Payroll Obligations 2015-2019

Marty34

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 06:52 PM)
2015 $46M

2016 $41M

2017 $30M

2018 $22M

2019 $14M

A Scherzer, Shields, or Lester makes a lot of sense if the offense proves to be the best in the division.

2 big time free agents. Like Shields and a lefty bat, and this team is in contention for years.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 07:34 PM)
2 big time free agents. Like Shields and a lefty bat, and this team is in contention for years.

That would bring the payroll obligation up. Sure you wouldn't rather find the next Paulino? LOL

Edited by Marty34

I did not write the quote you attributed to me SS2K5 and according to the guidelines of this site "You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false."

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 07:19 PM)
I did not write the quote you attributed to me SS2K5, but according to the guidelines of this site "You agree, through your use of this service, that you will frequently use this bulletin board to post material which is knowingly false."

I have generally become very skeptical of signing free agents at or above 30 years of age to be the "fill in the gaps" and put us back in contention types. Most of them get exorbitant amounts of money in their mid to late 30s where if you dont win the WS in the first couple of years of these contracts you are in bad shape. Not just the mega deals for the 8 WAR guys like Puljos, Cano, Kershaw and such, but even the 7 year $214M for Fielder, 7 Year $120M for Werth, the $140M for Choo and Elsbury, the $120M for Hamilton. Ugh even the 5 year $80M deals guys like BJ Upton, Brian McCann got makes me want to puke.

If the Sox want to improve and have money to spend now with the very low commitments they have on the books keep doing what they are doing. More int'l scouting and Free Agents where the value is greater, more draft picks aimed at immediate contribution (not turn an athlete into a ballplayer projects), more trading for players with numerous team control years left, more Free Agents who can be had on short term deals or who are in need of rebound prove it type contracts (Sizemore, Cruz, Chris Young, Corey Hart, Michael Morse).

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 08:19 PM)
I did not write the quote you attributed to me SS2K5 and according to the guidelines of this site "You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly bulls***. Then whining about it makes you look like a fool."

Quote has been edited by alias "Quinarvy" for parody purposes and thus fair use, as defined in 510 U.S. 569.

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 06:52 PM)
2015 $46M

2016 $41M

2017 $30M

2018 $22M

2019 $14M

A Scherzer, Shields, or Lester makes a lot of sense if the offense proves to be the best in the division.

This is dumb, because those numbers will change. The only number that is even remotely accurate is the 2015 figure. There will be signings and trades and extensions that will change the 2016 through 2019 figures as soon as the trade deadline this year.

I know what you're getting at, but we all already know that there are a lot of obligations coming off the books after this year.

QUOTE (joeynach @ May 1, 2014 -> 07:40 AM)
I have generally become very skeptical of signing free agents at or above 30 years of age to be the "fill in the gaps" and put us back in contention types. Most of them get exorbitant amounts of money in their mid to late 30s where if you dont win the WS in the first couple of years of these contracts you are in bad shape. Not just the mega deals for the 8 WAR guys like Puljos, Cano, Kershaw and such, but even the 7 year $214M for Fielder, 7 Year $120M for Werth, the $140M for Choo and Elsbury, the $120M for Hamilton. Ugh even the 5 year $80M deals guys like BJ Upton, Brian McCann got makes me want to puke.

If the Sox want to improve and have money to spend now with the very low commitments they have on the books keep doing what they are doing. More int'l scouting and Free Agents where the value is greater, more draft picks aimed at immediate contribution (not turn an athlete into a ballplayer projects), more trading for players with numerous team control years left, more Free Agents who can be had on short term deals or who are in need of rebound prove it type contracts (Sizemore, Cruz, Chris Young, Corey Hart, Michael Morse).

I agree with you on most part, keep scouting and try to rebuild. however, if we need to fill a hole in our ml club, a quick fix may

be the fa way. ex ... catcher the min age there is starting at 32 yrs. a short fix of several yrs would do. starting pitcher, min

age starting at 29 yrs however some really good pitcher at 31-33 yrs - 4 yr contract may be worth it and if needed there are

a couple of outfielder that may be really a good find.

these are just fa's signing, how bout a trade route, I trust Hahn in this area with our giving up the farm for a players. I feel

very good about this club now, more than recent yrs.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 08:19 PM)
I did not write the quote you attributed to me SS2K5 and according to the guidelines of this site "You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false."

Leprechauns are real

COME AT ME BRO

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 1, 2014 -> 09:26 AM)
Also, on a serious note, who was the last free agent starting pitcher the White Sox signed to a large contract? Jamie Navarro? I do believe there's a reason for that.

Perhaps several reasons. "They're really good at developing their own starting pitching even using other teams castoffs" plays into it, as does the not wanting to give contracts to guys likely to be hurt. They still have several castoffs from other teams with potential this year even if people don't want to admit it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 1, 2014 -> 08:36 AM)
Perhaps several reasons. "They're really good at developing their own starting pitching even using other teams castoffs" plays into it, as does the not wanting to give contracts to guys likely to be hurt. They still have several castoffs from other teams with potential this year even if people don't want to admit it.

Who are these castoffs with potential?

They didn't sign any high priced free agents from other teams from 1997 when they signed Albert Belle until 2010 when they signed Adam Dunn. It was the first time they gave a free agent from another team more than $20 million during that stretch.

The Sox spent a lot of money on pitching. They didn't sign expensive guys, they traded for them. Wells, Colon, Garcia, Peavy, Vazquez, Jackson, Contreras....these were high priced guys they brought in.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 1, 2014 -> 01:36 PM)

exactly, we have always lucky in that area. with a high draft pick this yr, scouring the waiver wire, and the young talent

have in the minors, who maybe 3-4 yr away, we are decent fix with pitching.

however, in a fix for right now, we may need to think of other way to find a fix.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 1, 2014 -> 01:55 PM)

They didn't sign any high priced free agents from other teams from 1997 when they signed Albert Belle until 2010 when they signed Adam Dunn. It was the first time they gave a free agent from another team more than $20 million during that stretch.

The Sox spent a lot of money on pitching. They didn't sign expensive guys, they traded for them. Wells, Colon, Garcia, Peavy, Vazquez, Jackson, Contreras....these were high priced guys they brought in.

it a sad commentary of how unlucky our draft has been in the higher rounds.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 1, 2014 -> 09:56 AM)
exactly, we have always lucky in that area. with a high draft pick this yr, scouring the waiver wire, and the young talent

have in the minors, who maybe 3-4 yr away, we are decent fix with pitching.

however, in a fix for right now, we may need to think of other way to find a fix.

IMO, the right move is simply to play the waiting game. It would be completely unsurprising if an option presented itself. Noesi and Paulino still have skill even though we haven't gotten major results yet. Rienzo continues to show promise as a back of the rotation starter. EJ has been a huge disappointment so far but that could very well change as the season goes on. The guys at AA have been disappointing but again, it wouldn't be surprising at all to see them pick it up as the season goes on.

On top of that, the Sox continue to have some options that are going to need to be traded if they don't make a run at the division, which could help fill in a hole/provide minor league depth, and who knows what else may become available. Thanks to having some degree of flexibility, if a team had a highly-paid guy comparable to John Danks that they were interested in dumping later this year, the Sox could potentially fill in a rotation spot without having to give up much in the way of talent even for a veteran that way as well.

If it gets to next offseason and no option has presented itself and the lineup continues to produce and we're ready to sign Viciedo to a long term extension and we know who our 2015 catcher is and we know who our 2015 3b is and we know who our 2015 2b is and we can cover the gaps in the bullpen, then a big SP signing could still make sense, but there's no good reason to obsess over it right now.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 1, 2014 -> 08:55 AM)

And Wells, Vazquez, and Jackson were also quickly shipped out.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 1, 2014 -> 01:19 AM)

Marty .... Marty .... marty, I really don't need to come to SS2K5 defense, but the poster I know as SS2K5 doesn't come

at anyone or causes problems ..... so chill