4/23 Games

Ozzie Ball

http://www.milb.com/scoreboard/index.jsp?s...mp;ymd=20140423

Heath going for Charlotte

Doyle going for Birmingham

Bucciferro going for Winston Salem

Danish going for Kanny

Charlotte already out to a 5-0 lead in the top of the 2nd.

Davidson out this game. Sanchez with a hit. Wilkins with a 3 run bomb. Liddi with a 2 run bomb.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 08:21 PM)
6 innings for Danish 1 run. 0 k's Kinda weird.

Hard to strike people out when hitters are hitting it into the ground. I doubt Danish had that many pitches considering he went 6 IP. A fine start.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 08:47 PM)
Seems like a Jon Garland start before he started getting some more K's in the 2nd half of his White Sox career.

I don't mean to pick on you, but I've seen Garland's name come up from a few posters in reference to pitchers that don't strike a lot of batters out (Beck discussion).

Garland trended just above 6 K/9 in his minor league career. He also posted a 2.26 ERA in 103.2 in AAA as a 20-year-old. I just want to point out that Garland will compare favorably with just about any of these pitchers we're worried about not striking out enough batters.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 07:21 PM)
6 innings for Danish 1 run. 0 k's Kinda weird.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 07:48 PM)
At least its good to see Danish can still be successful if he isn't striking people out

When is a zero strikeout game still awesome? When it's Tyler f***in' Danish. The guy is just plain different, and you have to look at the numbers more closely to fully appreciate.

In yesterday's 6 innings the four hits were all ground ball singles. 2 balls in total reached the outfield in the air, both flyouts. He allowed 1 line drive. All the rest were groundouts/popouts.

For the season's 20IP, he's allowed 14 singles, 3 2B, 1 3B and 0 HR - 23 total bases for a slugging % against of .284. He's an extreme groundballer, running at 69% currently, coupled with an insanely low 10% LD rate. Because of this, most of the hits he allows are, and will be, singles, and those fortunate souls will be moving station-to-station. No one has even attempted a SB against his quick delivery, and he puts himself in excellent defensive position on the mound. He has 1 WP and 0 HBP. HR's will be few - only 17% of his occasional fly balls allowed have been pulled.

Other metrics indicate has plenty of swing and miss in his repertoire when he needs it, but they have him on a low pitch count, so I believe he's emphasizing his GB tendencies to maximize the innings he can go.

Yes, the sample sizes are tiny at this juncture, but I won't be shocked by anything this kid does. Better IF defense behind him at the higher levels and in MLB should only help him as he advances. I vehemently disagree with some of the conservative estimates of his ceiling. This guy has few, if any, comps, and his ceiling will depend only on his health, imo.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 08:23 AM)
When is a zero strikeout game still awesome? When it's Tyler f***in' Danish. The guy is just plain different, and you have to look at the numbers more closely to fully appreciate.

In yesterday's 6 innings the four hits were all ground ball singles. 2 balls in total reached the outfield in the air, both flyouts. He allowed 1 line drive. All the rest were groundouts/popouts.

For the season's 20IP, he's allowed 14 singles, 3 2B, 1 3B and 0 HR - 23 total bases for a slugging % against of .284. He's an extreme groundballer, running at 69% currently, coupled with an insanely low 10% LD rate. Because of this, most of the hits he allows are, and will be, singles, and those fortunate souls will be moving station-to-station. No one has even attempted a SB against his quick delivery, and he puts himself in excellent defensive position on the mound. He has 1 WP and 0 HBP. HR's will be few - only 17% of his occasional fly balls allowed have been pulled.

Other metrics indicate has plenty of swing and miss in his repertoire when he needs it, but they have him on a low pitch count, so I believe he's emphasizing his GB tendencies to maximize the innings he can go.

Yes, the sample sizes are tiny at this juncture, but I won't be shocked by anything this kid does. Better IF defense behind him at the higher levels and in MLB should only help him as he advances. I vehemently disagree with some of the conservative estimates of his ceiling. This guy has few, if any, comps, and his ceiling will depend only on his health, imo.

Terrific analysis.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 08:13 PM)
Jordan Guerrero making season debut with Kannapolis, for fans of his.

IP, BB, SO

Kid is no doubt very raw (and skinny as hell), but his upside is noticeable. I know Jon and myself like him alot. (although me personally I think he'll be on our top prospects list by next year) He'll have his down games, but I think he will get more noticed later down the line.

Edited by SoxAce