White Sox @ A's 9:05pm CT CSN

QUOTE (fathom @ May 13, 2014 -> 10:41 PM)
Golden sombrero for Semien...thankfully he's been clutch this year to make up for his disappointing season.

Let's just hope this season doesn't totally get away from the Sox in the next two weeks.

The attendance numbers/revenues are going to start to have a bit of an effect on who we can sign in the off-season, so it would be nice to stay in the wild card race until at least the trading deadline.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 13, 2014 -> 11:44 PM)
I really hope they don't give Carroll another start. I'd rather see Johnson/Paulino return. Johnson can get out AAA batters, he needs to go to the majors and throw strikes to MLB hitters.

Carroll's dream day against TB has become a nightmare in Oakland. His next start should be in AAA, If someone else is ready.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ May 14, 2014 -> 05:45 AM)
He's beginning to look like a young Gordon Beckham.

Beckham has never come close to striking out at the rate Semien has. I really don't know where this liability came from with Semien. Maybe the AFL was a warning he wasn't ready yet?

QUOTE (fathom @ May 13, 2014 -> 10:47 PM)
Beckham has never come close to striking out at the rate Semien has. I really don't know where this liability came from with Semien. Maybe the AFL was a warning he wasn't ready yet?

It's going to be hindsight...but it's not like he was ever a top prospect until recently, he had one really solid year and then the lack of top prospects in the system kind of forced him into the limelight, in the same way that guys like Saladino and Miguel Gonzalez have been there before, just because they had to pick SOMEONE/ANYONE for the Top 5/Top 10.

The contact/K/BB rates are befuddling though.

We won't know until 2-3 years from now if this MLB experience ended up helping or harming him. At least we have spared Davidson this, as he needs more seasoning as well, so Beckham, Ramirez, Gillaspie and Keppinger can hold down the fort for last 2-3 more months.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ May 14, 2014 -> 04:49 AM)
Yet some already want him replacing Ramirez.

He's a 2B all the way for me. Problem is so is Micah Johnson, which makes me think Semien ends up being a utility player or trade bait.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ May 13, 2014 -> 10:49 PM)
Yet some already want him replacing Ramirez.

It's scary that Semien being able to handle SS defensively was THE issue with him in the off-season, now it's both sides.

Back to the drawing board.

Heck, you might even see Saladino or Sanchez first before you see Semien again...dependent on how he hits in Charlotte.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 13, 2014 -> 10:48 PM)
One of the worst games in a long time for the Sox. Nothing positive has come from this game.

Leading to even more questions about preparation/the Sox "being flat" or simply a matter of Pomeranz being better than Sox hitters.

And you're going to have to deal with the wounded pride of DeAza, as well as Semien completely falling apart.

Francisco probably is one more game away from being released...with Guerra or De Los Santos the replacement.

Or Cleto, if we end up being able to hold onto him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 14, 2014 -> 04:43 AM)
Let's just hope this season doesn't totally get away from the Sox in the next two weeks.

The attendance numbers/revenues are going to start to have a bit of an effect on who we can sign in the off-season, so it would be nice to stay in the wild card race until at least the trading deadline.

Nobody cares about the wild card. We're not going to beat those teams out and fans know it. Detroit has already buried the Sox in the loss column. I'm fully expecting the draftniks on this board to be rooting for losses before very long. Certainly by the end of May.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ May 14, 2014 -> 04:51 AM)
Terrible effort all around.

Not that it matters, but Robin picked a weird time to call out the team the other day. Why didn't he just call out DeAza? DeAza is who he was talking about.

Maybe he sensed some long losing streak and tried to stem it off before it began spiraling out of control. I guess I can't fault him for that but I'd rather have seen him just blast DeAza.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 14, 2014 -> 12:29 AM)
Not that it matters, but Robin picked a weird time to call out the team the other day. Why didn't he just call out DeAza? DeAza is who he was talking about.

Maybe he sensed some long losing streak and tried to stem it off before it began spiraling out of control. I guess I can't fault him for that but I'd rather have seen him just blast DeAza.

or you know he could say nothing at all.

It's one thing to send a message to a team expected to contend but really, ripping the guys for coming out flat against a very good oakland team after a 1 run loss? It just doesn't jive with reality. If you want to discipline De Aza do it in house and say he had a leg thing.

Robin doesn't have the gravitas to do this s*** it's like Bobby V the players after awhile will resent it and that's not good.

I'm not defending De Aza either but it's up to the manager to push the right buttons and Ventura doesn't seem to push any of them -- whether that's with the media, in the clubhouse, or in the games.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 14, 2014 -> 01:01 AM)
or you know he could say nothing at all.

It's one thing to send a message to a team expected to contend but really, ripping the guys for coming out flat against a very good oakland team after a 1 run loss? It just doesn't jive with reality. If you want to discipline De Aza do it in house and say he had a leg thing.

Robin doesn't have the gravitas to do this s*** it's like Bobby V the players after awhile will resent it and that's not good.

I'm not defending De Aza either but it's up to the manager to push the right buttons and Ventura doesn't seem to push any of them -- whether that's with the media, in the clubhouse, or in the games.

Robin ripped the effort Sunday. He also keeps far more things in the clubhouse than any other manager. If you are going to rip him being at least a little accurate would help.

He says something he is an idiot. He says nothing, he couldn't care less and needs to make an example out of someone, he is an idiot. Unfortunately there is no one available who could manage this team to the undefeated record it's talent clearly indicates it should be.

One thing I did learn tonight, Soxtalk was right Robin was a fool not to pinch hit for Garcia last night with Semien or if the idiot didn't pinch run for Dunn when he didn't have to, Sierra. No way they would have struck out in that situation. So what if they were 0-7 with 7 strikeouts tonight.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 14, 2014 -> 07:08 AM)
Robin ripped the effort Sunday. He also keeps far more things in the clubhouse than any other manager. If you are going to rip him being at least a little accurate would help.

He says something he is an idiot. He says nothing, he couldn't care less and needs to make an example out of someone, he is an idiot. Unfortunately there is no one available who could manage this team to the undefeated record it's talent clearly indicates it should be.

One thing I did learn tonight, Soxtalk was right Robin was a fool not to pinch hit for Garcia last night with Semien or if the idiot didn't pinch run for Dunn when he didn't have to, Sierra. No way they would have struck out in that situation. So what if they were 0-7 with 7 strikeouts tonight.

You are probably right about Semien. He got some clutch hits this year but he's probably yet another Sox bust. As far as Robin, I think you make good points. I just think the timing was weird. It's like he made a conscious effort this year to be more of a stern manager and I think he jumped the gun a bit. I think only DeAza deserved to be benched or maybe called out. Oh well, if Viciedo, Abreu, Lexi and Flowers (yes Flowers) aren't hitting at the same time, we're f***ed and going to lose most games. Of course it would help GREATLY if Eaton was healthy. You guys laughed at my love of Rowand, but I'm thinking Eaton is the same type of gutsy catalyst through his example.

p.s. Adam Dunn is stuck on five home runs with a whopping 12 RBIs. Laughably bad. Please please end the Adam Dunn era soon. It was an era known for unabashed losing.

Edited by greg775