2014 FIFA World Cup

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand's been having the same fight over rights to the World Cup, they just had a court ruling that only 22 games were going to be shown on free t.v.

Here in China, every single game is covered on CCTV-5.

Brazil has controlled the entire first half, but very little to show for it. Just goes to show you that in futbol, one or two bad breaks going against you (own goal) can have devastating consequences.

The green and yellow have too much talent for Croatia, but I don't think the home crowd expected to come out down 1-0 so quickly. Brazil has been controlling the midfield, and one would imagine Croatia would wear down in the second half as a result of the South Americans' athleticism and speed advantage.

By the way, the field looks great. I guess the one in Manaus/Amazonia is the one with all kinds of problems, from heat to flooding to having no simple way of getting lawn care products there quickly enough....that 40,000+ seat stadium's going to look ridiculous over the tourney when the crowds are only 1,500 for the local games. Oh, well.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 01:56 PM)
Stupid trivia question on the Sox FB page:

Eight Sox players are rooting for six different teams in the World Cup. 2 each for Brazil and Colombia, and one each for France, Mexico, Argentina, and the US.

Now Rienzo-Brazil and Quintana-Columbia are obvious. I'm guessing Guerra-Mexico even though he is from Texas. There are a bunch of Sox players from the US and I don't know any of them to be big soccer fans in particular. I'm totally stumped on France and Argentina.

https://twitter.com/ChiTribKane/status/4771...0012160/photo/1

Croatia would never have gotten that call on the Brazil end.

That said, there was definitely interference with the goalie on that header...and Croatia made it interesting at the end with a couple of nice shots on goal.

All three goals for Brazil were not exactly perfect shots (especially Neymar's lefty to tie it) but they did the job due to placement. If the penalty kick doesn't go in, that game suddenly gets very very tense.

Edited by caulfield12

Croatia were very unlucky.

Neymar should have been sent off for his elbow... looked straight at (I think it was Modric), raised his elbow and slammed it into the side of his head. Easy red card. Then Neymar scores 2 minutes later. BS penatly decision. Foul against Croatia for the challenge on the GK. Even will all that if Pletikosa had even a half decent game it could have finished 1-1.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 06:47 PM)
Croatia were very unlucky.

Neymar should have been sent off for his elbow... looked straight at (I think it was Modric), raised his elbow and slammed it into the side of his head. Easy red card. Then Neymar scores 2 minutes later. BS penatly decision. Foul against Croatia for the challenge on the GK. Even will all that if Pletikosa had even a half decent game it could have finished 1-1.

totally disagree.

And it looked more of a forearm.

1) Penalty call was the absolute worst. Referee should be immediately sent home from the rest of the tournament. I don't know if FIFA can suspend a player for flopping, but if so, that deserves it

2) Don't think Neymar's foul warranted a red card. Yellow, yes, but not red

3) Foul called on Croatia against the GK was fine. Keeper was going straight up and Croatia's player went into him. Keeper gets the benefit of the doubt in most cases anyway.