sox need to trade alexei once out of contention

ron883

The guy is lighting the place up like dynamite this year. He isn't getting any younger, and with the Sox if depth, they can lose him and be ok in the future. He would fetch a killing in the trade market. I think this is a no brainer if the Sox fall out of contention

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is that the Sox will hopefully be IN contention for the duration in 15 / 16 and while we have internal options to replace Alexi, none are likely to contribute at his levels during those two years. I see Alexi as a key piece for the next couple years. I would rather roll with him then add prospects. If you are talking about a solid major leaguer at a position of need 2/3 SP, C, maybe I could see it helping.

QUOTE (ron883 @ May 2, 2014 -> 05:27 PM)
The guy is lighting the place up like dynamite this year. He isn't getting any younger, and with the Sox if depth, they can lose him and be ok in the future. He would fetch a killing in the trade market. I think this is a no brainer if the Sox fall out of contention

Yes he would return alot in a trade...however what a terrible way to deliver the comment. Once the Sox fall out of contention? Aren't you a Sox fan? Have a little optimism buddy.

I'm skeptical about how much anyone earning that much in a non-contract season can net you midseason. Most teams max out their budget in the offseason, making it difficult to accommodate a shiny new >$10M/year shortstop.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 2, 2014 -> 07:05 PM)
I'm skeptical about how much anyone earning that much in a non-contract season can net you midseason. Most teams max out their budget in the offseason, making it difficult to accommodate a shiny new >$10M/year shortstop.

If he's traded for at the deadline, the acquiring team would only be on the hook for $4 million ish this season. They'd be picking him up for next year yes but that would be impacting next year's budget, not this year's.

They don't appear to have anyone on the horizon who can play SS as well as he can for the next four years. Semien projects to be more of a 2B and the younger guys in the minors haven't proved a thing and aren't regarded as can't miss prospects.

Unless you are blown away with a ridiculous offer, you keep Alexei until you are sure you have a replacement that can step in and play and produce as well as him.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ May 2, 2014 -> 11:07 PM)
They don't appear to have anyone on the horizon who can play SS as well as he can for the next four years. Semien projects to be more of a 2B and the younger guys in the minors haven't proved a thing and aren't regarded as can't miss prospects.

Unless you are blown away with a ridiculous offer, you keep Alexei until you are sure you have a replacement that can step in and play and produce as well as him.

That's what I was thinking. It would be pretty scare to let L. Garcia or somebody play short and hit .095. We have a weird team of young guys and veterans both.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 2, 2014 -> 10:58 PM)
That's what I was thinking. It would be pretty scare to let L. Garcia or somebody play short and hit .095. We have a weird team of young guys and veterans both.

marcus semien? dude feels most comfortable there and played there until 2013

people need to think of the prospect he would net though. A contender would control him for this year and next. A premier hitting shortstop who can flash the leather is super valuable. I think he nets a top 5 prospect from a contender in need of a SS

QUOTE (ron883 @ May 2, 2014 -> 10:53 PM)
people need to think of the prospect he would net though. A contender would control him for this year and next. A premier hitting shortstop who can flash the leather is super valuable. I think he nets a top 5 prospect from a contender in need of a SS

If that was the White Sox, it would be someone like Beck or Trayce Thompson.

The only way you do it is if you can net a Top 50-100 pitching prospect. Say, someone like Carlos Martinez with the Cardinals...a pitcher that's blocked but has a lot of potential as a starter but won't get the opportunity with his current organization unless there are a string of injuries or freakish chain of events.

You can't get back the equivalent of another Ramirez. The only other places you'd consider would be catcher and DH/corner OF/1B types that were left-handed.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 2, 2014 -> 11:07 PM)
If he's traded for at the deadline, the acquiring team would only be on the hook for $4 million ish this season. They'd be picking him up for next year yes but that would be impacting next year's budget, not this year's.

I have resisted really on why and how I really don't want to see sox trade Alexia, I hate saying this but for me

it is a factor. Loyalty to the player a Cuban player. hey everyone knows that sometime you need to swallow the

poison pill by trading players in order to get better, but how will that play out with other Cuban player now

on the roster or any more future dealings with them or new players coming over.

those our my thoughts, valid or not, good or bad.

peace

QUOTE (LDF @ May 3, 2014 -> 06:15 AM)
I have resisted really on why and how I really don't want to see sox trade Alexia, I hate saying this but for me

it is a factor. Loyalty to the player a Cuban player. hey everyone knows that sometime you need to swallow the

poison pill by trading players in order to get better, but how will that play out with other Cuban player now

peace

NC State's Rodon is of Cuban-descent as well...could end up as a determining factor in that draft pick.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2014 -> 12:26 PM)
NC State's Rodon is of Cuban-descent as well...could end up as a determining factor in that draft pick.

I read what you wrote on future sox board, nice.

but Rodon didn't escape Cuba, the way that some of these Cuban players have.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 3, 2014 -> 08:15 AM)

peace

I don't disagree that this can and perhaps should be a factor in deciding whether or not to move Alexei. Without knowing how the dynamics of the team work behind the scenes I can't say any more than you, but given that we have Abreu and Viciedo on this roster it absolutely needs to be considered.

It is funny how a three game losing streak changes things. Before the Detroit series, there were threads about adding people at the deadline. Now there are threads about trading veterans. I love Soxtalk, but it is kind of mentally ill at times.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2014 -> 07:57 AM)
It is funny how a three game losing streak changes things. Before the Detroit series, there were threads about adding people at the deadline. Now there are threads about trading veterans. I love Soxtalk, but it is kind of mentally ill at times.

Maybe there was a sense before that start Danks had turned some type of corner and was going to be a legit #3 again.

Now there has to be a ton of doubt about that, as well as the concept of being able to dump that contract without eating a majority of it. We have to recognize the old Danks might never come back (again)...at least the upper reaches of comfortable velocity at 92-93.

Edited by caulfield12

There is always going to be bumps in the road ..... either way this club is exciting again. lets see what comes

in July....

too bad cubano can't find out for us, if there is anymore news of other players defecting esp pitchers. :)

QUOTE (LDF @ May 3, 2014 -> 10:03 AM)
There is always going to be bumps in the road ..... either way this club is exciting again. lets see what comes

in July....

too bad cubano can't find out for us, if there is anymore news of other players defecting esp pitchers. :)

The best two current talents are outfielders, Cepeda (in Japan now, and 34 already) and Despaigne, who may or may not, depending on what you read, be going back to Mexico again to play in their professional league but not available to sign from all current conjecture.

With the disasters that are Concepcion (Cubs LHP) and then Miguel Gonzalez' contract getting partially avoided with the Phillies, the more likely sources for pitching are Korea and Japan at the moment.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2014 -> 04:09 PM)
The best two current talents are outfielders, Cepeda (in Japan now, and 34 already) and Despaigne, who may or may not, depending on what you read, be going back to Mexico again to play in their professional league but not available to sign from all current conjecture.

oh well, so much for a quick fix without trading the farm. lets continue to scour the waiver wire.

did you see where the sox are #2 in waiver wire transaction.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2014 -> 04:09 PM)

With the disasters that are Concepcion (Cubs LHP) and then Miguel Gonzalez' contract getting partially avoided with the Phillies, the more likely sources for pitching are Korea and Japan at the moment.

isn't there talks of a young south Korean player, I believe a pitcher, who might be a FA......

I don't see any benefit to trading Ramirez at this point. Those potential SS and 2B candidates in our farm system seem to be at least 2 or 3 years away. We trade our good position players for some else's prospects and ignore ours and in the interim languish in last place or worse. Before we tear our team apart let's give them a chance to show what they can do for more than 30 games

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2014 -> 05:28 PM)
One is a 3B.

http://www.amazinavenue.com/2013/10/27/485...14-suk-min-yoon

Here's the pitcher, Suk Min Yoon, with Boras of course representing him.

well getting player other than drafting and trading is what I am looking at. after reading the above article. but it also says

that they would not be available till next yr. I think as someone said Korea may be an untapped area for prospects.