2014 White Sox draft pick thread

southsider2k5

This thread will be for listing the White Sox draft picks, along with any signing information that we come across.

For LIVE UPDATES, see our Draft Tracker here and check on it whenever you want to, or follow us on Twitter (@FutureSox).

Players still alive in postseason baseball will be highlighted in green

Players that have signed or have said they will sign will be in bold.

Players who are confirmed as NOT signing will be in red.

1 (3): Carlos Rodon, LHP, 6-3, 240, North Carolina State >>> $6,582,000 (above slot of $5,721,500)

2 (44): Spencer Adams, RHP, 6-5, 190, White County HS (GA) >>> $1,282,700 (slot)

3 (77): Jace Fry, LHP, 6-1, 200, Oregon State >>> $760,000 (above slot of $726,000)

4 (108): Brett Austin, C, 6-1, 190, S/R, North Carolina State >>> $450,000 (below slot of $485,400)

5 (138): Zach Thompson, RHP, 6-7, 210, Texas-Arlington >>> $363,400 (slot)

6 (168): Louie Lechich, CF, 6-4, 212, L/L, San Diego >>> $40,000 (below slot of 272,100)

7 (198): Jake Peter, SS, 6-1, 185, L/R, Creighton >>> $203,800 (slot)

8 (228): John Ziznewski, SS, 6-2, 190, R/R, Long Island >>> $10,000 (below slot of 162,100)

9 (258): Brian Clark, LHP, 6-3, 225, Kent State >>> $151,400

10 (288): Jake Jarvis, 2B, 5-10, 175, R/R, Klein Collins HS (TX) >>> $141,3000 (slot)

11 (318): Zachary Fish, OF, 6-1, 200, R/R, Oklahoma State

12 (348): Connor Walsh, RHP, 6-2, 176, L/R, Cincinnati >>>> $100,000

13 (378): Mike Gomez, LHP, 6-1, 195, L/L, Florida International

14 (408): Bryce Montes de Oca, RHP, 6-8, 265, R/R, Lawrence HS (KS) >>> Committed to Missouri

15 (438): Ben Brewster, LHP, 6-3, 215, L/L, Maryland

16 (468): Matt Cooper, RHP, 6-0, 190, R/R, Hawaii

17 (498): William Trexler, RHP, 6-3, 185, R/R, University of North Florida

18 (528): Tanner Banks, LHP, 6-1, 200, L/L, Utah

19 (558): Aaron Bummer, LHP, 6-2, 200, L/L, Nebraska >>> $100,000

20 (588): Brannon Easterling, RHP, 6-4, 230, R/R, St. Edward's U. (Texas)

21 (618): Ryan Leonards, 3B, 5-11, 195, R/R Louisiana-Lafayette

22 (648): Kevin Swick, 3B, 6-0, 195, R/R, Southern Cal

23 (678): Michael Hollenbeck, C, 6-2, 225, L/R, Illinois State

24 (708): Michael Suiter, Cf, 6-1, 200, R/R, Kansas

25 (738): Mason Robbins, RF, 6-2, 210, L/L, Southern Mississippi

26 (768): Ethan Gross, SS, 6-0, 193, R/R, Memphis

27 (798): Ryan Jones, 1B, 6-4, 215, L/L, Arizona Christian

28 (828): Blair Moore, 3B, 6-2, 200, L/R, California Baptist

29 (858): Evin Einhardt, RHP, 6-3, 191, R/R, Brewton-Parker College

30 (888): Marc Flores, 1B, 6-5, 225, L/R, Hawaii

31 (918): Josh Goossen-Brown, RHP, 6-2, 210, R/R, San Diego

32 (948): Adam Choplick, LHP, 6-9, 250, R/L, Oklahoma

33 (978): Louis Silverio, OF, 6-3, 198, R/R, Florida International

34 (1008): Michael Danner, LF, 5-10, 186, L/R, Univ. of Tampa

35 (1038): Jared Koenig, LHP, 6-5, 198, Central Arizona College

36 (1068): Dayne Wagoner, C, 6-0, 190, R/R, Great Oak HS (CA)

37 (1098): Jed Sprague, 1B, 6-2, 185, R/R, St. Mary's HS (CA) >>> Committed to Pacific

38 (1128): Anthony Justiniano, SS, 6-1, 165, R/R, Clemente HS (IL) >>> Committed to Wabash Valley College

39 (1158): James Davidson, CF, 5-7, 160, L/R, Morgan Park HS (IL) >>> Committed to Howard JC

40 (1188): Julien Service, RF, 6-4, 205, R/R, Howard College (TX)

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't realize this thread was already created. Here is the list of Twitter handles I've compiled. Would probably be best to just absorb that list in to the list above. Maybe just tack the HTML links on to the end of each pick to keep them all in 2 place instead of 2 threads. Same as last year.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=92292

http://globegazette.com/sports/former-mchs...5e65fcdc7a.html

Jake Peter didn’t own any Chicago White Sox gear prior to Friday.

But that doesn’t mean there isn’t any at his family’s house.

“My dad was a big White Sox fan when he was younger. He has some retro hats he’s trying to dig out,” Peter said.

The Peter family may have plenty of White Sox apparel very soon. The Mason City High alum and Creighton junior was selected in the seventh round of the Major League Baseball Draft on Friday by the White Sox.

The 198th pick in this year’s draft, Peter was selected as a shortstop – a position he hasn’t played since his days as a Mohawk.

As a three-year starter at Creighton, Peter played at second base and saw time as a reliever.

“It’s still surreal,” Peter said. “Maybe (it will set in) when I go somewhere or actually play in the organization. Right now, I’m still on Cloud 9 and just enjoying the moment.”

Peter, who still has a year of eligibility remaining at Creighton, said it’s very likely he will sign and forgo his final season.

“They (the White Sox) gave me a good enough number where I think I’ll end up signing,” Peter said.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/base...ecf227e856.html

Husker junior left-hander Aaron Bummer was chosen in the 19th round (pick 558) by the Chicago White Sox and senior Zach Hirsch, a lefty, was taken in the 19th round (566) by the Milwaukee Brewers.

Bummer, a junior with one year of eligibility left at Nebraska, started 15 games and was 7-5 with a 3.34 ERA. He was a part of the regular weekend rotation and led NU with 56 strikeouts.

He was packing to move out of his Lincoln house when he found out he was picked.

"It's great to know that I improved 12 rounds, from when I was picked by the Yankees out of high school to now," Bummer said. "It is such a thrill to know I have a chance to play pro baseball. And, anything can happen, but I'm leaning toward signing a contract with the White Sox right now."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...ws&c_id=cws

Montes de Oca can afford to ask for a lot of money from the White Sox -- he has the leverage with a scholarship from the University of Missouri in his back pocket. Everything hinges on whether Montes de Oca, from Lawrence High School in Kansas, decides it's best to take the money now or to honor his commitment and develop at Missouri for three years.

"When you see a guy that talented taken that low, he's almost never going to be signable," MLB.com Draft expert Jim Callis wrote in an email. "I believe Montes de Oca was looking for a seven-figure bonus, and it's hard to scrape up that kind of money in the 14th round with the bonus rules being what they are. I think he's headed to Missouri."

Montes de Oca opened eyes as a rising junior at Perfect Game's World Wood Bat Association World Championships in the fall of 2012, but he blew out his elbow the following spring. He had Tommy John surgery, eliminating his junior year.

"Quite honestly, it's a little too early in the process for us to sit down and see exactly what we're going to have available," said Doug Laumann, White Sox director of amateur scouting. "It's going to be a challenging situation to get him signed, but at the same time, we wanted to have him there just in case we do have the finances after we add up all the numbers and add up our pool and see what's left. We'll certainly make a run at it."

http://www.montereyherald.com/localsports/...urce=rss_viewed

Relief didn't resolve the frustration Marc Flores felt.

Many hours hours and 29 rounds of Major League Baseball's first-year player draft had passed Flores by.

"I was like, dude, are they going to overlook me again?'' Flores asked.

Not this time.

The former King City High and Hartnell College prodigy was selected Saturday in the 30th round of the draft by the Chicago White Sox.

"All I was thinking was 'Thank God.'' Flores said.

Flores will leave in four days to Glendale, Arizona, where he will spend time in the White Sox extended spring training complex before being assigned to a minor league affiliate.

"Yes, I have a chip on my shoulder,'' Flores said. "Waiting was frustrating. I felt like I put up good numbers to go higher. But now I have a chance to prove myself."Relief didn't resolve the frustration Marc Flores felt.

Many hours hours and 29 rounds of Major League Baseball's first-year player draft had passed Flores by.

"I was like, dude, are they going to overlook me again?'' Flores asked.

Not this time.

The former King City High and Hartnell College prodigy was selected Saturday in the 30th round of the draft by the Chicago White Sox.

"All I was thinking was 'Thank God.'' Flores said.

Flores will leave in four days to Glendale, Arizona, where he will spend time in the White Sox extended spring training complex before being assigned to a minor league affiliate.

"Yes, I have a chip on my shoulder,'' Flores said. "Waiting was frustrating. I felt like I put up good numbers to go higher. But now I have a chance to prove myself."

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/06/0...ml#.U5SuxihaZ8E

A weekend of nice surprises continued for White Sox fourth-round pick Brett Austin on Saturday.

A day after the N.C. State catcher was drafted by the same organization as his Wolfpack roommate and No. 3 overall pick Carlos Rodon, he found himself walking the hallways of Charlotte’s BB&T BallPark.

The trip to meet the Knights – the Class AAA affiliate of the White Sox – was one secretly put together by Austin’s brother, Chase, who himself was selected in the 2011 First-Year Player Draft.

“Chase knew the Knights general manager and kind of went behind my back and set all this up,” said Austin, who initially believed White Sox director of amateur scouting Doug Laumann was having fun with him when he said Chicago was hoping to keep Rodon (a left-handed pitcher) and Austin together.

“I really thought he was kidding,” said Austin, who hit .344/.414/.516 this past season. “But then they sent me a text and took me in the fourth, which I’m very happy about. It’s going to be nice to play with Rodon again.”

Austin said he expects to sign with the White Sox soon and to be on a flight to Arizona this Monday.

“I don’t think there’s much negotiating to do with the new slot rules,” he said. “Hopefully, we can get things rolling.”

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/06/0...E#storylink=cpy

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/santacruz...taken-mlb-draft

Aptos High alum Jared Koenig, a 6-5 sophomore left-handed pitcher for Central Arizona College, was also selected. Koenig, who is committed to Old Dominion, was taken by the Chicago White Sox in the 35th round.

Koenig didn't watch the draft online at all. He was coaching his younger brother's Pony game in Aptos when he got the call from White Sox scout John Kazanas asking if he was signable. He said he was open to the opportunity.

"I expect this will go throughout the summer," Koenig said of negotiations. "It all depends on the money. Otherwise, it's a nice thing to put on the resume."

Koenig said he expected to get drafted late in the draft, noting he was candid with scouts when asked if he would forgo his final two years of college to sign.

"I told them I'm really excited for both," he said. "I really can't tell you because I'm stuck in the middle."

Okay so I call the AAP on Peter when we sign this kid. Never had one before but I would like to help Peter rise up through the rankings. As someone who comes so hard off the mound, I assume the balls really explode out of this hand, all the 1B sees is a streak of white. I bet he can go deep in the hole or come in on the grass very easily. Also interested in seeing what this guys stroke looks like & how long or short it is & whether he projects to gain size later on. I mean if he can stay at SS that's great but if he gets a little thick for the position he may actually look better in the box.

So yeah this guy is mine. Time for Peter's John Hancock. I bet he starts with the Dash, perfect logo for him.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 8, 2014 -> 01:48 PM)
Okay so I call the AAP on Peter when we sign this kid. Never had one before but I would like to help Peter rise up through the rankings. As someone who comes so hard off the mound, I assume the balls really explode out of this hand, all the 1B sees is a streak of white. I bet he can go deep in the hole or come in on the grass very easily. Also interested in seeing what this guys stroke looks like & how long or short it is & whether he projects to gain size later on. I mean if he can stay at SS that's great but if he gets a little thick for the position he may actually look better in the box.

So yeah this guy is mine. Time for Peter's John Hancock. I bet he starts with the Dash, perfect logo for him.

The dick jokes quit being funny like 20 times ago.

http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/story/s...aches/10191635/

And in the 25th round on Saturday, the Chicago White Sox put in a bid to lure outfielder Mason Robbins from Southern Miss.

In addition, Golden Eagle signees Mark Reyes (pitcher) and Byron Murray (outfielder) were also drafted — Reyes in the 22nd round and Murray in the 25th round, both by the San Francisco Giants. Also, junior pitcher Taylor Nunez was selected by the Boston Red Sox in the 27th round.

Given that Roney and Robbins are both juniors, they have the option of signing with the teams that drafted them or returning to school for their senior season.

Roney undecided

Roney hasn’t yet made up his mind, but it would be difficult for him to improve his stock by returning to the Golden Eagles to play out his senior year. College seniors have less leverage in negotiations than guys who still have other options.

Robbins said late Saturday he plans to forgo his senior year and sign with the White Sox.

http://nebraska.247sports.com/Article/Nebr...ntract-29036520

Nebraska will be down another starting pitcher for the 2015 season now that junior Aaron Bummer has decided to sign a professional contract with the Chicago White Sox.

“As of right now, I’m flying out of Omaha tomorrow to go to Arizona, and hopefully sign my professional contract if I pass all my physicals and do all that stuff,” Bummer told HuskersIllustrated.com. “It’s exciting, it’s a new journey. It should be really fun.”

Bummer was selected in the 19th round by the Chicago White Sox, and said he had a good idea going into Saturday where he would likely end up, though he was trying to manage his own expectations.

“The draft is a bit of a three-headed monster that nobody can predict,” Bummer said. “You’re just pretty thankful when your name gets called. I tried to limit the hopes and expectations I had and watch it play out.”

http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/story/s...e-sox/10183323/

Southern Miss junior outfielder Mason Robbins has confirmed to the Hattiesburg American that he has signed a professional contract with the Chicago White Sox after being drafted in the 25th round on Saturday.

As a result, Robbins will forgo his final season of eligibility with the Golden Eagles.

The George County native tallied a .267 batting average with 14 doubles, two triples, four home runs and 38 RBI in 2014. He appeared in all 60 games and made 59 starts in right field. He is one of two Golden Eagle position players to play in every game during the year.

Jarvis twitter:

See you in a few months Texas. Arizona bound

Mike Gomez:

On the road to make dreams a reality. Grateful for every opportunity given to me and for @whitesox for this chance

Bppg2NxCMAAMUzq.jpg

Silverio:

Blessed beyond belief

BppVIqRCYAA54UC.jpg

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 8, 2014 -> 07:31 PM)
I'm assuming we are gonna put the signed players in bold again to make it easier to see for everyone like last year? (same with the $$ amount)

Yes we are. If anyone sees bonus amounts, please post them as well!