemed preposterous before the season began, but he is proving to be the real deal.

Remember the scouts concerns about his bat speed? Now everyone is raving about his bat speed.

Anyone who can hit the way he did in Cuba, or at any professional level of baseball, for that matter, should be regarded as an extraordinary talent.

It could be a lot of fun.

Just to somewhat contradict what I wrote above, regarding dominance at any level: In almost any place but Cuba, a player as dominant as Abreu was, would have been promoted to a higher level.

However, since the players in the Cuban Leagues have nowhere that they can go, they stay at the same level beyond the point that they have demonstrated their ability. Nevertheless, as we all know, his numbers there were unreal.

Edited by Lillian

I can't read enough about this guy.... on Opening Day he made a great impression on me when he pulled his hands in and absolutely ripped a pitch a few inches inside to left field with amazing top spin on it. That was about the only at-bat I needed to see to know this guy is legit.

This is going to get interesting as teams become more fearful of him...like the taste we got from Minny when they walked him twice. If Abreu continues to perform, he's going to force the Sox to get him some protection in this line-up. If he's what we think he could be, the front office may feel it's in their interest to get another truly impact, expensive bat before the start of next season.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 03:54 PM)
They say he's good.

The tease before the break made it seem like it would be more.

Cliff Floyd says he's not getting recognition because "The White Sox aren't playing good ball."