Odds on Paulino?

hi8is

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 20, 2014 -> 08:45 PM)
And look what has happened already in reality. Garcia out for the season, Jones out for an extended period dramatically weakening the bullpen, Lindstrom injured most of ST and poor out of the gates, Beckham hurt and hitting below .200 at AA in rehab stint, Semien seeming very much not ready, Eaton banged up, the one bullpen pitcher we did spend money on disappointing, Abreu needing coaching even about basic footwork at 1b.

A couple guys have achieved, Gillaspie and Flowers and Viciedo for example, but this team is a really weak team right now. They might not be by the end of the season as these guys grow up, but this is a basement team right now. A couple guys overachieving would almost always be balanced by a couple guys struggling, and now we've got one of our pieces that destroyed his shoulder on a dive to boot.

I am of the belief we could have an excellent pitching staff right now with the right bit of tinkering last offseason.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 20, 2014 -> 03:52 PM)
I am of the belief we could have an excellent pitching staff right now with the right bit of tinkering last offseason.

We have literally the 2nd worst pitching staff in baseball right now. A bit of tinkering would not have done it. We would have to fundamentally have changed what we were doing, and that includes not giving Johnson a shot to learn the big leagues (that he has earned), so adding 2 starters at least, as well as not relying on rookie relievers so basically 4 additional bullpen pitchers.

"A bit of tinkering" = replacing 1/2 or more of the pitching staff.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 20, 2014 -> 07:57 PM)
We have literally the 2nd worst pitching staff in baseball right now. A bit of tinkering would not have done it. We would have to fundamentally have changed what we were doing, and that includes not giving Johnson a shot to learn the big leagues (that he has earned), so adding 2 starters at least, as well as not relying on rookie relievers so basically 4 additional bullpen pitchers.

"A bit of tinkering" = replacing 1/2 or more of the pitching staff.

We already have Danks, Sale, Q for gosh sakes. Add one GOOD starter not named Paulino with the money bulging out of Jerry's pockets and a couple good relievers not named Downs and those other stiffs and what about my post isn't true?? There has to be some accountability. Four out of five starters in my scenario would be damn good starters. How many do you need??

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 20, 2014 -> 04:58 PM)
We already have Danks, Sale, Q for gosh sakes. Add one GOOD starter not named Paulino with the money bulging out of Jerry's pockets and a couple good relievers not named Downs and those other stiffs and what about my post isn't true?? There has to be some accountability. Four out of five starters in my scenario would be damn good starters. How many do you need??

Um...5?

Let's face facts...there are going to be some huge offensive explosions like we've already had twice this season that remind you of 1998-99-2000, and then we're going to have our struggles with inconsistent defense, pitching (starting and bullpen) and fundamentals, guys like Abreu and Semien, for example.

Obviously Santana was not going to sign a 2-3-4 year deal at the rates being offered...so he's taking the risk that he can have a dominant season for the Braves and end up with $75-105 million next offseason.

And I'm not sure that we can equate success in the NL (Garza, as well) to being able to do the same thing in the American League (see Jimenez in the AL East so far).

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 20, 2014 -> 01:15 PM)
Are you talking about World Series 2015 or World Series 2016-2018? Because that's probably what we're looking at here, optimistically.

Abreu= PK

Avi= Dye

Davidson= Crede (hopefully)

Alexei= Uribe

Eaton= Pods

Sale= Buehrle

Jones= Cotts

Pretty good foundation if you ask me...mix that with some FAs and Hawkins, maybe Thompson, Chris Beck, Micah Johnson, and guys like Zapata, high ranked international FAs (seems realistic with Paddy and going after Abreu and Tanaka) and our #3 draft pick and that may be a short lived dynasty or at the least very exciting SouthSide ball

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Apr 20, 2014 -> 09:32 PM)
Abreu= PK

Avi= Dye

Alexei= Uribe

Eaton= Pods

Sale= Buehrle

Jones= Cotts

Pretty good foundation if you ask me...mix that with some FAs and Hawkins, maybe Thompson, Chris Beck, Micah Johnson, and guys like Zapata, high ranked international FAs (seems realistic with Paddy and going after Abreu and Tanaka) and our #3 draft pick and that may be a short lived dynasty or at the least very exciting SouthSide ball

Micker Adolfo is what, 18 years old? If he's on the big league roster by 2019, that's fast moving for him.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Apr 20, 2014 -> 09:32 PM)
Abreu= PK

Avi= Dye

Alexei= Uribe

Eaton= Pods

Sale= Buehrle

Jones= Cotts

I am gonna go ahead and say maybe two thirds of these things actually pan out that way (or similarly). Then you have the rest of the roster to worry about. Basically, I will be shocked if they actually contend for the WS title next year. Not saying they won't be decent-to-good, but we're not even sure what we have in our 2014 youngsters, let alone projecting down the line.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 08:49 PM)
pretty sure he is, hopefully he doesn't bust out, have faith in him

The kid is 17. We have YEARS to just forget he is even in the system. To put it in perspective, he could debut in 2020, and he would still only be 23 years odl.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 08:21 AM)
The kid is 17. We have YEARS to just forget he is even in the system. To put it in perspective, he could debut in 2020, and he would still only be 23 years odl.

The Sox web site lists him as prospect #15 with an ETA of 2016.