Rosenthal speculates on deadline deal candidates

southsider2k5

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/04/rose...medium=facebook

The White Sox might prefer not to trade John Danks, who they have signed to a reasonable contract through 2016. But Adam Dunn is set to become a free agent, and the team has plenty of potential replacements for Alexei Ramirez and Gordon Beckham, so Chicago could deal any of those players at the deadline.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DeAza can probably be dealt too...unless he and Gordon keep on stinking it up.

The problem is that there's still not anyone ready behind him...unless they really push up Thompson or stick Micah Johnson in LF mid-season to get him some ML at-bats in the 2nd half of the season.

And both of those would be really aggressive promotions.

At one point, it seemed they could hold onto ADA and just rotate DH next year amongst all the position players, but we probably need to move on and start fresh and realize Alejandro peaked 2-3 years ago.

I like the idea of getting rid of Beckham/DeAza and freeing up Danks salary for young prospects...

But, trading Alexei and Dunn seems counter productive. The Sox are trying to move upward with a quickness, not throw in the towel on the next half decade like the north siders... Both Alexei and Dunn are worth more to the Sox right now than they are to any other team in MLB.

Edited by Whitey

Dunn and Alexei should net us something decent but there are serious drawbacks to dealing both. With Dunn, you now have no one to protect Abreu in the order unless Dayan keeps hitting. If teams see Abreu as the only threat in the order, they won't pitch to him....while his obp will increase, I just worry that this could stunt his development. With Alexei, I really sense that the whole Cuban pride deal is pretty strong on this squad and don't think it's any coincidence that 3 of the 4 Cubans are playing head and shoulders above expectations. Do we want to mess with that chemistry this soon? If this is the new Alexei, do we really have anyone that can step in and provide what he does? Semien can't.

QUOTE (Whitey @ Apr 26, 2014 -> 06:47 PM)
I like the idea of getting rid of Beckham/DeAza and freeing up Danks salary for young prospects...

But, trading Alexei and Dunn seems counter productive. The Sox are trying to move upward with a quickness, not throw in the towel on the next half decade like the north siders... Both Alexei and Dunn are worth more to the Sox right now than they are to any other team in MLB.

How does Dunn fit into that sentence? Dunn is a free agent at the end of this year as well and thus the next "half decade" wouldn't be impacted at all even if he was just released.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 26, 2014 -> 06:00 PM)
How does Dunn fit into that sentence? Dunn is a free agent at the end of this year as well and thus the next "half decade" wouldn't be impacted at all even if he was just released.

Come on man... I'm not saying I want Dunn here for the next 5 years. I would like for him to be gone after this year just as much as the next guy.

But how does taking the one left handed power bat we have out of the lineup (in exchange for a Leury Garcia level prospect, which is all we would get) help Abreu and Viceido's development?

Edited by Whitey

QUOTE (Whitey @ Apr 26, 2014 -> 06:26 PM)
Come on man... I'm not saying I want Dunn here for the next 5 years. I would like for him to be gone after this year just as much as the next guy.

But how does taking the one left handed power bat we have out of the lineup (in exchange for a Leury Garcia level prospect, which is all we would get) help Abreu and Viceido's development?

There will be 25 games or so left at the deadline. I'd rather get something than nothing for Dunn. So 137 games or so with Dunn around (not certain how many he will play) then 25 without him. I'm comfortable with that.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 26, 2014 -> 06:17 PM)
There will be 25 games or so left at the deadline. I'd rather get something than nothing for Dunn. So 137 games or so with Dunn around (not certain how many he will play) then 25 without him. I'm comfortable with that.

I think you mean 60 (July 31st), unless you're talking about the August 31st deadline for adding for going through waivers and being added to another team's playoff roster.

If they really wanted to trade him and there's legitimate interest in June/July, they don't have to wait.

But, as mentioned, the idea of protection/balance for Abreu. That said, there's certainly no guarantee he will have it next year...or that having him forced to become even more selective without a big LH bat behind him wouldn't actually help his development more than being pitched around or super selectively by contending playoff teams wary of his one big at-bat beating them.

I got a feeling all three of the Rosenthal guys will be dealt. You got to wonder what you can get for Beckham, though. I mean two average prospects max? No offense to Gordo, but this is a minor transaction about now considering his career stats. The old saying: Second basemen are a dime a dozen. It could be a yawner of a trade.

Lexi might bring something decent if he keeps hitting well. Maybe even if he drops off. He'd help a contender.

Dunn? Heaven help the GM that acquires him if Dunn goes into a Dunn-like 1-for-20 with 14 strikeouts right after the team acquires him. I guess somebody could pick him up, but I don't see why a contender would want him. Should be very interesting to see what we get for these guys.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 26, 2014 -> 09:16 PM)
I got a feeling all three of the Rosenthal guys will be dealt. You got to wonder what you can get for Beckham, though. I mean two average prospects max? No offense to Gordo, but this is a minor transaction about now considering his career stats. The old saying: Second basemen are a dime a dozen. It could be a yawner of a trade.

Lexi might bring something decent if he keeps hitting well. Maybe even if he drops off. He'd help a contender.

Dunn? Heaven help the GM that acquires him if Dunn goes into a Dunn-like 1-for-20 with 14 strikeouts right after the team acquires him. I guess somebody could pick him up, but I don't see why a contender would want him. Should be very interesting to see what we get for these guys.

Did anyone get on KW when Youkilis was terrible for the remainder of the season after his original hot streak of 2-3 weeks?

Or when Myers wasn't an effective reliever? Or Liriano was booted out of the rotation?

EVERYONE in baseball knows what they are getting out of Dunn...so that kind of cold streak comes with the territory, especially if he changes leagues and has to relearn some of the pitchers. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Dunn put up MVP numbers in the NL for two months either (of course, odds of him going to the NL without the DH where he'd have to play 1st or LF, not super high). Depends on injuries and non-performance of 1B/DH/LFers across the majors in June/July/August.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Apr 26, 2014 -> 05:00 PM)
Dunn and Alexei should net us something decent but there are serious drawbacks to dealing both. With Dunn, you now have no one to protect Abreu in the order unless Dayan keeps hitting. If teams see Abreu as the only threat in the order, they won't pitch to him....while his obp will increase, I just worry that this could stunt his development. With Alexei, I really sense that the whole Cuban pride deal is pretty strong on this squad and don't think it's any coincidence that 3 of the 4 Cubans are playing head and shoulders above expectations. Do we want to mess with that chemistry this soon? If this is the new Alexei, do we really have anyone that can step in and provide what he does? Semien can't.

Of course, I agree with you. As you may know, I take a lot of heat around here, for being so concerned about the "handedness" balance of the roster.

However there may be another option. Why not move Dunn, and then sign Kendrys Morales, after the June Draft, when he wouldn't cost

a draft pick?

Given the need for a LH middle of the order hitter, and the complete absence of anyone in the organization who could be expected to fill that role, it makes sense.

If the Sox keep Viciedo in the outfield next year, they could field Viciedo in Left, Eaton in Center and Garcia in Right.

Abreu and Morales could alternate between First and DH.

Wouldn't you think that Morales would be thrilled to join his fellow Cubans, on a 3 to 5 year deal, even if Scott Boras tried to talk him out of it?

That could be fun to watch; the "Chicago/Cuban Connection". I like it.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 26, 2014 -> 09:34 PM)
I think you mean 60 (July 31st), unless you're talking about the August 31st deadline for adding for going through waivers and being added to another team's playoff roster.

If they really wanted to trade him and there's legitimate interest in June/July, they don't have to wait.

But, as mentioned, the idea of protection/balance for Abreu. That said, there's certainly no guarantee he will have it next year...or that having him forced to become even more selective without a big LH bat behind him wouldn't actually help his development more than being pitched around or super selectively by contending playoff teams wary of his one big at-bat beating them.

I jumped to an assumption that they were talking about a waiver deal. Figuring Dunn and Danks would probably clear waivers. But I agree with you, even a deal in June or July would be fine.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 11:55 AM)
I wouldn't trade Alexei, but if they do, they better get a hell of a lot more than they got back for Peavey and Rios combined. A hell of a lot more.

They had better be looking for a Texeiria type return.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 12:11 PM)
The problem is scarcity. How many other SS's are out there on the market? I know dumping Cubans for nothing is in your gene's but it doesn't make sense.

there's a big difference between "nothing" and Texeria-type package.

Rosenthal speculates that the White Sox would prefer to trade an aging slugger with an expiring contract (making $15M) over their everyday SS (making $9.5M) having a nice year and still under contract through 2016 (if option picked up). Wow, he really stepped out on a limb there with that insightful baseball wisdom.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 12:16 PM)
there's a big difference between "nothing" and Texeria-type package.

Outside of the true core guys, Alexei has more trade value than anyone else on this team. In a rebuilding situation, you have to maximize that, if you are going to trade him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 12:24 PM)
Outside of the true core guys, Alexei has more trade value than anyone else on this team. In a rebuilding situation, you have to maximize that, if you are going to trade him.

That's because he is playing very well. If the Ramirez of last year comes back his trade value slides.