On scheduling killing the Cubs/Sox series

Buehrle>Wood

Did you know the Sox are entering a 4 game set with the Cubs tonight? Probably. Most people in Chicago don't though. Why are they doing everything possible to kill this series off? It makes no sense.

It used to take over the city for a weekend or two during the summer. Instead we are playing in miserable weather in early May during the week and nobody cares. It's sad to see what these games have become.

It's not because the team's are bad. They've both been bad before and the series was never hurt by it. In fact it was a great sox team in 2005 that probably did the most to kill it. Winning the World Series in Chicago was no longer seemingly impossible and the Cubs were then therefore no longer the biggest date on the schedule.

But now they've done the absolute worst possible job of scheduling these games to try and put the final nail in the coffin in this once great series.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 5, 2014 -> 07:24 AM)
Did you know the Sox are entering a 4 game set with the Cubs tonight? Probably. Most people in Chicago don't though. Why are they doing everything possible to kill this series off? It makes no sense.

It used to take over the city for a weekend or two during the summer. Instead we are playing in miserable weather in early May during the week and nobody cares. It's sad to see what these games have become.

It's not because the team's are bad. They've both been bad before and the series was never hurt by it. In fact it was a great sox team in 2005 that probably did the most to kill it. Winning the World Series in Chicago was no longer seemingly impossible and the Cubs were then therefore no longer the biggest date on the schedule.

But now they've done the absolute worst possible job of scheduling these games to try and put the final nail in the coffin in this once great series.

This is the result of them making interleague a normal thing, as opposed to twice a year. It sucks that the series was marginalized, it really is/was a lot of fun

On the other hand, the White Sox have the opportunity to generate some of their best ticket sales of the year during mid-week games before the school year is out (and that will be severely tested, as we might not even get 30,000), so that's a bonus.

Plus, the two teams have not defined themselves yet as being completely hopeless, like if the series was played in mid to late June. There's still SOME optimism out there among Sox fans, especially after the comeback yesterday afternoon.

But it's not like knocking off a rebuilding White Sox team is much for a Cubs fan to crow about. If anything, the major prevailing reason of the moment that they might be excited for the series is the opportunity to see Abreu homer.

Edited by caulfield12

I think the Cubs Sox series is one of best parts of the season. I can't remember why there is such a large hatred/indifference for the series. Someone please remind me so I can get back to my normal state of anger.

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ May 5, 2014 -> 07:49 AM)
I think the Cubs Sox series is one of best parts of the season. I can't remember why there is such a large hatred/indifference for the series. Someone please remind me so I can get back to my normal state of anger.

I hate it because it brings out the stupid. Random people make comments about who won each game and it's just pointless. If the Sox could pound on their own division, I'd be fine with losing to the Cubs every year. They aren't a rival. They are in the NL.

Both teams being really bad has hurt the interest. Obviously, it is nowhere near the spectacle it once was, and those 3 game weekend series were a lot fun.

But both teams weren't this bad before. There is less interest in 2014 in attending any White Sox or Cubs game than there has been in many years. That, along with the jacked up pricing (at least at USCF) will keep many seats empty.

I hate it because it brings out the stupid. Random people make comments about who won each game and it's just pointless. If the Sox could pound on their own division, I'd be fine with losing to the Cubs every year. They aren't a rival. They are in the NL.

So you're saying if the Cubs were a division rival you would care more? Hmm . . .

I actually care about the series for two reasons.

1) I love betting scrub fans that the SOX will win it. Unfortunately, I lost a good bit of money last year but I feel I should be able to recoup some this year

2) I love seeing the scrubs suffer

Scrub fans like to act like they don't care about a crosstown beat down but in reality, they do.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ May 5, 2014 -> 08:31 AM)
I actually care about the series for two reasons.

1) I love betting scrub fans that the SOX will win it. Unfortunately, I lost a good bit of money last year but I feel I should be able to recoup some this year

2) I love seeing the scrubs suffer

Scrub fans like to act like they don't care about a crosstown beat down but in reality, they do.

Of course they do. If you have ever been to a Cubs/Sox game at Wrigley, when the Cubs win it is like they have just won the WS in there. Cubs fans will always tell you Sox fans care more about it than they do, but that is totally bunk.

One of my greatest moments was at Wrigley with 2 Cubs fans and another Sox fan to even it out, with 2 outs in the 9th. Cubs fans standing and cheering, Dempster closing, AJP at the plate....you can put it on the board, Sox lead. Not only did the Sox take the lead, but it was AJ who did it. It couldn't have been more perfect.

I went to Sox Cubs last year for first time, mostly had only seen on TV. It was a terrible experience. Cubs fans just screaming at you for some reason, sox and cub fan trashtalking that was embarrassingly bad, and mostly just people so drunk they felt they could constantly invade your personal space.

That said, I am kind of sad this is such an afterthought. From 00-06 there were so many good games in the series. I think it was probably 08 where it really started to taper off for me.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 5, 2014 -> 02:13 PM)

They're a rival to me. I see 40,000 people pack the stands every night to watch a consistent product of minor league baseball, meanwhile the White Sox scrath and claw to hold onto a measley 15,000. It is bulls***, and I will not stand for it. Cubs need to be taken down.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 5, 2014 -> 09:01 AM)
I went to Sox Cubs last year for first time, mostly had only seen on TV. It was a terrible experience. Cubs fans just screaming at you for some reason, sox and cub fan trashtalking that was embarrassingly bad, and mostly just people so drunk they felt they could constantly invade your personal space.

That said, I am kind of sad this is such an afterthought. From 00-06 there were so many good games in the series. I think it was probably 08 where it really started to taper off for me.

The trash talk etc was much worse when both teams would good and the series was on the weekend. There were some super violent games in the stands back then.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 5, 2014 -> 02:06 PM)
The trash talk etc was much worse when both teams would good and the series was on the weekend. There were some super violent games in the stands back then.

Yeah I bet. I can't relate to how terrible a human being you have to be to try and start a fight at a game over some macho team pride BS.

When neither team had won a WS in forever, the game(s) mattered in the we suck less than you kind of way. Now, meh. It's just another series on the schedule. Too bad the Sox have to play in such a dump.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 5, 2014 -> 08:38 AM)
Of course they do. If you have ever been to a Cubs/Sox game at Wrigley, when the Cubs win it is like they have just won the WS in there. Cubs fans will always tell you Sox fans care more about it than they do, but that is totally bunk.

One of my greatest moments was at Wrigley with 2 Cubs fans and another Sox fan to even it out, with 2 outs in the 9th. Cubs fans standing and cheering, Dempster closing, AJP at the plate....you can put it on the board, Sox lead. Not only did the Sox take the lead, but it was AJ who did it. It couldn't have been more perfect.

I was 10 years old in 1997 went with my dad and bro, went to all 3 games was in upper tank, Jamie Navarro pitched first game against Cubs at Comiskey Park. He got blasted because he was terrible and Kevin Foster was the opposing pitcher. The White Sox won the next two Wilson Alvarez pitched in one of the next two games and then i wanna say either Danny Darwin or Kevin Tapani pitched in the other W for the Sox.

My best moment being at sox cubs game was at Wrigley in 1999, there was a loooooong rain delay probably 3 hours. When the game resumed maybe a thousand people in the stadium or less. Once again me and my dad and bro moved down behind or 6 rows behind Sox dugout when game resumed the game i believe went in extra innings and Mike "Slappy" Caruso hit a basket shot homer to beat the Cubs off Rick Aguilera for the sweep! That is also Konerkos favorite moment of the series and Barret punching AJ.

We need to win 3 outta 4 against the Northside embarrassment for me to be satisfied from this series. Go Sox!!!

QUOTE (bmags @ May 5, 2014 -> 09:15 AM)
Yeah I bet. I can't relate to how terrible a human being you have to be to try and start a fight at a game over some macho team pride BS.

It was pretty disgusting honestly. For the price it cost to go to the game, it wasn't worth it. The minority of fans who were dedicated to being stupid made it unbearable to everyone else.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 5, 2014 -> 09:29 AM)
Always cool when someone can remember a game that was played years ago in such detail. I guess I was alsways killing too many brain cells to remember :lol:

Any Sox fan could kill all their brain cells,, but would never forget the basket shot to sweep the lovable losers.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 5, 2014 -> 09:33 AM)
It was pretty disgusting honestly. For the price it cost to go to the game, it wasn't worth it. The minority of fans who were dedicated to being stupid made it unbearable to everyone else.

We had season tickets in the bleachers one year and the Cubs/Sox game made us move them after that. There were knock down brawls that were disgusting, especially with children nearby.

I think the cubs sox series is also a great oppurunity to gain white sox fans. Its a shame the drunkeness may ruin it for some people, but these games will play a large part in converting current cubs fans and also help influence younger fans who are on the fence.

QUOTE (onedog#1 @ May 5, 2014 -> 02:33 PM)
Any Sox fan could kill all their brain cells,, but would never forget the basket shot to sweep the lovable losers.

For me, the Carlos Lee, Jose Valentin and AJP homers were way more memorable. Also, the game we were down 8-0 in the 4th and came back to win 12-9. When Paulie came up to the plate either tied or down by a few I just remember there being no doubt in my mind he was gonna rip a hit.