Season 6 of the Gordon Beckham Era

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 11:51 AM)
Without getting into the Semien discussion, I'm genuinely surprised to see Beckham coming up since AFAIK he hadn't done jack squat with the bat at Birmingham. Has that changed the last couple days?

He hasn't done jack squat with the bat in 4 years, on any level. Nobody can even come with an argument for why he should be playing.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 12:55 PM)
He hasn't done jack squat with the bat in 4 years, on any level. Nobody can even come with an argument for why he should be playing.

GMAB. If you're going to reply end the rant and answer the question.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 11:52 AM)
Mike Trout was 19 years old. He also was a top 3 prospect in baseball. Has Semien even cracked a top 100?

Who cares? The point is people are using his small amount of at bats to declare that he is terrible and should be sent down. He is going through a normal adjustment period for players jumping to the majors, that even Mike Trout went through. He is going to go through this now or later. Now is the perfect time. And even with this adjustment he is already as good as Beckham's career.

QUOTE (shakes @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 11:56 AM)
Who cares? The point is people are using his small amount of at bats to declare that he is terrible and should be sent down. He is going through a normal adjustment period for players jumping to the majors, that even Mike Trout went through. He is going to go through this now or later. Now is the perfect time. And even with this adjustment he is already as good as Beckham's career.

Mike Trout went down after that start. He started the next season in the minors. So what is the argument again?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 11:58 AM)
Mike Trout went down after that start. He started the next season in the minors. So what is the argument again?

That he, like everyone else needs time to adjust. Simple.

And that this is the perfect season to give him time to make these adjustments.

The lack of patience for young players around here is astounding. Especially, when the patience is there for a player who has already proven that he is not a good player.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 11:54 AM)
Let's cherry pick

In his last 90 plate appearances, he's put up .262/.311/.440/.752. He's on a 4 game hitting streak. He's also a rookie and he's doing fairly well for a rookie.

---

You do know that you can just say "I don't like Marcus Semien" and be done with it, right? I really happen to like him and wish he would remain starting because I think he can be a great player for the Sox, but I'm not going to be heartbroken if the Sox feel it's in the team's best interests to send him to AAA.

Again, I never said I don't like Marcus Semien. I just find it hysterical he performs worse than other players who get maligned, and gets praised for it, just because of Gordon Beckham venom. If Gordon Beckham had exactly the same season as Semien, people would be calling for his release. Don't think there aren't Sox "fans" on here that are hoping beyond hope Beckham is 0-4 today with 4 strikeouts so they can tell you how bad he is. They wouldn't be saying, yeah he's on pace to strikeout over 200 times and doesn't get on base much, but those strikeouts are helping the offense. Or they wouldn't be making excuses that he strikes out because he works counts. He's walked 6 times, the same amount as Dayan Viciedo with about 50% more plate appearances. The guy could use some time in AAA, if it comes to that. Personally, I say get him some OF experience. He does have a knack to get the big hit. You could move him around. Playing LF wouldn't be hard on him.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (shakes @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 01:05 PM)
That he, like everyone else needs time to adjust. Simple.

And that this is the perfect season to give him time to make these adjustments.

The lack of patience for young players around here is astounding. Especially, when the patience is there for a player who has already proven that he is not a good player.

stop man you're making too much sense!

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 12:06 PM)
Again, I never said I don't like Marcus Semien. I just find it hysterical he performs worse than other players who get maligned, and gets praised for it, just because of Gordon Beckham venom. If Gordon Beckham had exactly the same season as Semien, people would be calling for his release. They wouldn't be saying, yeah he's on pace to strikeout over 200 times and doesn't get on base much, but those strikeouts are helping the offense. Or they wouldn't be making excuses that he strikes out because he works counts. He's walked 6 times, the same amount as Dayan Viciedo with about 50% more plate appearances. The guy could use some time in AAA.

I think people are excited for Semien like they were excited for Beckham in 2009. If Beckham were doing what Semien is doing, you're damn right people would be upset because there's 2500 plate appearances worth of sample to see that he would be repeating himself again. With Semien, people see talent and it's a change, and the grass is greener sometimes.

Like I said, if the team feels it's best that Semien get sent down, that's fine by me, but I'd personally like to see him up for the remainder of the season. It's similar to the Santana/Jimenez discussion this offseason where one of those players may be superior at this point, but I'd like to see if the one on the team can be a long-term answer or if the Sox need to do something. Obviously, I'm not in control of that, but if Semien ends the year with a .725-.750 OPS, then I think it's safe to say we are looking fairly good at 2B. We have a large sample size from Beckham and the outcome is predictable.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 12:12 PM)
I think people are excited for Semien like they were excited for Beckham in 2009. If Beckham were doing what Semien is doing, you're damn right people would be upset because there's 2500 plate appearances worth of sample to see that he would be repeating himself again. With Semien, people see talent and it's a change, and the grass is greener sometimes.

Like I said, if the team feels it's best that Semien get sent down, that's fine by me, but I'd personally like to see him up for the remainder of the season. It's similar to the Santana/Jimenez discussion this offseason where one of those players may be superior at this point, but I'd like to see if the one on the team can be a long-term answer or if the Sox need to do something. Obviously, I'm not in control of that, but if Semien ends the year with a .725-.750 OPS, then I think it's safe to say we are looking fairly good at 2B. We have a large sample size from Beckham and the outcome is predictable.

Well said.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 01:12 PM)

I know this is not an objectively validated opinion, but don't you think we could have learned from Beckham's experience that it's worth spending some time in AAA? Literally nobody in this thread is saying they don't like Semien. It's just that he's not performing well enough to think he's playing at the appropriate level for his development.

Yaaaaa, everybody is cherry picking!! It's fun right??

Over the last 14 days(That's 12 games) he's hitting .226 with K/BB ratio of 17/2. That .226 number includes a day where he went 4-6.

I see no harm in sending him down to work on some things. Give Beckham a month, if he's cold, buzz killer Beckham than you brink Marcus back up. If he's the pre all star Beckham you play him with hopes of trading at the deadline. It's really that simple for me.

I know they're what, 11-11? But are we already giving up on the rebuild?? This is a mere rebuilding move, nothing more.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 12:30 PM)
I know this is not an objectively validated opinion, but don't you think we could have learned from Beckham's experience that it's worth spending some time in AAA? Literally nobody in this thread is saying they don't like Semien. It's just that he's not performing well enough to think he's playing at the appropriate level for his development.

Except that Beckham came up and has been bad since that point. I think Beckham has always been destined to do what he's done and I don't think any time in AAA would have fixed that.

With the way some of these guys have been re-vitalized, it might not be a bad thing to see what Beckham can do, but like I said, I'm not incredibly optimistic (if you could not tell that already).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 12:34 PM)
This reminds me of the venom when Ozzie made Crede the 3rd baseman in 2008. People couldn't live without Josh Fields. I wouldn't be surprised to see Semien stay and play 2B, 3B and maybe some OF. A Tony Phillips-like guy. Hawk did mention Tony Phillips during the game yesterday.

But as was posted above, besides his clutch homers (I thought there was no such thing as clutch) Semien has shown he probably could use some time in the minors.

I think this was the role originally envisioned for Semien. After 22 games the uninformed masses have spoken though

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 12:06 PM)
Again, I never said I don't like Marcus Semien. I just find it hysterical he performs worse than other players who get maligned, and gets praised for it, just because of Gordon Beckham venom. If Gordon Beckham had exactly the same season as Semien, people would be calling for his release. Don't think there aren't Sox "fans" on here that are hoping beyond hope Beckham is 0-4 today with 4 strikeouts so they can tell you how bad he is. They wouldn't be saying, yeah he's on pace to strikeout over 200 times and doesn't get on base much, but those strikeouts are helping the offense. Or they wouldn't be making excuses that he strikes out because he works counts. He's walked 6 times, the same amount as Dayan Viciedo with about 50% more plate appearances. The guy could use some time in AAA, if it comes to that. Personally, I say get him some OF experience. He does have a knack to get the big hit. You could move him around. Playing LF wouldn't be hard on him.

I'm not sure what you don't get here. Semien is a f***ing rookie and it's still April last I checked. You are jumping to so many conclusions about him as a player it's crazy. Yes, his K rate is too high and his BB rate is too low. That's going to happen to most young players who are trying to be selective against major league pitching for the first time. Let's give him more than a month before we rip into his performance. All prospects go through growing pains, which is what we're seeing right now.

Also, you mention that we'd all be screaming for Beckham's release if he had a season like Semien's, which is hilarious because his career has basically been Semien's current season. The difference is Gordon has had 2,500 plate appearances and Semien is still in his first month. I wonder which player is more likely to improve upon their career numbers?

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 12:30 PM)

No. Marcus Semien is not Gordon Beckham, they should have absolutely nothing to do with each other when talking about Marcus' timeline and development.

Marcus has already shown that he's just not going to crawl into a hole and die if he's scuffling, he can work through any problems he might have up here. I actually think it's much better for him to be up here facing the best competition rather than guys he's more advanced than in aaa.

To me, it's better for Marcus and for the team if he's our starting 2b and I don't want him getting sent down because we're stuck with Gordon Beckham.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 06:06 PM)

One difference about the excitement. We're excited about a guy in his first real season with the big league club. You are right. If he was hitting .220 and been in the league a full year or so, we'd probably be hating on him as well. He just seems like a breath of fresh air compared to Beckham. I just sense with Gordo we're going to hit one of those 1-10 road stretches and most of the board will be clamoring for losses so we get the No. 1 pick again.

Semien isn't tearing the league on fire, but his clutch homers have been enticing compared to thoughts of Beckham past.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 06:06 PM)

Your exactly right. Sad the way we have such disrespect for Sox players

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 06:07 PM)
Your exactly right. Sad the way we have such disrespect for Sox players

This is a business. The White Sox are going to want something in return for Beckham so unless Semien plays 3rd or SS he goes back to AAA and plays 2nd. Since this is a rebuilding year, playing Beckham to hopefully get something in July should be the goal. In July, you trade him or dump him. After the trading deadline, you bring up Semien and let him play out the year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 07:34 AM)
This reminds me of the venom when Ozzie made Crede the 3rd baseman in 2008. People couldn't live without Josh Fields. I wouldn't be surprised to see Semien stay and play 2B, 3B and maybe some OF. A Tony Phillips-like guy. Hawk did mention Tony Phillips during the game yesterday.

But as was posted above, besides his clutch homers (I thought there was no such thing as clutch) Semien has shown he probably could use some time in the minors.

I somewhat agree with you but if both are going to be on the major league roster I would rather see Beckham be the one that is moved around. Platoon him at 3B with Gillaspie, and let him play a little outfield as well as backup the other IF positions. Since it's more likely Semien will be the Sox 2B of the future, let him stay there and continue to develop.

Also, it may improve Beckham's trade value if he shows he can play some OF as well as three IF positions.

Gillaspie should go to the DL, Semien starts ED at 3B.

In the future, he's going to be either 2B or SS. He may very well field well enough to be a SS. Micah Johnson is far from a sure thing and his ability to be an infielder is completely up in the air.