Jose Abreu general discussion

Feeky Magee

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 03:16 PM)
Didn't feel the need to bump the other thread, but those projections for Pito of 26HR, 85 RBI look to be woefully low.

Preseason I would have been thrilled to see him hit 30HR this year. Now that would almost be a disappointment. Super impressed with everything he's shown so far.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 09:16 AM)
Didn't feel the need to bump the other thread, but those projections for Pito of 26HR, 85 RBI look to be woefully low.

He'll have his ups and downs. But the early season weather hasn't seemed to bother him, and that was one of the concerns going in. He's hitting bombs off pitchers he's never seen before. He's hitting the ball to all parts of the field. I assume that you'll see pitchers make adjustments as time goes on, and I think that'll lead to more walks. If Dunn continues to have a decent year, Abreu will have a better chance to see better pitches to hit.

All that being said (and assumed), 30+ HRs seems likely.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 03:34 PM)
He'll have his ups and downs. But the early season weather hasn't seemed to bother him, and that was one of the concerns going in. He's hitting bombs off pitchers he's never seen before. He's hitting the ball to all parts of the field. I assume that you'll see pitchers make adjustments as time goes on, and I think that'll lead to more walks. If Dunn continues to have a decent year, Abreu will have a better chance to see better pitches to hit.

All that being said (and assumed), 30+ HRs seems likely.

Exactly, we should be prepared for an extended slump this year. Mentally, I'm guessing this year will be exhausting from the change and waiting for his parents to arrive. Hopefully it will only get better for hi.m

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 12:17 PM)
Exactly, we should be prepared for an extended slump this year. Mentally, I'm guessing this year will be exhausting from the change and waiting for his parents to arrive. Hopefully it will only get better for hi.m

You're probably right...but I can convince myself the other way. How many Cubans get off to good starts like this in April in particularly cold winters? How many come out and hit like they basically have no holes that pitchers can exploit? He's going up against good pitching in what should be the worst conditions for him and demolishing guys. Not only that, he's not overly aggressive, he's making every single pitcher throw the ball over the plate in order to get him out.

Maybe that's just me being a fan, maybe he will tire out with the long season...but everything you'd hypothetically expect the guy to struggle with early...he's avoided.

ISO Standings as of 4/25

1. Jose Abreu .368

2. Albert Pujols .359

3. Troy Tulowitzki .338

4. Adrian Gonzalez .319

5. Michael Morse .314

2013 Final ISO Standings:

1. Chris Davis .348

2. Miguel Cabrera .288

3. Brandon Moss .267

4. Edwin Encarnacion .262

5. David Ortiz .255

Isolated Power (ISO) is a measure of a hitter’s raw power. Or, to look at it another way, it measures how good a player is at hitting for extra bases. The simplest way to calculate ISO is to subtract a player’s Batting Average from their Slugging Percentage, which leaves us with a measure of just a player’s extra bases per at bat.

If you prefer, you can also calculate ISO this way:

ISO = ((2B) + (2*3B) + (3*HR)) / AB

ISO = Extra Bases / At-Bats

It takes a long time for a player’s ISO to have predictive power going forward; a sample size of 550 plate appearances is recommended to draw any conclusions. In other words, if Albert Pujols has a .550 ISO two weeks into the season, it’s way too early to expect that to continue.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Apr 26, 2014 -> 10:12 AM)
ISO Standings as of 4/25

1. Jose Abreu .368

2. Albert Pujols .359

3. Troy Tulowitzki .338

4. Adrian Gonzalez .319

5. Michael Morse .314

2013 Final ISO Standings:

1. Chris Davis .348

2. Miguel Cabrera .288

3. Brandon Moss .267

4. Edwin Encarnacion .262

5. David Ortiz .255

His mammoth home runs to dead center are unreal, but I have a feeling there is going to be a few times this summer when he straight up pulls a fastball and will put it close to the concourse.

Has anyone noticed the crowd "Oh!" When he gets a hold of one? And not just in the Cell.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 26, 2014 -> 10:20 AM)
His mammoth home runs to dead center are unreal, but I have a feeling there is going to be a few times this summer when he straight up pulls a fastball and will put it close to the concourse.

Has anyone noticed the crowd "Oh!" When he gets a hold of one? And not just in the Cell.

It's funny - all those people saying that his have a different sound off the bat are right.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 26, 2014 -> 10:31 AM)
MLB Stat of the Day ‏@MLBStatoftheDay 40m

Jose Abreu’s three multi-homer games – through his first 24 contests – are the most for any player since 1914.

Babe Ruth was a rookie that year, but didn't hit any homers. I wonder who that was.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 26, 2014 -> 10:20 AM)

The best part is how effortless his swing is.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 05:38 AM)
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that most non-Hispanic hitting coaches still find a way to work with their Hispinic players. And a quick google search confirms that Steverson can converse in Spanish.

And again, my beef is with the idea that guys like Abreu & Konerko are working on the technical aspects of batting with other players. Is it possible? I guess so, but it seems incredibly unlikely IMO, and quite frankly that's the hitting coach's job. I'm not going to argue that Abreu may serve as a mentor to a guy like Viciedo, but that comes down more to preparation side of things. Viciedo becoming more patient is something Steverson has been pushing and credit should go to them not Abreu.

Did you hear Hawk talking about the mentoring going on with Abreu and Viciedo? It was either last night or Friday night.

We are probably both right. It appears that Steverson has really gotten through to Viciedo, and Abreu is not only reinforcing the concept

of exercising more plate discipline, but he is also providing additional mentoring. Whatever it is, it seems to be working, and is very encouraging.

Edited by Lillian

Rays forecast stardom for White Sox's Jose Abreu

Rookie draws raves from likes of Evan Longoria, David DeJesus and James Loney for patience, power and plate discipline

April 26, 2014|By Fred Mitchell, Chicago Tribune reporter

Jose Abreu has made highly favorable first impressions around the American League.

The rookie White Sox slugger has caught the attention of teammates, managers and opponents with his power, poise and patience at the plate.

The 27-year-old Cuban first baseman put on his most auspicious performance Friday night when he blasted a two-out walk-off grand slam to beat the Rays 9-6. It was his second homer of the night and broke the major league rookie record for home runs in April with nine.

"He's the best player in the world … ever … right now," Rays slugger Evan Longoria said with a wide grin before the Rays' 4-0 victory Saturday night at U.S. Cellular Field.

Longoria, who was the 2008 American League Rookie of the Year and is a three-time All-Star, knows what lofty expectations are ahead for Abreu.

"I don't know what it's like to be hitting like him, that's for sure," Longoria said. "But it's good to see him having success. Not against us, but … from a personal standpoint, what those (Cuban) players go through coming here and adjusting to playing not only baseball at the major league level, but just being normal Americans … and trying to fit in and blend in with society. It's tough. It's good to see him having some success."

Abreu also tied Albert Pujols' rookie record of 27 RBIs in April. Saturday he came back to earth with an 0-for-4 night.

"He has a great approach, man," Longoria said. "He showed, obviously, a tremendous amount of power (Friday) night. But discipline … he's a really selective hitter, and that's going to translate to a lot of success."

Count Rays manager Joe Maddon among the impressed.

"Really a big, strong fellow with a controlled attitude at the plate," Maddon said after Friday night's game. "He's not just a wild swinger. You have to make good pitches or he is going to hurt you."

Rays outfielder David DeJesus had only heard about Abreu's skills before the series opener.

"This is the first time ever seeing him live, and I am impressed with his power and how he uses the whole field," DeJesus said.

"He's an aggressive hitter too. You hope that he can get himself out. Or you want to catch him when he is slumping a little bit because you can see he has all of the tools."

The 12-year veteran thinks Abreu has the mental and physical makeup to be a longtime star in the big leagues.

"You have to be mentally prepared each day and understand you are going to have your ups and downs," DeJesus said. "You have to be a calm, level guy. That's how I got here, and I never had the talent he has."

From what veteran first baseman James Loney could observe from across the diamond, Abreu has what it takes to succeed.

"He just seems to have a kind of quiet confidence about himself," Loney said. "He seems like he fits right in over there.

"He is a mature player … a little older for his first year. … I don't think it is anything different for him as far as the bigger stadiums and more people. It's the same game to him."

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 31s

Abreu's 31 RBIs most in any month by a White Sox player since Frank Thomas had 31 in August 2003

JJ Stankevitz ‏@JJStankevitz 1m

You want more Abreu stats? OF COURSE YOU DO. No #WhiteSox player has more RBIs through 26 games than Abreu (31).