2014 FIFA World Cup

I figure that the World Cup deserves its own thread.

We are now 14 days away from the opening match. What are everybody's predictions?

A: (1) Brazil, (2) Croatia

B: (1) Spain, (2) Netherlands

C: (1) Greece, (2) Colombia

D: (1) Italy, (2) Uruguay

E: (1) Switzerland, (2) Ecuador

F: (1) Argentina, (2) Nigeria

G: (1) Germany, (2) United States

H: (1) Belgium, (2) Algeria

Round 2 Winners: Brazil, Spain, Uruguay, Italy, Switzerland, Argentina, Germany, United States

Quarterfinal Winners: Brazil, Germany, Spain, Argentina

Semifinal Winners: Germany, Spain

3rd Place Winner: Brazil

Championship Winner: Spain

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A: Brazil, Croatia

B: Spain, Netherlands

C: Greece, Columbia

D: Italy, Uruguay

E: France, Ecuador

F: Argentina, Nigeria

G: Germany, USA

H: Belgium, Algeria

16:

Brazil over Netherlands

Uruguay over Greece

France Over Nigeria

Germany over Algeria

Croatia over Spain

Italy over Columbia

Argentina over Ecuador

Belgium over USA

8:

Brazil over Uruguay

Germany over France

Italy over Croatia

Belgium over Argentina

4:

Brazil over Germany

Belgium over Italy

2:

Brazil over Belgium

A: (1) Brazil, (2) Mexico

B: (1) Spain, (2) Chile

C: (1) Colombia, (2) Ivory Coast

D: (1) Italy, (2) Uruguay

E: (1) France, (2) Switzerland

F: (1) Argentina, (2) Bosnia & Herzegovina

G: (1) Germany, (2) United States

H: (1) Belgium, (2) Russia

Round 2 Winners: Brazil, Spain, Ivory Coast, Uruguay, Switzerland, France, Germany, Belgium

Quarterfinal Winners: Brazil, Germany, Spain, Argentina

Semifinal Winners: Brazil, Argentina

3rd Place Winner: Germany

Championship Winner: Argentina

Lots of homer picks in this thread... the US getting out of the group is 3/3.

Group A: Brazil (1); Croatia (2)

Group B: Spain (1); Chile (2)

Group C: Colombia (1); Ivory Coast (2)

Group D: Uruguay (1); Italy (2)

Group E: Ecuador (1); France (2)

Group F: Argentina (1); Bosnia (2)

Group G: Germany (1); Portugal (2) - I don't see how the makeshift US backline gets to the 5 points they probably need to come out of the group... but I hope I'm wrong.

Group H: Belgium (1); Russia (2)

Round of 16:

Brazil over Chile

Spain over Croatia

Italy over Colombia

Uruguay over Ivory Coast

Bosnia over Ecuador

Argentina over France

Germany over Russia

Belgium over Portugal

Quarters

Brazil over Italy

Germany over Bosnia

Uruguay over Spain

Belgium over Argentina

Semis

Brazil over Germany

Belgium over Uruguay

Winner

Brazil

Third

Uruguay

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ May 29, 2014 -> 03:28 PM)
Lots of homer picks in this thread... the US getting out of the group is 3/3.

I really don't think it's that much of a homer pick. Germany is obviously the class of the group but it's really wide open after that. Outside of Ronaldo, who scares you on Portugal? Nani? Almeida? A draw with them is entirely possible, and it's not like their backline and goaltender are that strong. And with Pepe and Coentrao they could grab a red at any time. The Ghana game is the big one and it could go either way IMO. Getting Germany last is also a blessing. If they win over Portugal and Ghana and don't need a result in the last round we'll probably see a few of their players sitting. Neuer, Lahm, Khedira and Schweinstager are also battling injuries. It's a tall task to emerge from the group, but I can't see Ghana or Portugal relishing their chances to advance much more than we do, honestly.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 30, 2014 -> 07:34 AM)
I really don't think it's that much of a homer pick. Germany is obviously the class of the group but it's really wide open after that. Outside of Ronaldo, who scares you on Portugal? Nani? Almeida? A draw with them is entirely possible, and it's not like their backline and goaltender are that strong. And with Pepe and Coentrao they could grab a red at any time. The Ghana game is the big one and it could go either way IMO. Getting Germany last is also a blessing. If they win over Portugal and Ghana and don't need a result in the last round we'll probably see a few of their players sitting. Neuer, Lahm, Khedira and Schweinstager are also battling injuries. It's a tall task to emerge from the group, but I can't see Ghana or Portugal relishing their chances to advance much more than we do, honestly.

Ghana's a very dangerous team. Recent history suggests Ghana will be our downfall again. I'm hopeful for this U.S. team but this group is just brutal.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 1, 2014 -> 04:40 PM)
I don't see the US getting out of their group either. Could easily see them taking last in the group.

could easily happen if Klinsmann doesnt scrap the stupid 4-4-2 diamond. He wanted to put Davis and Zusi on the squad because theyre good at crossing but he bunches them up in the middle. Of course neither is great at their defensive responsibilities so we're even more exposed when the LB/RB push up.

No creativity either in the midfield. It's too bad there isnt someone who could be creative that was left off the squad.

And Green? lol, GTFO with that selection. He has no business playing on the US team, let alone a WC team right now. Just isnt ready. No doubt in my mind that he was promised a spot when he declared.

We're two weeks from the first match and Jurgen is still trying to feel out what works with this roster. Are you kidding me?? I'm starting to get the feel of 2006 all over again.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 1, 2014 -> 04:36 PM)
could easily happen if Klinsmann doesnt scrap the stupid 4-4-2 diamond. He wanted to put Davis and Zusi on the squad because theyre good at crossing but he bunches them up in the middle. Of course neither is great at their defensive responsibilities so we're even more exposed when the LB/RB push up.

No creativity either in the midfield. It's too bad there isnt someone who could be creative that was left off the squad.

And Green? lol, GTFO with that selection. He has no business playing on the US team, let alone a WC team right now. Just isnt ready. No doubt in my mind that he was promised a spot when he declared.

We're two weeks from the first match and Jurgen is still trying to feel out what works with this roster. Are you kidding me?? I'm starting to get the feel of 2006 all over again.

The Green guaranteed spot didn't bother me because I don't think he will play anyway, but I'm starting to think he took Donovan's spot. He also looked pretty bad today. Definitely has some upside, he is well advanced for his age, but far from ready. (Sidenote, I'm really, really liking the potential for the 2018 squad).

The big problem with the squad is something that Jurgen can't help: the US doesn't have two solid centerbacks. I like Besler and I used to really like Gonzalez, but Omar seems to be good for one or two mishaps per game. Can't do that at a World Cup. As a result, Cameron is forced to move from RB to CB. I know Cameron might be better as a CB, but considering the opposition in our group a RB that is more defensive would be fine.

With Cameron out of the fullback pool we only really have one solid fullback, Fabian Johnson. As a result, Beasley or Chandler are looking to start. If we could put Beasley or Fabian as a left mid, that would help out the lack of depth at that spot. Instead, Brad Davis is on the roster and Graham Zusi is forced to play wide instead of centrally.

Bottom line, the squad isn't good enough so any weird lineup decisions we will see on matchday, won't be because Jurgen is a mad man, but rather because he doesn't have quality players at every spot no matter who he picked or what formation he uses.

If this needs a separate thread, please more it. But, it seemed unnecessary for another World Cup thread:

Report: Former FIFA exec paid $5 million to support Qatar WC bid

A former FIFA executive was accused of bribing various senior football officials with $5 million in exchange for their support for Qatar's successful World Cup bid in 2022, The Sunday Times reported.

The outlet reportedly obtained a huge cache of leaked e-mails, depicting how Mohamed Bin Hammam, Qatar's former top football official, lobbied other senior officials to support Qatar's bid when the vote was up in 2010. Bin Hammam reportedly paid off numerous officials from Africa as well as Jack Warner, FIFA's former vice president.

The curious choice to award Qatar the World Cup has drawn widespread criticism, both from human rights groups as well as European domestic soccer leagues. A scathing report revealed that up to 4,000 immigrant construction workers could die while building the infrastructure to host the World Cup, while Europe's top leagues have noted that a winter World Cup (to avoid Qatar's heat) would interfere with broadcast schedules.

The entire vote is under investigation by an independent ethics committee.

I'm SHOCKED!

If this needs a separate thread, please more it. But, it seemed unnecessary for another World Cup thread:

Report: Former FIFA exec paid $5 million to support Qatar WC bid

I'm SHOCKED!

The only thing that can stop this is for UEFA and CONMEBOL to decide to leave FIFA and form their own organization. I don't see FIFA cleaning themselves up internally.

FIFA official would support re-vote for 2022 if corruption is proven

A FIFA official said he would support a re-vote to determine a new host for the 2022 World Cup if allegations of corruption and bribery in a newspaper report are true.

“I certainly as a member of the executive committee would have absolutely no problem whatsoever if the recommendation was for a re-vote,” FIFA vice-president Jim Boyce said on BBC Radio 5 live’s Sportsweek. “If Garcia comes up with concrete evidence and concrete evidence is given to the executive committee and to FIFA, then it has to be looked at very seriously. The FIFA executive committee are 100 percent. He will be allowed to go and speak to anyone from around the world to complete his mission.”

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 08:28 AM)
I don't believe for a minute that FIFA would do that. Sure there are a handful of naive officials, but the organization is too corrupt to go back on their "deal" with Qatar.

I read this awhile ago so I don't remember the details but the president of fifa is and never was for the world cup in Qatar and he's been very open about that. Basically though everyone else took bribes so he had to agree to it or get voted out and the guy who led the Qatar campaign was going to get put in. Anyways he doesn't want it there so hopefully he mans up and takes it out.

I read this awhile ago so I don't remember the details but the president of fifa is and never was for the world cup in Qatar and he's been very open about that. Basically though everyone else took bribes so he had to agree to it or get voted out and the guy who led the Qatar campaign was going to get put in. Anyways he doesn't want it there so hopefully he mans up and takes it out.

Right, but what has changed? The people on the take are still hold the majority of the votes. The only thing that could work is for UEFA and CONMEBOL to threaten to leave FIFA and start their own organization, which would effectively end FIFA. That's the only leverage anybody has.

Not sure why the US scheduled today's game to start at 6pm ET. The biggest sporting event of the day is a potential Triple Crown winner, and you schedule right against it? There's been nothing on worth watching so far this afternoon, should have started the game at 3 or 4pm ET.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 7, 2014 -> 05:18 PM)
Not sure why the US scheduled today's game to start at 6pm ET. The biggest sporting event of the day is a potential Triple Crown winner, and you schedule right against it? There's been nothing on worth watching so far this afternoon, should have started the game at 3 or 4pm ET.

Well when it was scheduled there wasnt a horse going for the Triple Crown. Plus they leave tomorrow so I doubt they wanted a late game or a game in the middle of a hot, humid day in Florida.

Pretty strong performance today, too bad we couldn't keep the clean sheet.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 7, 2014 -> 01:30 PM)
Reus out for Germany.

Ribery from France was ruled out too, these friendly warm ups keep adding up body counts.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 7, 2014 -> 04:18 PM)

Because its horse racing. I go to Arlington all the time, yet I would never worry about scheduling against a horse race. And the Triple Crown potential just popped up a few weeks ago.