AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!!!!!

Hawkfan

Everything pretty good, starting pitching ,hitting, bullpen, fielding. Got a ton of extra base hits. Abreu with 2 doubles ( in one inning) plus the HR. Tank had 3 hits ( double and a HR). Semien 4 hits and 4 RBI (bases loaded triple) battng leadoff. Flowers 3/4 with a walk. Jordan Danks with a 2 run HR.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 20, 2014 -> 05:48 PM)
Everything prtty good, starting pitching ,hitting, bullpen, fielding. Got a ton of extra base hits. Abreu with 2 doubles ( in one inning) plus the HR. Tank had 3 hits ( double and a HR). Semien 4 hits and 4 RBI (bases loaded triple) battng leadoff. Flowers 3/4 with a walk. Jordan Danks with a 2 run HR.

Starting pitching wasn't good, just lucky.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 20, 2014 -> 06:58 PM)
The end result was good so therefore it was good. Rather be lucky then good as the saying goes.

I'll take that from Johnson. Control is still a problem but at least he has confidence in his breaking stuff where he can challenge guys with it. He won't get this lucky everytime but at least give the team a chance to win. He batlled, which isn't going to turn him into a 3.00 FIP ace, but if he can battle everytime out he'll be a solid 4th starter and the Sox will take that.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 20, 2014 -> 06:02 PM)
I'll take that from Johnson. Control is still a problem but at least he has confidence in his breaking stuff where he can challenge guys with it. He won't get this lucky everytime but at least give the team a chance to win. He batlled, which isn't going to turn him into a 3.00 FIP ace, but if he can battle everytime out he'll be a solid 4th starter and the Sox will take that.

Ya the main thing is he's giving us at least a chance

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 20, 2014 -> 11:02 PM)

He wasn't all that good today and he admitted it. But, you take it from Johnson if we win and we did. Any time you win that's good. He is young and hopefully develops more command. Now if we lost that would be a different take on him

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 20, 2014 -> 08:01 PM)
One hit, two runs (one earned) AT Texas? Lucky or not, that's an awesome result in that ballpark. Way to go EJ, he's done well since his rocky start.

He walked 5, and only 1 run was earned because of his own wild pitch. The end result was good but he did not pitch well. Still, the rest of the season he's pitched better than his end results, so we'll take it. Hopefully he's scuffling a little bit because of his drop in velo and it comes back and he looks like 2013 MiLB Erik Johnson. I would say it's fairly encouraging he can put up a 3.49 FIP after losing 2-3 mph.

Not a super encouraging start by EJ, but he's young and this is often what you get with young pitchers.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Apr 20, 2014 -> 10:31 PM)
He walked 5, and only 1 run was earned because of his own wild pitch. The end result was good but he did not pitch well. Still, the rest of the season he's pitched better than his end results, so we'll take it. Hopefully he's scuffling a little bit because of his drop in velo and it comes back and he looks like 2013 MiLB Erik Johnson. I would say it's fairly encouraging he can put up a 3.49 FIP after losing 2-3 mph.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that run was unearned because of Flowers' throwing error, not Johnson's wild pitch. I'm pretty sure the run is still earned if someone scores on a wild pitch.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 20, 2014 -> 09:56 PM)
Not a super encouraging start by EJ, but he's young and this is often what you get with young pitchers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that run was unearned because of Flowers' throwing error, not Johnson's wild pitch. I'm pretty sure the run is still earned if someone scores on a wild pitch.

Yeah, that's right. Briefly flicked away and missed the throwing error. Still, the run scored due to the wild pitch, so not a blameless unearned run for Johnson.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Apr 20, 2014 -> 11:01 PM)
Yeah, that's right. Briefly flicked away and missed the throwing error. Still, the run scored due to the wild pitch, so not a blameless unearned run for Johnson.

Definitely. He should (and I think does) feel pretty lucky after today. I hope he doesn't take it too hard, but works with Coop a bunch on control and repeatability. Seems like his release point is all over the place, to my amateur eyes.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 20, 2014 -> 09:05 PM)
Definitely. He should (and I think does) feel pretty lucky after today. I hope he doesn't take it too hard, but works with Coop a bunch on control and repeatability. Seems like his release point is all over the place, to my amateur eyes.

I suspect (or maybe hope) it's a case of trusting his stuff a bit less with the velo drop. He had a couple of very wild pitches but apart from that most of his balls seemed to me to be a result of nibbling, fearing that hitting the zone with his reduced stuff would lead to a pounding. Hopefully he can tick back up again and put some more MPH difference between his fastball and his off-speed pitches and start trusting his stuff more again.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Apr 20, 2014 -> 10:16 PM)
Son, that was a serious White Sox winner.

Play of the game was when Gillaspie and Flowers collided on the pop-up, and Tyler wanted to kick Conor's ass. You could just sense the tension.

I hope he kicked his ass after the game.

I'd be wary of fighting Gillaspie, not that he'd fight back at the time, but you'd wake up one night and he'd just be sitting motionless on a chair next to your bed, stroking a knife

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Apr 20, 2014 -> 08:16 PM)
Son, that was a serious White Sox winner.

Play of the game was when Gillaspie and Flowers collided on the pop-up, and Tyler wanted to kick Conor's ass. You could just sense the tension.

I hope he kicked his ass after the game.

Hopefully he takes it out on Johnson who failed to call off Gillaspie. Pitcher's gotta take charge.

I think if you are a true Sox fan you should give a warm round of applause in recognition of Danks today. That home run he hit was a true bomb. It banged off the facade in the upper deck, kind of like a South Side Hit Man home run when the ball was juiced that one year. A rocket!!!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 12:02 AM)
I think if you are a true Sox fan you should give a warm round of applause in recognition of Danks today. That home run he hit was a true bomb. It banged off the facade in the upper deck, kind of like a South Side Hit Man home run when the ball was juiced that one year. A rocket!!!

Yeah that was a pretty monstrous shot. It'd be nice if some of his AAAA-seeming power could translate to the bigs.