**4/30 thread: Sox vs Tigers, 1:10pm**

Brian

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 09:15 PM)
So who's starting next Tuesday at Wrigley? Hanson is supposed to start Friday, so probably not him.

Better not be Noesi! If so, the Sox management made some bad calculations in scheduling the starters the last two weeks.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 04:17 PM)
Better not be Noesi! If so, the Sox management made some bad calculations in scheduling the starters the last two weeks.

I don't think many calculations can over come an injury to your #1 and #2 starters, and extreme suckage another.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 09:22 PM)
I don't think many calculations can over come an injury to your #1 and #2 starters, and extreme suckage another.

You simply can't afford to keep doing "bullpen games", as you're going to destroy your bullpen doing that. I absolutely don't believe Noesi was acquired with the thought of being a starter. Just seems to be inexcusable to not have something in mind for next week, as it's bad enough they got stuck with a game against the Tigers with one of the worst pitchers in baseball starting.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 04:27 PM)
You simply can't afford to keep doing "bullpen games", as you're going to destroy your bullpen doing that. I absolutely don't believe Noesi was acquired with the thought of being a starter. Just seems to be inexcusable to not have something in mind for next week, as it's bad enough they got stuck with a game against the Tigers with one of the worst pitchers in baseball starting.

The 40 man roster is full, and you are down three starters already. It isn't as easy as typing into your computer "you simply can't.", when the Sox don't really have a choice. Until they get Sale back and/or Paulino proves he can pitch, you are pretty screwed in the rotation. I'd be curious how many teams out there could start 10 starters in a month, and not run into a roster crunch.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 08:57 PM)
That .170 is better than whatever Gordon's hitting.

It doesn't have to be Semien vs. Gordon for the 2 spot. You can easily just put Alexei there, ya know, since he's probably the team's second best hitter right now.

What's your comparison line? Semien has a future but he isn't the answer right now

I am waiting for more players to be blamed for ths loss and of course Gordon is being dumped on as usual. But, I agree you can't throw a half dozen relief pitchers out there every 4th or 5th game to take the place of starting pitchers. Regardless of injuries something else needs to be done rather than do this again. He looked ok for three innings, which is long relief stuff

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 04:35 PM)
I don't think the Sox are dumb enough to have another bullpen day.

If something comes up, what choice to they have? It isn't about being dumb, it is about reality. Look here is what they were looking at for today.

Quintana -pitched yesterday- out

Rienzo- pitched two days ago- out

Carroll - pitched three days ago - out

Danks - pitched four days ago, could he have gone on short rest? probably not after throwing 123 pitches in last outing- out

Sale- DL, not eligible - out

Paulino- DL, no eligible - out

Johnson- sent down Saturday, can't come up for 10 days after send down without a DL spot being used - out

Leesman- sent down April 23, means he can't pitch in majors again until something like May 2 or 3 unless a DL spot is being used - out

Axelrod- Not on 40 man roster, needs someone to be waived to activate. Also started April 28 - out

Surkamp- started four days ago, could have been called up to start on short rest, but is sporting the nifty .404 BAA and 6.00 ERA in Charlotte, plus a sexy WHIP of over 2.00- Um, pass.

Duente Heath- Not on 40 man roster, has made one start this whole year, going 5 IP.

Tommy Hanson- Slot did fall in line with opening, but has only made two starts this year, going a total of 9 IP in those two starts. Also not on 40 man roster, meaning someone else needed to be moved to get him to Chicago.

So now I ask, what is the not dumb move there?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 04:53 PM)
If something comes up, what choice to they have? It isn't about being dumb, it is about reality. Look here is what they were looking at for today.

Quintana -pitched yesterday- out

Rienzo- pitched two days ago- out

Carroll - pitched three days ago - out

Danks - pitched four days ago, could he have gone on short rest? probably not after throwing 123 pitches in last outing- out

Sale- DL, not eligible - out

Paulino- DL, no eligible - out

Johnson- sent down Saturday, can't come up for 10 days after send down without a DL spot being used - out

Leesman- sent down April 23, means he can't pitch in majors again until something like May 2 or 3 unless a DL spot is being used - out

Axelrod- Not on 40 man roster, needs someone to be waived to activate. Also started April 28 - out

Surkamp- started four days ago, could have been called up to start on short rest, but is sporting the nifty .404 BAA and 6.00 ERA in Charlotte, plus a sexy WHIP of over 2.00- Um, pass.

Duente Heath- Not on 40 man roster, has made one start this whole year, going 5 IP.

Tommy Hanson- Slot did fall in line with opening, but has only made two starts this year, going a total of 9 IP in those two starts. Also not on 40 man roster, meaning someone else needed to be moved to get him to Chicago.

So now I ask, what is the not dumb move there?

DL'ing Paulino.

Clearing crap off your 40 man is a lot smarter than doing a bullpen day again, especially since there's no off day that follows. Even if that starter is as awful as Dylan Axelrod.

edit: I see you're talking about today. I mean for next week. Today I don't mind it as much since there is an off day. I do hope no injuries result from it.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 04:55 PM)
Clearing crap off your 40 man is a lot smarter than doing a bullpen day again, especially since there's no off day that follows. Even if that starter is as awful as Dylan Axelrod.

The max IP Axe has in any game this year is 6 IP, and he is averaging just over 5 IP. Putting him on a major league roster means there is a pretty good chance he makes it about the same 3.2 IP that Noesi made it. The guy isn't exactly tearing up Charlotte right now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 10:57 PM)
The max IP Axe has in any game this year is 6 IP, and he is averaging just over 5 IP. Putting him on a major league roster means there is a pretty good chance he makes it about the same 3.2 IP that Noesi made it. The guy isn't exactly tearing up Charlotte right now.

That'sfine but Iif we're nearly throwing the game anyway we can pitch Dylan until his arm falls off because who cares about him.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 04:59 PM)
That'sfine but Iif we're nearly throwing the game anyway we can pitch Dylan until his arm falls off because who cares about him.

My feeling is that the Sox feel they fixed something in Noesi. Tipping pitches, adjustment in arm angle, standing taller, who knows what, but it seems they were anxious to get ahold of the guy. I also get the feeling they think he can be a starter, which is why they put him there today. I believe they will stretch him out, and he will start in this slot again.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 04:59 PM)

The other problem is who do you remove from the 25 man roster? Again remember, if you remove a pitcher with options, he has to be in the minors for at least 10 days before he can be recalled again, meaning you either have to call up yet another minor leaguer to be in the pen, or you lose a member of the bullpen for the 5 days until the starter you called up can pitch again. If they don't have options, then you are sending them through the waiver process, and might lose them.

Which pitcher were you ready to send out?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 1, 2014 -> 12:14 AM)
My feeling is that the Sox feel they fixed something in Noesi. Tipping pitches, adjustment in arm angle, standing taller, who knows what, but it seems they were anxious to get ahold of the guy. I also get the feeling they think he can be a starter, which is why they put him there today. I believe they will stretch him out, and he will start in this slot again.

I think they may have fixed whatever the issue was. He looked good for three innings. I am not sure at this point in time he should be considered as a starter. If for no other reason then he isn't stretched out for more than 3 innings

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 08:53 PM)
I think they may have fixed whatever the issue was. He looked good for three innings. I am not sure at this point in time he should be considered as a starter. If for no other reason then he isn't stretched out for more than 3 innings

If he can't be sent down without clearing waivers and he's not stretched out right now, the only way To stretch him out is to put him out for 3+ today and 4+ next week.