Baseball Prospectus Chicago event - Free Pizza and Baseball Talk

NorthSideSox72

I'm calling on SoxTalk to represent. Baseball Prospectus is having a baseball Q&A session on Saturday, May 24th, at Pizzeria Serio (1708 W. Belmont). There's free pizza, and the talk will be focusing on the upcoming June amateur draft and both Chicago teams - kind of a big deal this year with the Sox having the #3 pick, and Cubs #4.

The panel includes:

Harry Pavlidis, Ken Funck, Mauricio Rubio, Jordon Gorosh (Baseball Prospectus)

Dayn Perry (CBS Sports)

Bruce Miles (Daily Herald Cubs beat reporter)

Sahadev Sharma (ESPN Chicago, Vine Line)

John Arguello (Cubs Den)

Matt Cassidy (FutureSox)

Details (more at link):

Saturday, May 24, 2014

2:00-5:00 pm Central Time

Pizzeria Serio

1708 W. Belmont Ave

Chicago, IL

773-525-0600

So come on out! What else will you be doing with your Saturday afternoon? Buy a beer, munch on free pizza, hear about baseball and the draft, ask some questions and mingle some BP guys. Its on the NORTH SIDE, and they couldn't get a Sox beat writer (during SOX/NYY Games), so I'm afraid I'll be overwhelmed by Cubs fans. Can we get a few Sox hats in the crowd???

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 16, 2014 -> 12:16 PM)
Yeah, why is this overlapping with the game? Have it after. I'm actually going to be at the game and I could go to this if it were later.

Not sure why the scheduled it that way, probably they just talked to Cubs people at first. Figures.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 16, 2014 -> 12:16 PM)
Yeah, why is this overlapping with the game? Have it after. I'm actually going to be at the game and I could go to this if it were later.

Given the typical Sox attendance, I'm sure they weren't too concerned about many people being at the game instead.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 21, 2014 -> 01:48 AM)
Is the discussion being recorded and if so can you post a link to a podcast of it afterwards ?

I honestly don't know if they are recording it, but I would guess no. This is in a restaurant/bar in front of a crowd. But if there is audio or video afterwards I'll link to it.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 26, 2014 -> 12:05 PM)
How was this?

Turned out to be fairly small, might have been 30-40 people there at most. They decided to make it informal, have the panelists kind of circulate and just answer questions from people. Didn't do a "formal" panel or anything. Was kind of cool talking with the BP guys, and spent some time chatting with Dayn Perry, in addition to fielding questions from people.

As far as I could tell, there was only one Sox fan there (other than me), the rest were Cubs fans mostly. So I got a lot of sort of vague questions for the most part.

The BP guys are talking about maybe doing a Sox-focused one on the South Side in the future, and picking a time where they could also get at least one of the Sox beat writers to be there. They agreed the timing was kind of bad for this one - not just for Sox fans with the NYY game going on, but also it was Memorial Day weekend so lots of people had plans. Apparently the one they did a few months ago was packed.