Cubs salute Konerko

Buehrle>Wood

Kudos Cubs organization! some idiot cubs fan texted into the Boers and Bernstein show on the Score and said “why the cubs honoring Konerko what has she done, should get drilled in the face” see this is why cubs fans SUCK!

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ May 6, 2014 -> 10:56 PM)
Would sox fans ever honor a cubs player with the equivalent merit level of Konerko?

I was going to ask if they did anything for Kerry Wood. Obviously nowhere near as good but similarly revered. I also don't think they knew he was retiring.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 7, 2014 -> 04:57 AM)
I was going to ask if they did anything for Kerry Wood. Obviously nowhere near as good but similarly revered.

I'm not sure we knew that Wood was going to retire.

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ May 6, 2014 -> 10:56 PM)
Would sox fans ever honor a cubs player with the equivalent merit level of Konerko?

Yeah, why not? I'd absolutely applaud a Konerko equivalent if he was a Cub in his last game at the cell.

But it's not like this was Cubs fans, this was the Cubs organization. Big difference. I'm sure some/most fans were classy, I bet others were along the lines of that texter.

Classy. Too bad the Sox didn't plate 14 so Paulie could repay them with an equally classy gesture by lending it back for a few hours. But really, it was nice of the Cubs to do this.

I'm sure somewhere down the line when HOF Starlin Castro is on his farewell tour, the Sox will return the favor by giving him something that has 13 written on it. A picture of Ozzie Guillen, maybe.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 6, 2014 -> 11:18 PM)
I wonder if they'd ever have an Ernie Banks appreciation day on the South Side. Or Billy Williams.

Or Ron Santo since he played for the Sox?

Why would they ever do that? That would make about as much sense as an NBA team other than the Bulls retiring Jordan's number. Oh wait.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 6, 2014 -> 10:57 PM)
I was going to ask if they did anything for Kerry Wood. Obviously nowhere near as good but similarly revered. I also don't think they knew he was retiring.

He announced his retirement like the morning of that game at Wrigley.

I thought it was pretty classy, too.

I honestly can't recall a Cubs comparative during the interleague era. Sandberg retired (for the second time) the year it started, and announced it near the end.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 7, 2014 -> 01:30 PM)
I'm sure in a 16,000 square foot house in Scottsdale, he has somewhere he can put it.

lol. I wonder how much of that stuff he's picked up through the years and if they create a museum or shrine in their homes. It's kind of akward at some point.

Plus as every married guy knows, isn't it really up to Jennifer :lol: