Is This an Unprecedented Offensive Turnaround?

Marty34

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ May 10, 2014 -> 02:02 PM)
We have to give credit to Coach Steversen. The hitters are being patient this year and the results are evident.

This is always the question. Is it the coach or is it having someone like Abreu in the lineup taking pressure off the others?

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ May 10, 2014 -> 08:02 PM)
We have to give credit to Coach Steversen. The hitters are being patient this year and the results are evident.

Are there any stats showing that we are being more patient?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 10, 2014 -> 10:23 PM)
With Viciedo? absolutely.

Steverson may be giving them a different approach, however viciedo's pitches per plate has been consistent.

2012: 3.76

2013: 3.82

2014: 3.72

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ May 10, 2014 -> 05:39 PM)
Steverson may be giving them a different approach, however viciedo's pitches per plate has been consistent.

2012: 3.76

2013: 3.82

2014: 3.72

At the very least he's swinging less. He's walking at nearly 3x the rate of last year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 10, 2014 -> 02:49 PM)
At the very least he's swinging less. He's walking at nearly 3x the rate of last year.

Baseball is such a perplexing game . A simple thing such as a 1st pitch ball or a 1st pitch strike to a batter can make all the difference . I suppose it evens out over the year but I'd swear it seems like Viciedo 1st pitches have been more balls than strikes. If there are stats on this I'd like to know if my observation is correct.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 10, 2014 -> 10:02 PM)
Baseball is such a perplexing game . A simple thing such as a 1st pitch ball or a 1st pitch strike to a batter can make all the difference . I suppose it evens out over the year but I'd swear it seems like Viciedo 1st pitches have been more balls than strikes. If there are stats on this I'd like to know if my observation is correct.

Well, if viciedo is hitting better, pitchers will be less willing to throw strikes early, especially to an agressive hitter. So that may be the cause for more first strike balls. sample size is probably too small for that assumption however.

I also had my first visit to the infamous fangraphs website today, and noticed that Viciedo has swung at more pitches outside the zone this year. (very insignificant amount).

Willing to listen and research more, but I'm only a fan of patience if it means not swinging at balls outside the strike zone.

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ May 10, 2014 -> 04:19 PM)
Well, if viciedo is hitting better, pitchers will be less willing to throw strikes early, especially to an agressive hitter. So that may be the cause for more first strike balls. sample size is probably too small for that assumption however.

I also had my first visit to the infamous fangraphs website today, and noticed that Viciedo has swung at more pitches outside the zone this year. (very insignificant amount).

Willing to listen and research more, but I'm only a fan of patience if it means not swinging at balls outside the strike zone.

He doesn't have Abreu's size and plate coverage, but Viciedo being aggressive when he's ahead in the count and driving pitches to RF that are just a bit outside of the strike zone is fine. Technically, they're "bad" pitches, but how many hits did Vladimir Guerrero get on non-strikes during his career? We can't take away his aggressiveness 100%, but he's certainly controlling his swing more because the majority of his hits are to CF and RF, compared to being so pull happy and swinging out of his a-- no matter the game situation.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 10, 2014 -> 03:46 PM)
This is always the question. Is it the coach or is it having someone like Abreu in the lineup taking pressure off the others?

Considering how bad Konerko was last year, I think replacing him with Abreu could be a big factor.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 10, 2014 -> 10:12 PM)
New Flowers replacing old Flowers.

New Viciedo replacing old Viciedo.

2014 Ramirez replacing 2013 Ramirez.

New Gillaspie replacing old Gillaspie.

Makes you wonder if this team has been drug tested yet this season

QUOTE (bmags @ May 10, 2014 -> 09:53 PM)
With exception of Ramirez, it's not like power #s have gone way up.

In fact, Viciedo's nowhere close to his 2012 homer pace of mid 20's. But he's a much more effective and dangerous hitter right now, and the homers always clustered in bunches for him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 11, 2014 -> 09:04 AM)
Non unless you are talking about taking pitches and hitting for averages, but I have yet to see a drug for that.

Smoking pot? It helps everything else. :lol:

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 11, 2014 -> 05:45 AM)
In fact, Viciedo's nowhere close to his 2012 homer pace of mid 20's. But he's a much more effective and dangerous hitter right now, and the homers always clustered in bunches for him.

He's actually fallen right back into the same old habits...look at his May splits...in April he was laying off the bad pitches...but he's not anymore...