White Sox Winner!!

BigHurt3515

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I caught parts of the game, seemed like Quintana pitched well, although once again struggled with economy of pitches.

Abreu should have had the nite off, awful mistake from Ventura, again. And no, I'm not just doing this in 20/20 hindsight Robin told the media he'd have an off day and then didn't give it. Since when do the players run the clubhouse?

And to confirm what most people already knew -- yep, Jose could have used the day off on a day the Sox were playing a bad team with a favorable pitching matchup. It's not a huge deal in isolation, but it's the pattern of mis steps that bothers me.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 17, 2014 -> 05:45 AM)
I caught parts of the game, seemed like Quintana pitched well, although once again struggled with economy of pitches.

Abreu should have had the nite off, awful mistake from Ventura, again. And no, I'm not just doing this in 20/20 hindsight Robin told the media he'd have an off day and then didn't give it. Since when do the players run the clubhouse?

And to confirm what most people already knew -- yep, Jose could have used the day off on a day the Sox were playing a bad team with a favorable pitching matchup. It's not a huge deal in isolation, but it's the pattern of mis steps that bothers me.

Only since the beginning of time. They're called informal leaders. And if the best hitter on an MLB team does not want to get benched, he won't (unless his performance hurts the team (over a span of consecutive games).

It's huge that we've been able to float around .500 with Sale out and to a lesser extent Eaton too. Sale is obviously a beast and gives you a strong chance to win every single start. Not so much the case with Carroll. Eaton really changes the entire complexion of the offense and makes Abreu that much more dangerous, as he'll be up to bat more often with men on base.

If these two guys can stay on the field, I still think we can push for the 2nd wild card spot. Still a huge long-shot, but it's a tremendous improvement over the baseball we had to suffer through last year and what they're currently suffering through on the Northside (worst team in baseball, go Epstein!).

Sometimes people just get on Ventura merely for the hell of it. My God, we're talking about a day off! Yes,he said he would give him a day off (or maybe 2), and yes, he hasn't given him that day off as of yet. And...So what? He was also supposed to be off the game he hit the 3 run homer against Oakland. His ankle isn't going to spontaneously combust from playing these games. After all, he was off on THURSDAY!!!! Can we not criticize Ventura for one freaking game (a game we won, mind you)?

QUOTE (Butter Parque @ May 17, 2014 -> 09:13 AM)
Sometimes people just get on Ventura merely for the hell of it. My God, we're talking about a day off! Yes,he said he would give him a day off (or maybe 2), and yes, he hasn't given him that day off as of yet. And...So what? He was also supposed to be off the game he hit the 3 run homer against Oakland. His ankle isn't going to spontaneously combust from playing these games. After all, he was off on THURSDAY!!!! Can we not criticize Ventura for one freaking game (a game we won, mind you)?

Welcome to soxtalk! Breeding ground for future mlb coaches, gms, trainers, and managers!

QUOTE (Butter Parque @ May 17, 2014 -> 10:13 AM)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 17, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)
Welcome to soxtalk! Breeding ground for future mlb coaches, gms, trainers, and managers!

At least the White Sox major league roster has a clear record this year of being solidly healthy and ready to go every day, because if this team had spent the first couple months of the year badly banged up and missing multiple pieces people might start wondering if Ventura's refusal to rest people could be connected to that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 17, 2014 -> 09:24 AM)
At least the White Sox major league roster has a clear record this year of being solidly healthy and ready to go every day, because if this team had spent the first couple months of the year badly banged up and missing multiple pieces people might start wondering if Ventura's refusal to rest people could be connected to that.

I have to think Beckham's oblique, Eaton's hammies,Garcia's labrum, and Gillaspie's bruised hand are clearly Ventura's fault. If he just doesn't play them at all and have them sit on the bench like museum pieces, these injuries do not happen. The Sox need to hire a good manager, one who knows what he is doing so no players get hurt. MLB is filled with them now. The DL has never been so empty.

I think all us should be happy the Sox aren't sending Semien to AAA to play every day. That would be crazy. Playing guys every day is just so irresponsible.

Edited by Dick Allen

The only injury that Ventura's getting a little blame for is Sale, and that one's far from clear.

We argued about Garcia's style of catching/diving and how he could/should have been taught the "Magglio slide," but hindsight is always 20/20.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 17, 2014 -> 09:24 AM)

Ah, because you know everything that goes on in the clubhouse, right? You have all of the information available to the entire team so you can draw perfect conclusions, right?

And apparently every other team is perfectly healthy and robin has obviously made mistakes that no other manager has ever made

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 17, 2014 -> 10:04 AM)
The only injury that Ventura's getting a little blame for is Sale, and that one's far from clear.

We argued about Garcia's style of catching/diving and how he could/should have been taught the "Magglio slide," but hindsight is always 20/20.

I don't understand why anyone would be upset that Abreu DH'd last night after an off day. Robin said he would give him 2 days off, maybe things changed. Herm obviously has a big say as well.

It is just so silly how many people think every idea they consider bad is Robin's and every good one is that of someone they apparently think Robin ignores most of the time.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 17, 2014 -> 09:08 AM)
I don't understand why anyone would be upset that Abreu DH'd last night after an off day. Robin said he would give him 2 days off, maybe things changed. Herm obviously has a big say as well.

It is just so silly how many people think every idea they consider bad is Robin's and every good one is that of someone they apparently think Robin ignores most of the time.

Obviously if Schneider thought it was a reasonable chance of worsening the injury, then he wouldn't be out there.

As far as Sale goes, the White Sox treatment was pretty much validated by the fact that he's one of the few pitchers not to be joining the TJ list at the moment. So "kid gloves" is a lot better than Fernandez pushing so hard to keep his team in the race that he possibly changed his mechanics due to the ball hitting him in the leg and not telling anyone with the coaching or training staff about his discomfort level.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 17, 2014 -> 11:08 AM)

I know, I mean, the White Sox have played 43 games and Jose Abreu has only started 42 of them! He had a day where he only was a pinch hitter! He's had like 3 extra at-bats off! That's not extreme in the least.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 17, 2014 -> 01:21 PM)
I know, I mean, the White Sox have played 43 games and Jose Abreu has only started 42 of them! He had a day where he only was a pinch hitter! He's had like 3 extra at-bats off! That's not extreme in the least.

Can you believe that the tigers have played 37 games and Miguel Cabrera has played in ALL 37 OF THEM??!!

The horror!! Fire ausmus he is new and doesn't know what he is doing and he disregards everything everyone tells him including the trainer, and let's Cabrera do whatever he wants. And Cabrera has had so many leg and ankle problems.

People need to stand up and take notice of these travesties

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 17, 2014 -> 03:06 PM)
Can you believe that the tigers have played 37 games and Miguel Cabrera has played in ALL 37 OF THEM??!!

The horror!! Fire ausmus he is new and doesn't know what he is doing and he disregards everything everyone tells him including the trainer, and let's Cabrera do whatever he wants. And Cabrera has had so many leg and ankle problems.

People need to stand up and take notice of these travesties

So you're saying he's had 6 more offdays than Jose Abreu so far?

I mean come on, I'll give Robin credit for not benching him way too often like I thought he would once Konerko was signed, but why does everything have to be the extreme? We have 2 other guys being paid who can play 1b/DH on this roster and the guy carrying the team who has never played 100 games in a season doesn't even get a day off when he actually gets hurt.

Why is it so hard to have just a little bit of balance and put him on pace for 150 games instead of 162?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 17, 2014 -> 02:12 PM)
So you're saying he's had 6 more offdays than Jose Abreu so far?

I mean come on, I'll give Robin credit for not benching him way too often like I thought he would once Konerko was signed, but why does everything have to be the extreme? We have 2 other guys being paid who can play 1b/DH on this roster and the guy carrying the team who has never played 100 games in a season doesn't even get a day off when he actually gets hurt.

Why is it so hard to have just a little bit of balance and put him on pace for 150 games instead of 162?

What I'm saying is honestly you have no idea what you are talking about and you have no idea what happens within that clubhouse, yet you sit here and act like you do.

These men are professionals, all of them. Don't pretend to give Robin credit, all you do is act like he peed in your Cheerios last season and you can't get over it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 17, 2014 -> 03:16 PM)
What I'm saying is honestly you have no idea what you are talking about and you have no idea what happens within that clubhouse, yet you sit here and act like you do.

These men are professionals, all of them. Don't pretend to give Robin credit, all you do is act like he peed in your Cheerios last season and you can't get over it.

If you're going to fall back on the "you don't know what's happening in the clubhouse" thing then the only reasonable way to evaluate a manager is based on what's on the field, and last year's team was worse than eating cheerios soaked in urine.