2014 White Sox draft pick thread

southsider2k5

Perhaps somewhat interesting to point out. Jarvis is now the 3rd guy from the Banditos Baseball Club they've signed in a row. Hawkins in 2012 and Thad Lowry last year, perhaps that might have something to do with him signing.

Other Alums include Paul Goldshmidt, Nick Williams(#97 prospect by BA), Troy Patton(big league reliever), Jameson Tallion(#22), and Kohl Stewart(#52)....So they churn out some pretty good players.

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 07:10 AM)
So what is the take on Jarvis, is he a steal for the Sox? Pitcher or hitter?

He will be a middle infielder for the Sox. It seems like a pretty good get. Callis had mentioned that he liked him better as a pitcher and that he thought he was unsignable. The thing is though, the Sox wouldn't risk a 10th rounder on a guy that wouldn't sign. They would lose the slot amount for the 10th round pick and that's a chance they can't take after drafting Rodon and Adams. Supposedly, Jarvis had a workout with the White Sox last Monday and I would imagine they had an agreement. Interesting pick.

http://www.thecalifornian.com/story/news/l...lores/10213619/

As expected Marc Flores, who prepped at King City and later starred for Hartnell College, was chosen Saturday in the Major League Baseball Amateur Draft, and joining him was a player with Salinas and Gonzales connections.

Flores, a 6-foot-5, left-hand hitting slugger who batted .305 for the University of Hawaii this past season, was taken in the 30th round of the 40-round draft by the Chicago White Sox. He was pick No. 888 overall. There were 1,215 players chosen in the three-day draft.

Flores was the first player from King City to be chosen since 1995 when Brian Kirkpatrick, a pitcher, went to the Colorado Rockies in the 12th round.

The draft had all the drama of a bottom of the ninth rally for Flores.

"I was stressing out the whole time all week,'' Flores said. "I was super anxious. I thought for a while I may not be going. It happened last year and it happened when I was at Hartnell (undrafted both times). When I heard my name I jumped off the couch and felt super-pumped.''

He leaves for Glendale, Arizona today before being assigned to one of the White Sox minor league teams.

"I'm hoping to go to their Class A team in North Carolina,'' Flores said.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ss...season_i_1.html

Who will replace Jace Fry and Ben Wetzler in the weekend rotation?

Fry and Wetzler teamed with Andrew Moore to form a daunting weekend rotation. With Fry likely to sign with the Chicago White Sox and Wetzler out of eligibility, Moore becomes the unquestioned Friday ace.

Just wondering......since our #1 pick is represented by Boras....

What happened years ago when we drafted pitcher Bobby Seay #1? I know he was represented by Boras, and he was declared a free agent because the Sox never offered Seay a contract, but there must be more to the story, or did White Sox just fall asleep at the switch.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 01:36 PM)
BR puts odds of signing De Oca at 50%

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2081202...14th-round-pick

I wonder if the Sox would be willing to forfeit a draft pick next year if they think he is that good? If they think he is a first round talent, it may be worth it to sign Rodon, Adam and him.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 01:39 PM)
I wonder if the Sox would be willing to forfeit a draft pick next year if they think he is that good? If they think he is a first round talent, it may be worth it to sign Rodon, Adam and him.

Not a chance. Even when the slot money was suggestions, this team always followed it.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 01:39 PM)

No way do you forfeit your 2015 first round pick to sign this kid. Especially since there is a chance that pick winds up in the top 10 again.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 01:50 PM)
No way do you forfeit your 2015 first round pick to sign this kid. Especially since there is a chance that pick winds up in the top 10 again.

I don't know even about him to know if he is worth it or not. If he is currently ranked the #32 best pick, he is a first round talent.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 01:54 PM)
I don't know even about him to know if he is worth it or not. If he is currently ranked the #32 best pick, he is a first round talent.

He is a high school kid who has had Tommy John surgery already. There is huge upside there but you don't forfeit a first round pick that could end up being a really high pick (we still don't know how this season is going to go) to sign him.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 9, 2014 -> 02:22 PM)
Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 2m

Source said #WhiteSox have agreed in principle to sign 2nd-rd pick, RHP Spencer Adams, at slot. Suggested slot is $1.282 mill.

LET'S GO!!! At slot is amazing.

NICE! The at slot is the amazing part here, really frees up cash to sign Rodon/make a run at Montes de Oca.