GT 5/24: DANKS FOR ALL THE FISH

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 24, 2014 -> 04:55 PM)
Ozzie used to go to Carmichael"s. Ventura doesn't run the game when he gets tossed. I am sure Cooper was running the pitchers.

Here's what Fred Mitchell of the Tribune wrote after the game:

Manager Robin Ventura said he thought he was giving Danks and the Sox the best chance to win with a turn to the bullpen.

If Nieto doesn't get caught between first and second in the 2nd inning, we'd have had 1st/3rd, no outs and one would suspect, at least a 4-0 lead. Then Belisario isn't entering that game in the 9th.

FWIW, that was definitely the most painful loss of the season, and also in front of the largest crowd (after Opening Day) of the year.

Ventura might have to go to Webb, sooner rather than later, but I don't think he's earned it quite yet. Nevertheless, he has more dynamic stuff than Petricka.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 24, 2014 -> 03:12 PM)
Starting Garcia in LF instead of Sierra just made no sense during the game, and of course, it hurt the Sox today. Between that, not guarding the line when Solarte was up, and using ADA and Garcia instead of Flowers/Gillaspie in the 10th....it just makes you wonder how in the world these decisions are/aren't being made.

Both those big hits in the 9th (besides McCann's gork shot) were to the opposite field down the lines, right?

As we noted yesterday, Robertson has only given up 2 hits in 20+ at-bats to lefties (one was Dunn's GW the night before) and Conor has been struggling in the last 2-3 games.

That said, your #3 hitter for most of the season, even against someone who gets lefties out (statistically) like a LOOGY...leaving him on the bench for Leury Garcia is questionable.

And there was one ball in the 9th that was initially held to a single where the Yankees' radio announcers were really crediting Garcia with getting over there quickly and holding the runner, not sure which one off the top of my head since it was 5:30 a.m. and I was only half-awake.

Edited by caulfield12

Letting Leury Garcia bat in the 9th is utterly incompetent.

And Belasario simply finished what he had started on Thursday night. If they insisted on using him to close again, he should have been under heavy scrutiny for a hook if things didn't go well.