Which Sox are going to be traded this summer?

harfman77

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 21, 2014 -> 01:53 PM)
I just have to ask what people think is the long term solution at SS if Alexei is traded? We have several middle infield prospects that are good with the glove, but I don't see any that have the potential to regularly put up an OPS above .750, which is what Alexei seems to be on track for this year. When Alexei was struggling to get his OPS over .650, yes he was expendable, but I think the Sox really need to wait and see if the new Alexei is the real thing.

Abreu-Eaton-Alexei and maybe Viciedo and/or AGarcia figure to be the core of this offense for several years. Finding a catcher and some left handed power (beyond this season) for LF, 1B, or DH are all this team lacks to having a really, really good lineup.

Well, I can totally see Semien with a .350/.400 OBP and SLG. I don't think that's pie in the sky, but it's also not assured. Certainly we can try to see if he can do it while we wait for Anderson to take a another stab. Worst case, you give Sanchez a shot, and if s*** really hits the fan, Leury can play decent defense there.

Alexxei's present value is high, but there's a lot of reason to believe he won't continue to produce at this pace, so he's harder to replace this year than next years, methinks.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about a team like Oakland for Ramirez, they should be a win now team. I do not have any clue what they have in the minors though, so I have no clue if they have a SS waiting.

They have Lowrie and Punto there, both average, though they are pretty RH heavy in the lineup. They also should be able to absorb Ramirez's contract pretty easy, though it is Oakland.

QUOTE (Greyone @ May 21, 2014 -> 02:43 PM)
What about a team like Oakland for Ramirez, they should be a win now team. I do not have any clue what they have in the minors though, so I have no clue if they have a SS waiting.

They have Lowrie and Punto there, both average, though they are pretty RH heavy in the lineup. They also should be able to absorb Ramirez's contract pretty easy, though it is Oakland.

They have one of the best SS prospects in baseball that made it to AAA as a 19 year old last season. So they are probably out. It is really tough to find a contending team, other than the Yankees, with a need at SS. The Reds may be done with Cozart but have been said to have financial limitations that would probably get in the way of a deal. Detroit would be the other team, but I don't see how the Sox can make a deal with them.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 21, 2014 -> 02:51 PM)
They have one of the best SS prospects in baseball that made it to AAA as a 19 year old last season. So they are probably out. It is really tough to find a contending team, other than the Yankees, with a need at SS. The Reds may be done with Cozart but have been said to have financial limitations that would probably get in the way of a deal. Detroit would be the other team, but I don't see how the Sox can make a deal with them.

Ah okay, thanks for the info.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 21, 2014 -> 03:11 PM)
Trading your good players for prospects is so Theo, and so maybe 2018. Just keep Alexei unless someone wants to give you something crazy.

Two months ago most people here wanted Alexei gone no matter the return. Trading your good players for prospects is what Andrew Friedman has done to keep his team relevant. It really depends on the return that is offered, I didn't want Ramirez traded in the offseason because that seemed to be selling low given his power aberration last season. I still don't feel that you can get appropriate value for him in a deal do to the depth that most contending teams have at SS and the lack of financial flexibility of the rest.

The value of a SS in deal is mostly a question mark, the two big name SS's that have been traded in the last fiver years were largely salary dumps (both by the Marlins). For Hanley the Marlins got a ML ready SP and a throw in RH pitcher. The Reyes deal was a part of a monster deal.

To trade Alexei you would need to get a top 50 prospect back and another pretty good prospect plus a couple lower level guys.

My ideal trade would be to get Joc Pederson back from the Dodgers and let them move Hanley to 3B again.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 21, 2014 -> 04:45 PM)
Two months ago most people here wanted Alexei gone no matter the return. Trading your good players for prospects is what Andrew Friedman has done to keep his team relevant. It really depends on the return that is offered, I didn't want Ramirez traded in the offseason because that seemed to be selling low given his power aberration last season. I still don't feel that you can get appropriate value for him in a deal do to the depth that most contending teams have at SS and the lack of financial flexibility of the rest.

The value of a SS in deal is mostly a question mark, the two big name SS's that have been traded in the last fiver years were largely salary dumps (both by the Marlins). For Hanley the Marlins got a ML ready SP and a throw in RH pitcher. The Reyes deal was a part of a monster deal.

To trade Alexei you would need to get a top 50 prospect back and another pretty good prospect plus a couple lower level guys.

My ideal trade would be to get Joc Pederson back from the Dodgers and let them move Hanley to 3B again.

They did??

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 21, 2014 -> 04:45 PM)

I wanted Alexei traded last deadline, this offseason and now even more so. This is an outlier in his career and he is 32 and will be 33 at the start of next season owed 10m for '15 and another 10m for his option(1m buy out) he is on pace for a 5WAR season which is great but this year is the definition of a career year. Lets say that he is his normal Alexei self in '15 and a -.5 to -1WAR decline in '16 that still have a ton of value but we have options (Semien, Sanchez and Garcia) that can do it for league min and need to be given a chance to show if they're major league capable or not. In addition to that the sox have real organizational needs that can be addressed with a trade.

To trade Alexei to the yankees I believe you would need to get something like this back JR Murphy, Dellin Betances, Gregory Byrd and Manny Banuelos and I imagine we would have to send another piece as well possibly Flowers. I would stay away from Gary Sanchez as I believe he is another over hyped Yankee prospect that is going to bust in a similar fashion as Jesus Montero.

Category juice is a major part of what we seek in this fake-baseball numbers racket, so it's a touch odd to suggest a player who currently has zero homers and zero stolen bases. Be that as it may, let's talk about Conor Gillaspie, anonymous Chicago hitter.

All sorts of fun stats are on display with the Gillaspie page. That .389 average sure is pretty, though it's fueled by a crazy .402 BABIP. But it's also a case of Gillaspie making his own luck: he's lacing a line drive 33.7 percent of the time. He cranked nine doubles and one triple over 101 at-bats (he missed some time with a hand injury).

If you prorate Gillaspie's run-production stats to a full season, you get 84 runs and 90 RBIs. Okay, that plays. The surrounding lineup, one of the best in the majors, also helps the cause. It's a scoring-friendly park, as you know.

Gillaspie cranked 13 homers in 408 at-bats last year (albeit with a puny .245 average), so the home-run bagel is something of a fluke. Eventually some of those doubles will sail over the fence. And Robin Ventura seems to like the cornerman, using Gillaspie in the No. 3 spot in 15 of 27 games.

Nope, it's not a sexy pickup, but it's one most of you can make: Gillaspie is free to add in 96 percent of Yahoo leagues. He's eligible at both corner spots and he's in the sweet spot for player growth, two months shy of his 27th birthday. Offense isn't that easy to find in deeper mixers, is it? Who's with me? The context adds up here.

Before we finish our pizza and bolt Chicago, there's also the case of post-hype kid Gordon Beckham (another Age-27 siren). Full disclosure, I talk myself into Beckham once a year. He's on a .277-15-3-10-1 run for his 25 games, useful as a middle infielder. He's only owned in eight percent of Yahoo. He's not posh and he's not spicy, but that ownership tag looks low to me. This is a fun offense to run with, kids, especially when Jose Abreu comes back.

• The Chicago bullpen, you ask? Andy Behrens runs that beat, and he has you covered here. Ronald Belisario took the Behrens endorsement to heart, securing Chicago's win at Kansas City on Tuesday. It wasn't a perfect shutdown (2 H, 1 R), but it had a happy ending. Hey hey hey, goodbye.

Belisario's 4.15 ERA might scare some off, but he's been terrific in May – and around the strike zone all year (five walks, 19 whiffs over 26 innings). Compared to some of the other wild chuckers here, Belisario is downright relaxing. He's ready to go in 89 percent of the Y.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/fantasy-roto...5--fantasy.html

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 22, 2014 -> 12:24 AM)
Category juice is a major part of what we seek in this fake-baseball numbers racket, so it's a touch odd to suggest a player who currently has zero homers and zero stolen bases. Be that as it may, let's talk about Conor Gillaspie, anonymous Chicago hitter.

All sorts of fun stats are on display with the Gillaspie page. That .389 average sure is pretty, though it's fueled by a crazy .402 BABIP. But it's also a case of Gillaspie making his own luck: he's lacing a line drive 33.7 percent of the time. He cranked nine doubles and one triple over 101 at-bats (he missed some time with a hand injury).

If you prorate Gillaspie's run-production stats to a full season, you get 84 runs and 90 RBIs. Okay, that plays. The surrounding lineup, one of the best in the majors, also helps the cause. It's a scoring-friendly park, as you know.

Gillaspie cranked 13 homers in 408 at-bats last year (albeit with a puny .245 average), so the home-run bagel is something of a fluke. Eventually some of those doubles will sail over the fence. And Robin Ventura seems to like the cornerman, using Gillaspie in the No. 3 spot in 15 of 27 games.

Nope, it's not a sexy pickup, but it's one most of you can make: Gillaspie is free to add in 96 percent of Yahoo leagues. He's eligible at both corner spots and he's in the sweet spot for player growth, two months shy of his 27th birthday. Offense isn't that easy to find in deeper mixers, is it? Who's with me? The context adds up here.

Before we finish our pizza and bolt Chicago, there's also the case of post-hype kid Gordon Beckham (another Age-27 siren). Full disclosure, I talk myself into Beckham once a year. He's on a .277-15-3-10-1 run for his 25 games, useful as a middle infielder. He's only owned in eight percent of Yahoo. He's not posh and he's not spicy, but that ownership tag looks low to me. This is a fun offense to run with, kids, especially when Jose Abreu comes back.

• The Chicago bullpen, you ask? Andy Behrens runs that beat, and he has you covered here. Ronald Belisario took the Behrens endorsement to heart, securing Chicago's win at Kansas City on Tuesday. It wasn't a perfect shutdown (2 H, 1 R), but it had a happy ending. Hey hey hey, goodbye.

Belisario's 4.15 ERA might scare some off, but he's been terrific in May – and around the strike zone all year (five walks, 19 whiffs over 26 innings). Compared to some of the other wild chuckers here, Belisario is downright relaxing. He's ready to go in 89 percent of the Y.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/fantasy-roto...5--fantasy.html

Why are you posting a fantasy baseball article in a thread about which Sox players will be traded before the deadline?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 22, 2014 -> 06:07 AM)
Why are you posting a fantasy baseball article in a thread about which Sox players will be traded before the deadline?

Just be glad all of the player named were actually on this team, and not obscure guys from the 90's.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 22, 2014 -> 05:07 AM)

Maybe because there's no Catch-All thread and the fact that some people are buying into Gillaspie, Beckham and Belisario as fantasy candidates (since there are actually statistical analyses going on there) means they MIGHT make good trade candidates in the real world as well.

Of course, their recent "outperformance" also means an increasing number will want to hold onto them, especially Gordon.

The article gives a cogent argument, that players in that 26-27 age group are just hitting their primes.

Sigh.

I guess I have to spell out "I AM INCLUDING THIS ARTICLE BECAUSE THE THREE SPECIFIC PLAYERS MENTIONED IN THE ARTICLE, ALONG WITH ALEXEI RAMIREZ and ADAM DUNN, COMPRISE OUR MOST VALUABLE TRADE PIECES AT THE MOMENT."

Edited by caulfield12

Maybe because there's no Catch-All thread and the fact that some people are buying into Gillaspie, Beckham and Belisario as fantasy candidates (since there are actually statistical analyses going on there) means they MIGHT make good trade candidates in the real world as well.

Of course, their recent "outperformance" also means an increasing number will want to hold onto them, especially Gordon.

The article gives a cogent argument, that players in that 26-27 age group are just hitting their primes.

Sigh.

I guess I have to spell out "I AM INCLUDING THIS ARTICLE BECAUSE THE THREE SPECIFIC PLAYERS MENTIONED IN THE ARTICLE, ALONG WITH ALEXEI RAMIREZ and ADAM DUNN, COMPRISE OUR MOST VALUABLE TRADE PIECES AT THE MOMENT."

Gillaspie is pre-arb and the Sox are a rebuilding team. Rebuilding teams don't generally trade pre-arb players. I can buy Bekcham and Belisario being shopped.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 22, 2014 -> 07:36 AM)

Sigh.

I dont see why you have to find an article that merely mentions their names in order to make that argument. If I am to make an argument that Brandon Marshall is going to surpass Chris Carter in catches and yards, I am not going to post an article that says "Brandon Marshall signs new contract on the View" in order to support my argument, because it doesnt have much to do with it. Catch-all doesnt have much to do with it either

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 22, 2014 -> 06:52 AM)
I dont see why you have to find an article that merely mentions their names in order to make that argument. If I am to make an argument that Brandon Marshall is going to surpass Chris Carter in catches and yards, I am not going to post an article that says "Brandon Marshall signs new contract on the View" in order to support my argument, because it doesnt have much to do with it. Catch-all doesnt have much to do with it either

Yes, because if I'm writing an article about roto league players, it's standard practice to just throw out names without any substantive argument and anyone will easily buy into it without supporting it quantitatively.

If that's what you prefer, then I can just argue back and forth in brief/pithy, one sentence statements that just go around and around in circles.

Besides, I'm not trying to make any kind of argument. Why does it have to be an argument? Isn't it possible to just present information?

Should we have a poll right now asking posters if they want to trade or keep Beckham and/or Gillaspie?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 22, 2014 -> 06:40 AM)
Gillaspie is pre-arb and the Sox are a rebuilding team. Rebuilding teams don't generally trade pre-arb players. I can buy Bekcham and Belisario being shopped.

Then why did we acquire Davidson?

To make him the DH?

If that's the logic, we would be better off keeping Dunn.

Then why did we acquire Davidson?

To make him the DH?

If that's the logic, we would be better off keeping Dunn.

Gillaspie is pre-arb. He costs virtually nothing to keep and is under team control for 4+ more years. Dunn has an expiring contract. There is nothing similar with their situations.

Maybe Gillaspie doesn't work out. Maybe Davidson doesn't work out. If they both work out, then maybe one of them plays 1B or maybe then you trade one of them, but you don't trade Gillaspie now while Davidson is still a huge question mark.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 22, 2014 -> 07:59 AM)
Yes, because if I'm writing an article about roto league players, it's standard practice to just throw out names without any substantive argument and anyone will easily buy into it without supporting it quantitatively.

If that's what you prefer, then I can just argue back and forth in brief/pithy, one sentence statements that just go around and around in circles.

Besides, I'm not trying to make any kind of argument. Why does it have to be an argument? Isn't it possible to just present information?

Should we have a poll right now asking posters if they want to trade or keep Beckham and/or Gillaspie?

The difference here is that the substantive argument that is being made in the article is for FANTASY PURPOSES.

Look, you want to present articles that have little to do with the content matter, go ahead nobody is stopping you. But dont act all surprised when people call it out and blame lack of a catch all.

Make your poll. have fun

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 22, 2014 -> 07:07 AM)
Gillaspie is pre-arb. He costs virtually nothing to keep and is under team control for 4+ more years. Dunn has an expiring contract. There is nothing similar with their situations.

Maybe Gillaspie doesn't work out. Maybe Davidson doesn't work out. If they both work out, then maybe one of them plays 1B or maybe then you trade one of them, but you don't trade Gillaspie now while Davidson is still a huge question mark.

Obviously, it depends on what is being offered.

Conor Gillaspie 2014 OPS=842

Conor Gillaspie career major league OPS (parts of five seasons, 557 AB's)=712

Conor Gillaspie career minor league OPS=776

Now he did trend upwards from A- ball to High A, to AA to AAA (674 to 750 to 754 to 812)

Edited by caulfield12

Obviously, it depends on what is being offered.

Conor Gillaspie 2014 OPS=842

Conor Gillaspie career major league OPS (parts of five seasons, 557 AB's)=712

Conor Gillaspie career minor league OPS=776

Now he did trend upwards from A- ball to High A, to AA to AAA (674 to 750 to 754 to 812)

Every trade depends on what is being offered, but Gillaspie is the kind of guy who is more valuable to the Sox than potential suitors, so there aren't likely any offers to be made that are going to make sense for the Sox.

I will repeat what I first said: there just aren't many times when it makes sense for a rebuilding team to trade a pre-arb player.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 22, 2014 -> 07:13 AM)
The difference here is that the substantive argument that is being made in the article is for FANTASY PURPOSES.

Look, you want to present articles that have little to do with the content matter, go ahead nobody is stopping you. But dont act all surprised when people call it out and blame lack of a catch all.

Make your poll. have fun

So back to substance.

Who do you think will be the starting 3B for the Chicago White Sox on Opening Day in 2015, Conor or Matt Davidson? Which one would you trade?

If you don't want to trade either one:

Would you move one of them to 1B and make Abreu a full-time DH to prevent more wear and tear on Jose's ankles from standing for an extra 2 hours 150+ times per year?

Edited by caulfield12