FutureSox: Profiling Cleuluis Rondon

Ozzie Ball

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 5, 2014 -> 08:43 PM)
That was a great piece. Everything you wanted to know about Rondon.

He's a special defensive talent.

great job, in what I think is a short time.

what I hope for is an underdog like story from this point on. I hope he make it to the majors, even if it for his glove.

Can anyone tell me how Omar Visquel profiled as a minor leaguer? It's been 20 some years ago, but I seem to remember that he was considered all glove, no bat as well. It would be tremendous if we had an Omar Visquel clone in our system!

QUOTE (balfanman @ May 6, 2014 -> 07:34 AM)
Can anyone tell me how Omar Visquel profiled as a minor leaguer? It's been 20 some years ago, but I seem to remember that he was considered all glove, no bat as well. It would be tremendous if we had an Omar Visquel clone in our system!

Vizquel's career OPS numbers in A- and A were .623 and .649 respectively, with K/PA rates around 13%, and very little Iso power, walk rates around 12%. He also spent 3 seasons at those levels, at similarly young ages (18-20). So there is definitely some similarity there, though it looks like Vizquel was a little better.

Not that we want to compare Rondon to a hall of famer already, but he definitely needs to start walking more. I wish we could compare him to Ozzie Guillen, but Ozzie was an exceptional hitter in the minors and then he won ROY as a 21 year old (which is also the last time the Sox had someone win Rookie of the Year).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 6, 2014 -> 07:55 AM)
Vizquel's career OPS numbers in A- and A were .623 and .649 respectively, with K/PA rates around 13%, and very little Iso power, walk rates around 12%. He also spent 3 seasons at those levels, at similarly young ages (18-20). So there is definitely some similarity there, though it looks like Vizquel was a little better.

Thank you NSS & Wite. I still remember when the Indians got Visquel from Seattle and was wishing it was the Sox instead. I, for one, will be hoping that 20 some years later we got our own Visquel from Boston. Now, if we only had minor league instructors that could teach players how to hit like the Indians did back in the day.

Edited by balfanman

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 6, 2014 -> 08:30 AM)
I want him to succeed if only so i can hear broadcasters say his name

Hell, imagine if we draft Rodon. :ph34r:

It's bad enough posters here call Rodon "Rondon" almost annually. :lol:

QUOTE (balfanman @ May 6, 2014 -> 08:29 AM)
Thank you NSS & Wite. I still remember when the Indians got Visquel from Seattle and was wishing it was the Sox instead. I, for one, will be hoping that 20 some years later we got our own Visquel from Boston. Now, if we only had minor league instructors that could teach players how to hit like the Indians did back in the day.

Jack Wilson, Pokey Reese, Brendan Ryan, Alcides Escobar - those are the names you want to think of.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 6, 2014 -> 08:06 AM)
Jack Wilson, Pokey Reese, Brendan Ryan, Alcides Escobar - those are the names you want to think of.

And not Esteban Beltre.

A defensive version of Pablo Ozuna would be nice. Basically, what Leury Garcia is/was supposed to be, but isn't quite.

QUOTE (balfanman @ May 6, 2014 -> 08:29 AM)

If you were excited about Omar Vizquel after his time with Seattle, you should probably be a scout.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 6, 2014 -> 09:20 AM)
If you were excited about Omar Vizquel after his time with Seattle, you should probably be a scout.

Lol!; No, I've just always valued defense and pitching over offense. I much prefer a pitchers dual over a 10 - 9 game. I loved last nights game for the most part, even though I only got to see the last half of it. My favorite part of baseball is observing how the pitcher and catcher are working together and how the defense is playing certain hitters.

QUOTE (balfanman @ May 6, 2014 -> 10:10 AM)
Lol!; No, I've just always valued defense and pitching over offense. I much prefer a pitchers dual over a 10 - 9 game. I loved last nights game for the most part, even though I only got to see the last half of it. My favorite part of baseball is observing how the pitcher and catcher are working together and how the defense is playing certain hitters.

Wow. We may be the only two left that think this way. :cheers

I won't lie. I find a 10-9 game far more entertaining, but I fell much better about my team if they are winning a game 1-0 than 10-9, if that makes any sense.

QUOTE (balfanman @ May 6, 2014 -> 10:10 AM)

I agree with that part. I just remember Omar being thought of as a back up IF, and that was it. Then he hit Cleveland, and wow.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 7, 2014 -> 09:08 AM)
I agree with that part. I just remember Omar being thought of as a back up IF, and that was it. Then he hit Cleveland, and wow.

you have to think anyone stuck in that lineup would develop his hitting merely by osmosis. Talk about a fearsome bunch of hitters

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 7, 2014 -> 09:19 AM)
you have to think anyone stuck in that lineup would develop his hitting merely by osmosis. Talk about a fearsome bunch of hitters

Anyone know who the Indians minor league hitting instructors were 20 - 25 years ago and if they are still around could we kidnap them and get them in our system?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 7, 2014 -> 09:08 AM)

My personal opinion of the 2005 team, aside from great pitching and speed when Podsednik was healthy, was that overall we had a pretty good defense, especially up the middle. I really don't care too much about the offense as long as they can take a walk and maybe bunt once in a while; but I prize above all else a catcher, 2nd baseman, shortstop and centerfielder who can catch the ball.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 6, 2014 -> 06:45 PM)

Really?

With absolutely no intention of offending anyone, I've always believed that the VAST majority of hardcore fans, including all those who have played at the high school level and beyond, prefer everything that goes with the chess-match aspect of baseball over cro-magnon "piñata ball." And that's despite the media's interest in glorifying the shameful McGwire-Sosa-Bonds "chicks dig the long-ball era."

The big bombs are an amazing part of the game. I enjoy the occasional slugfest too (as long as my guys win). But, baseball is so much bigger and richer than just that.

You're not exactly the only two left. ;)

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 6, 2014 -> 06:45 PM)

:cheers I've never cared much for Home Run ball either. Overall I think that the Cell is a pretty good ball park, but I wish that it had Comerica Field dimensions. Would love a few doubles and triples, that to me is a much more exciting offense. You can then watch a pitcher pitch his way out of jams.

My favorite player of all time was Carlton Fisk. I really loved how he worked with the pitcher. A.J. wasn't bad in that department either. I'm more concerned about Tyler Flowers development in this area than I am his offense!

Edited by balfanman

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ May 7, 2014 -> 10:10 AM)
Really?

With absolutely no intention of offending anyone, I've always believed that the VAST majority of hardcore fans, including all those who have played at the high school level and beyond, prefer everything that goes with the chess-match aspect of baseball over cro-magnon "piñata ball." And that's despite the media's interest in glorifying the shameful McGwire-Sosa-Bonds "chicks dig the long-ball era."

The big bombs are an amazing part of the game. I enjoy the occasional slugfest too (as long as my guys win). But, baseball is so much bigger and richer than just that.

KEWL ! Agree 100%

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ May 7, 2014 -> 10:10 AM)
Really?

I hope you're right. It just seems that the vast majority of the people I talk to enjoy the 10-9 more than the 2-1.