Payroll Obligations 2015-2019

Marty34

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 2, 2014 -> 03:52 PM)
That's right Paulino was a free-agent. Funny aside, I don't see how a bad contract hurts a team more than having an awful farm system.

Let's use Common Core to solve Marty's riddle.

Of the last 17 World Series winning teams, 12 of them had farm systems rated in the bottom 10.

Of the last 15 World Series winning teams, 9 of them had at least one veteran contract that wasn't on the post season roster.

Over the past 10 seasons, the 50 teams in that time span to be placed in the top-5 in farm systems based on Baseball America rankings - have combined for a 2430-5670 record.

The White Sox were in seventh place in the Baseball America farm system rankings when Sally took her brother to the Walgreens to buy Gummy Bears.

If Rick Hahn promises Sox fans to improve the farm system seven-fold in five years, how many Gummy Bears can Sally and her brother eat before the White Sox have a top-5 farm system while winning the world series and not having any bad veteran contracts?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ May 2, 2014 -> 04:01 PM)

Of the last 17 World Series winning teams, 12 of them had farm systems rated in the bottom 10.

Of the last 15 World Series winning teams, 9 of them had at least one veteran contract that wasn't on the post season roster.

Over the past 10 seasons, the 50 teams in that time span to be placed in the top-5 in farm systems based on Baseball America rankings - have combined for a 2430-5670 record.

The White Sox were in seventh place in the Baseball America farm system rankings when Sally took her brother to the Walgreens to buy Gummy Bears.

If Rick Hahn promises Sox fans to improve the farm system seven-fold in five years, how many Gummy Bears can Sally and her brother eat before the White Sox have a top-5 farm system while winning the world series and not having any bad veteran contracts?

You are just dialed in right now.

Blue, no, RED!

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 2, 2014 -> 03:52 PM)
That's right Paulino was a free-agent. Funny aside, I don't see how a bad contract hurts a team more than having an awful farm system.

Is this mad-libs? Is that what we're doing? I feel like an idiot.

Ok.

That's right Bartolo Colon was a firefighter. Anxiety aside, I don't know how a microwave oven treats a sailboat more than having a hilarious yellow card.

I love it, keep writing you are a star.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 2, 2014 -> 04:16 PM)
Is this mad-libs? Is that what we're doing? I feel like an idiot.

Ok.

That's right Bartolo Colon was a firefighter. Anxiety aside, I don't know how a microwave oven treats a sailboat more than having a hilarious yellow card.

C

deqvc3.png

The absolute guarantee is given, followed by guarantee plus all arb. players, followed by all arb. players plus all team options.

Note that I don't have Arb players repeat and in those final seasons, you have some chunk of payroll being eaten up by the arbitration of players that probably won't be getting paid arbitration. For the White Sox, for instance, you have guys like Jared Mitchell being accounted for.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 2, 2014 -> 10:35 PM)
Who was it that used to do that awesome PDF of payroll commitments that was stickied every year. Was that you, Jake?

It was Kalapse, but he's kind of like Bigfoot or Nessie these days.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 2, 2014 -> 08:52 PM)

depends on the value and length of the contract.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 3, 2014 -> 06:18 AM)
depends on the value and length of the contract.

Jimenez's contract, for example, would be another albatross to go with John Danks at this point.

Santana's deal wouldn't provided us a huge competitive advantage because teams want control for at least 1 1/2 seasons now if they make mid-season trades. And there's no way he would be pitching as well as he has with the Braves for us in the American League anyway.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2014 -> 12:25 PM)
Jimenez's contract, for example, would be another albatross to go with John Danks at this point.

Santana's deal wouldn't provided us a huge competitive advantage because teams want control for at least 1 1/2 seasons now if they make mid-season trades. And there's no way he would be pitching as well as he has with the Braves for us in the American League anyway.

furthermore, when Jimenez and Santana signed, who would've thought the sox would generate this much

excitement this early.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 3, 2014 -> 06:36 AM)
furthermore, when Jimenez and Santana signed, who would've thought the sox would generate this much

excitement this early.

Nobody knew Abreu would be this good, this soon.

Or Flowers/Ramirez/Viciedo/Dunn (so far/this early).

That said, we've lost Garcia and Eaton's having a heckuva time staying healthy with his all-out/Rowand-esque style of play.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 2, 2014 -> 11:35 PM)
Who was it that used to do that awesome PDF of payroll commitments that was stickied every year. Was that you, Jake?

he stopped updating it because Baseball-reference.com literally began posting the exact same data.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2014 -> 12:40 PM)
Nobody knew Abreu would be this good, this soon.

Or Flowers/Ramirez/Viciedo/Dunn (so far/this early).

That said, we've lost Garcia and Eaton's having a heckuva time staying healthy with his all-out/Rowand-esque style of play.

kind of reminds me of he go-go sox.

that is why, I fell into the trap by even say if one of the speedy prospects we have, how would they play out in the

outfield.

which I still like that idea.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ May 2, 2014 -> 11:10 AM)
I agree that Masterson would be a great target for us for all the reasons you mentioned, depending on how this year's development turns out. The arrow is pointing up right now, but we haven't played a game in May yet, so that may change.

Masterson is the mid-rotation starter that people are clamoring not to sign. How much are you willing to spend on him?

QUOTE (LDF @ May 3, 2014 -> 10:07 AM)
kind of reminds me of he go-go sox.

that is why, I fell into the trap by even say if one of the speedy prospects we have, how would they play out in the

outfield.

which I still like that idea.

Micah Johnson would have to go to LF, unless they pair Semien at SS with Micah at 2B.

As far as Masterson goes, something like 4 years, $65-75 million with an option for a fifth year.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 3, 2014 -> 11:30 AM)
Masterson is the mid-rotation starter that people are clamoring not to sign. How much are you willing to spend on him?

It's unbelievable that you still don't understand the difference between a 32-year old trainwreck-turned-bounceback free agent this past offseason, and a 29 year-old consistently solid free agent next offseason.

We don't hate free agents, Marty, we hate s***ty players.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 3, 2014 -> 08:04 PM)
It's unbelievable that you still don't understand the difference between a 32-year old trainwreck-turned-bounceback free agent this past offseason, and a 29 year-old consistently solid free agent next offseason.

And Masterson's going to be perceived as even better than he really is, simply because of how dominating he has been against the White Sox.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 3, 2014 -> 09:04 PM)

Who is this 29 year old consistently solid free agent available next year, and who was the 32 year old train wrecked turned bounce back free agent this past offseason?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 3, 2014 -> 09:04 PM)

How much are you willing to pay for Masterson this "solid" mid-rotation starter?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 4, 2014 -> 03:41 PM)
How much are you willing to pay for Masterson this "solid" mid-rotation starter?

at the end of this season, no matter where we are in the standings, there will a hand full of pitchers

that can be signed. esp where we will be in the standing of the salary.