USA cuts Landon Donovan from World Cup team

Julian Green better be as good as advertised in the future for the USMNT if he's gonna take Landon's roster spot. Really bummed about this decision.

Side note, really happy for Kyle Beckerman and Chris Wondolowski

I guess LD shouldve been born in Germany...

Jurgen better win atleast a game or it may be hot seat time for him after some of these selections. But I'm guessing he's been assured 2018 with some of these picks of unproven players.

QUOTE (zenryan @ May 22, 2014 -> 06:11 PM)
I guess LD shouldve been born in Germany...

Jurgen better win atleast a game or it may be hot seat time for him after some of these selections. But I'm guessing he's been assured 2018 with some of these picks of unproven players.

He already signed a contract extension through 2018 unfortunately.

There's no chance Donovan isn't one of the best 23 players the US can pick from. He may not be in his prime, but Brad Davis is on the roster. I mean, c'mon. Brad freaking Davis, a one trick pony.

The US is going to get rocked this summer (was going to happen anyway) and now we have to suffer through Klinsmann talking s*** on his players for four more years. It was an ego thing. Klinsmann wanted Donovan to jump through hoops and Donovan wouldn't do it so he cut him. Personally, I'd rather have Donovan than Klinsmann.

Yep, pure ego stroke here. Extension or not, if they bomb in Brazil I can see him canned because of it.

Also hurts exposure when soccer in the us can use it most. The average American sports fan knows one soccer player and he's now gone.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

Jurgen's ego made this decision. That and the fact that I feel as if he's looking towards 2018 at the expense of 2014. Rumors that JK has had a rift with Landon since his days at Bayern. You can not convince me Landon isn't one of the USMNT's top 5 or 6 players, let alone top 23. Who would you rather have, Landon or Wondo? Landon or Green? Landon or Bedoya? Landon or Davis? I mean, it's a pretty easy answer every time. Then you have Goodson and Parkhurst at home instead of Brooks, who's been awful internationally, and Chandler who has also and hasn't even been called in since last February. Maurice Edu, who can play CM, CDM, CB (or RB in a pinch), would have also been valuable over Davis, who does nothing for this team. Yedlin is also not ready. This is a baffling roster. Jurgen is wrong, of that I have no doubt. And unfortunately we are going to see quite obviously that this was a mistake in a few weeks.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 25, 2014 -> 11:43 PM)
And Donovan scores 3 goals today in an MLS game.

lol, typical Donovan. The guy just knows how to rise to the moment.

There isnt a guy that plays for the US that I'd choose over Donovan if I needed one shot, one pass, one free kick or just someone to make a play.

Jurgen better hope his team waxes Azerbaijan Tuesday night now.

Edited by zenryan

A surprising move. I'm not going to make a bold statement why it may have happened. On the surface I do like the idea of beginning today to make a serious and concerted effort for 2018. So many things may have occured in the background. Demands for guaranteed playing time? Reduced practice time?

BTW, Kilnsmann's kid is a class A asshole. If you mised his tweet before his account was deleted

''HAHAHAHAHAHAH DONOVAN HAHAHAHAA I DIDNT EVEN NOTICE UNTIL MY PHONE NOTIFIED ME'' followed by four emoticons with tears and another ''HAHA.'' The account was quickly deleted.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 26, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)
BTW, Kilnsmann's kid is a class A asshole. If you mised his tweet before his account was deleted

He's not an asshole, he's a teenager. This is what a significant number of them do.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 28, 2014 -> 12:29 AM)
He's not an asshole, he's a teenager. This is what a significant number of them do.

Perhaps. And I hope so. But he is also on a national team, and the son of the men's coach. And do you really believe dad's comment?

“Hugely disappointed,” Jurgen Klinsmann said. “I called him right away, he realized just a few minutes after that what he has done. He came out of school kind of fooling around with his classmates, and they just went off on Twitter not being aware of that he’s actually followed on Twitter.

“He has a huge admiration for Landon. He’s actually a big fan of his since many many years, he has his jersey in his room and he realized what he’s done. He was devastated yesterday. Obviously as a father you put him in line, and he owes him a huge, huge apology. That was highly disrespectful, and I think he got his biggest social media lesson he could imagine. It was very disappointing.”

It seems most plausible to me that the kid was reflecting how the household feels.