AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!!

southsider2k5

Nice to see Tyler's keeping up the positive momentum.

Rienzo struggled from time to time but ended up with a quality start.

Putnam continues to be awesome.

What else can you say about this offense? It should be even better with Eaton and Gillaspie (and DeAza trending up), even with Ramirez/Dunn/Flowers/Viciedo falling back.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 9, 2014 -> 10:47 PM)

What else can you say about this offense? It should be even better with Eaton and Gillaspie (and DeAza trending up), even with Ramirez/Dunn/Flowers/Viciedo falling back.

Came up just short. He's 3-0, though.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 9, 2014 -> 10:47 PM)

Ramirez and Viciedo seem to be trending upwards after their mini-slumps.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ May 9, 2014 -> 09:53 PM)
Ramirez and Viciedo seem to be trending upwards after their mini-slumps.

Viciedo was only 4/29 coming into tonight, down from .348. Both of his hits tonight weren't solid contact. It's simply the 3 run homer against CLE that's making his current struggles seems not quite so bad.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ May 9, 2014 -> 10:22 PM)
Any more info about Eaton?

News: Eaton (hamstring) will likely head out on a rehab assignment before rejoining the White Sox, the team's official website reports. (Thu May 8)

Spin: It's unclear when a rehab assignment might begin, as Eaton has yet to resume baseball activities, and has thus far been limited to riding a stationary bike. He's eligible to return May 18, but that date perhaps seems a bit optimistic.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 9, 2014 -> 11:30 PM)
News: Eaton (hamstring) will likely head out on a rehab assignment before rejoining the White Sox, the team's official website reports. (Thu May 8)

Spin: It's unclear when a rehab assignment might begin, as Eaton has yet to resume baseball activities, and has thus far been limited to riding a stationary bike. He's eligible to return May 18, but that date perhaps seems a bit optimistic.

That sucks

Just got home. Was at the game. SOOOOO nice to go to a game again and have the electricity of the offense in full force. Was amazed and how quickly Alexei's granny left the park, That thing was TAGGED. Hard to even be able to conceive what the offense will be like next year when Garcia comes back.............and have money to spend when Dunn is gone as well. Until then....win or lose...its always great when an opportunity comes just to be able to go to the ball park. When a game comes along like today's....its a BONUS!

Two off-seasons ago, the Diamondbacks traded away center fielder Chris Young and right fielder Justin Upton in part to create playing time for Eaton, who tore through the minor leagues and looked like he might be a mainstay at the top of the order for years.

But Eaton missed the first half of last season with an elbow injury and upon returning hit just .252 with a .314 on-base. He said it was mentally difficult to struggle for a team filled with veteran players expecting to win now.

"It does wear on you mentally," Eaton said. "When you go 0 for 4 or 0 for 5, that kind of turns in your head when you go to bed at night. It's like, 'Justin Upton is gone because of me and I'm not doing what I need to do,' and that kind of tumbles. You live and you learn. I'm still a young player for sure, but I think going through those difficult times makes you better going forward."

azcentral.com/sports

White Sox catcher Tyler Flowers (21) hits a home run against Arizona Diamondbacks relief pitcher Joe Thatcher (54) during the eighth inning at U.S Cellular Field. Chicago White Sox defeats the Arizona Diamondbacks 9-3. (Photo: Mike DiNovo-USA TODAY Sports)

Fullscreen

CHICAGO — Diamondbacks right-hander Brandon McCarthy was angry, but he didn't know what he was supposed to be angry about. He said the ball felt great coming out of his hand. He thought his command, though not impeccable, was decent.

"I really just," McCarthy said, grasping for words, "I'm still baffled."

He couldn't explain how he went from throwing three perfect innings to allowing hits to nine of the 10 batters he faced in the fourth inning of the Diamondbacks' 9-3 loss on Friday night at U.S. Cellular Field.

He couldn't understand how nothing changed on his end — not the way he felt physically or mentality, not his plan of attack on the mound or the quality of his pitches — and yet everything changed as it pertained to the results.

Despite retiring each of the first nine batters he faced, four coming via the strikeout, and despite regularly hitting 94-95 mph with his sinking, two-seam fastball, McCarthy was charged with seven runs in 31/3 innings, an outing that stunts the progress he'd been making in the results column in recent weeks.

"There's outings where you know you stink," McCarthy said. "You're falling behind guys, you're making pitches right down the middle of the plate, where you deserve to be punished. Then there's outings like this where I came in here and I was furious about what happened but you don't know why you're mad yet."

And even after having some five innings to think about it from the time he left the game to when he spoke with reporters, he had few answers. He admitted he wasn't perfect in the fourth inning. Some pitches could have been better. But he didn't think his imperfection was enough to lead to those sorts of results.

There was a curveball down and away that Alejandro De Aza laced to center field for a double, a fastball in that Gordon Beckham shot into center field for a single, another fastball, this one 95 mph and away, that Conor Gillaspie lined to left for another single.

None, he thought, were terrible pitches, leaving him open to every theory — even the possibility of tipping pitches, something he said he doubted yet couldn't entirely rule out.

"Everything was struck well and going back and looking at some of them," he said, "they weren't wonderful pitches, but they weren't pitches that people typically drive."

The big blow in the inning — Alexei Ramirez's grand slam to left field to give the White Sox a 6-2 lead — was a different story. It came on a down-the-middle fastball on a 3-0 pitch.

"He was cruising, man," catcher Miguel Montero said. "He was really good. I was like, wow, this guy is throwing a heck of a game right now because he was making pitch after pitch and then it just happened. The wheels came off and they got contagious that inning hitting. And they were pretty much unstoppable, to be honest."

McCarthy, who had a 7.78 ERA in his first three starts, had posted a 2.19 ERA in his previous four.

Edited by caulfield12

The best part of the Alexei homer, for those that didn't see the Sox TV broadcast, was Hawk. When the count got to 3-0, before Stone could say anything, Hawk said "The answer is, yes." And then he said it again real quickly before Stone said anything. After his excited home run call, he said "The question is, is he swinging 3-0, the answer is yes." It was as awesome of a called shot as I have heard Hawk pull off in years.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 10, 2014 -> 08:06 AM)
I will say that I love how much our guys have been swinging 3-0 this year. I feel like we're usually a team that hasn't done that in the past and I love the aggressiveness.

Ozzie had the Sox taking 3-0. Always. Used to drive Hawk nuts. Hawk had a theory it had to do with Ozzie not being guy who was given 3-0 green lights when he was playing, due to the type of hitter he was.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 10, 2014 -> 06:06 AM)
I will say that I love how much our guys have been swinging 3-0 this year. I feel like we're usually a team that hasn't done that in the past and I love the aggressiveness.

Votto hit his yesterday on a 3-0 count also and Tood Frazier hit a monster shot ( though not on 3-0) that went an estimated 485 ft.