Semien

brian310

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 08:24 AM)
Semien now hitting .206 with a .275 OBP and on pace to whiff 205 times.

If Beckham did this, posters would be calling for his release. Semien does it, he's a professional hitter with nothing to prove in the minor leagues.

LMAO

Really want him to go develop. I'm getting flashbacks of Gordon.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 01:01 PM)
He seems timid or hell bent on working the count. He has got a lot of hittable pitches that he just watches go by. He has to unload on them.

If he doesn't start making more contact, pitchers will be attacking him much more. That is what we saw with Dunn over his contract.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 04:31 PM)
Everybody take a deep breath and learn how to read a fangraphs page. Marcus Semien posted a 170 wRC+ in close to 500 Double A at bats last year. That means that there's some actual hope with this one.

Nobody cares about Gordon Beckham, not even his own parents.

And everybody knows it's all about your wRC+ in AA, not the actual results in major league games.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 02:24 PM)
Semien now hitting .206 with a .275 OBP and on pace to whiff 205 times.

If Beckham did this, posters would be calling for his release. Semien does it, he's a professional hitter with nothing to prove in the minor leagues.

LMAO

It looked like he was going to hit acceptably and make us clamor to get rid of Beckham once and for all, but you are right, at this rate he'll be sent down and nobody will care. He passes the eye test, but numbers don't lie. If he's hitting .200 and change none of us will care when he gets the demotion.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 06:43 AM)
A ball: 142

AA ball: 140

AAA: 210

Not as many at bats, but you know, still.

Gordo has 2500 plate appearances at the major league level that tell us he's of the 85 wRC+ caliber. He'd have to make a quantum leap to be an average hitter. That's the key concept here.

With Beckham now rehabbing in AA and Semien going cold, I'm all in favor of handing the job to Beckham one more time and sticking Semien in Charlotte.

I think Semien's process at the ML level has been really good, some time in AAA should boost his confidence and get him in a groove.

Beckham gets one more hail mary, but I think he ultimately gets waiver-traded or DFA'd/

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 12:33 PM)
With Beckham now rehabbing in AA and Semien going cold, I'm all in favor of handing the job to Beckham one more time and sticking Semien in Charlotte.

I think Semien's process at the ML level has been really good, some time in AAA should boost his confidence and get him in a groove.

Beckham gets one more hail mary, but I think he ultimately gets waiver-traded or DFA'd/

And all we ought to take from this is that the jump from AA to the big leagues is large and we should have people do that jump with caution. Circumstances may cause you to do so, but it's a move likely to be met with some struggles and some risk of legitimately screwing a guy up

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 12:29 PM)
And all we ought to take from this is that the jump from AA to the big leagues is large and we should have people do that jump with caution. Circumstances may cause you to do so, but it's a move likely to be met with some struggles and some risk of legitimately screwing a guy up

No. We probably shouldn't take anything from a player struggling for 2 weeks on any level.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 06:13 PM)
No. We probably shouldn't take anything from a player struggling for 2 weeks on any level.

At what point do we start taking something? I want it said here and now, so we'll be able to move forward one day.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 05:01 PM)
The general consensus has always been 1000 AB's unless a guy is clearly overwhelmed, which Semien isn't.

I would just roll with Semian everyday at this point and trade Gordon for a bag of balls. No team is going to look at Gordon Beckham's 2400+ PA in MLB with a OPS+ of 85 and think a month or two hot streak is who he really is. What, we're going to inflate his value from a C- prospect to a C+ one?

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 04:15 PM)
I would just roll with Semian everyday at this point and trade Gordon for a bag of balls. No team is going to look at Gordon Beckham's 2400+ PA in MLB with a OPS+ of 85 and think a month or two hot streak is who he really is. What, we're going to inflate his value from a C- prospect to a C+ one?

There are obviously some people that are too invested in Beckham to see this makes the most sense.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 01:05 PM)
Now that he's struggling the real worry ought to be that he'll lock himself into the same cycle of overcompensating and making bad adjustments we've seen several guys get into.

Minors for more seasoning, but he can hit for more power than L Garcia so kind of mixed feelings on him right noiw

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 04:15 PM)

This echoes my statement almost verbatim from earlier in the thread, and I approve.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 04:33 PM)

Stats don't lie. I would have cursed this post earlier but now it's accurate. It's Beckham time as soon as possible. Anytime a player dips under .200 there's a problem.