Chris Sale to start Thu May 22 vs Yankees

Feeky Magee

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 09:28 PM)
Aren't flexor muscle strains typically from overuse? My brain is telling me so but I'm not sure where I'm actually getting that information from.

The wrist flexor muscles sit on top of the UCL. You can strain them two different ways while pitching (insert wrist flexion while on the computer joke here). One is to over exert the wrist flexion or pronation or turning the hand palm down. This usually comes from fatigue. The other is when there is stress on the elbow in a valgus motion during the throwing motion. This is when the humerus leads the forearm too much and you can injure the UCL or strain the muscles which are trying to help the UCL hold the medial side of the elbow together. They hope that the muscle strain is not from the UCL loosening and the muscles need to do the work. Ideally it's an isolated strain and it's 2-3 week rehab.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 09:41 PM)
THey need to bring a long man up with him. He walks waaay too many guys.

I wouldn't be surprised if Leesman is sent down after the game is over. Bring up a fresh bullpen arm and hope that Hanson can go on the next go-around.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 09:36 PM)
The wrist flexor muscles sit on top of the UCL. You can strain them two different ways while pitching (insert wrist flexion while on the computer joke here). One is to over exert the wrist flexion or pronation or turning the hand palm down. This usually comes from fatigue. The other is when there is stress on the elbow in a valgus motion during the throwing motion. This is when the humerus leads the forearm too much and you can injure the UCL or strain the muscles which are trying to help the UCL hold the medial side of the elbow together. They hope that the muscle strain is not from the UCL loosening and the muscles need to do the work. Ideally it's an isolated strain and it's 2-3 week rehab.

Thanks. So theoretically it could well be down to throwing a lot of pitches?

QUOTE (Baron @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 09:44 PM)
Gone for the year? Talk about overreaction...

Want to put $20.00 on it Mr. Overreaction? Should be a slam dunk win according to you. Spin the wheel make the deal.

Edited by Soxfest