2014 White Sox draft pick thread

southsider2k5

I'd bet 3, 8 and 9 all (or at least 2) go below slot to save even more, I could see us having 600-700k available. Jarvis at or slightly over maybe. I think Rodon will eat a bit of that too, but I'd also bet the Sox end up with north of 500k in extra money (which is to say 600k to offer) to Montes de Oca.

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 09:17 AM)
I'd bet 3, 8 and 9 all (or at least 2) go below slot to save even more, I could see us having 600-700k available. Jarvis at or slightly over maybe. I think Rodon will eat a bit of that too, but I'd also bet the Sox end up with north of 500k in extra money (which is to say 600k to offer) to Montes de Oca.

The fact that Fry hasn't signed yet gives me pause. I would have thought a deal would be done by now.

Gah I can't believe Mariners paid Gareth Morgan 1.3 million over slot. That's insane considering he was projected to go around there anyway. How did he have so much leverage?

Makes Adams signing for slot look like a complete steal. Some wacky overslot numbers going on in the 2nd round.

Edited by southside hitman

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 09:18 AM)
The fact that Fry hasn't signed yet gives me pause. I would have thought a deal would be done by now.

And it may BE done, we just don't know about it yet. It sometimes takes a few days for things to filter down, and the draft only finished a few days ago. Fry does have some leverage as a junior, but he was taken at pick 77 vs concensus 90's ranking or not top 100 on some lists and he's got TJ history. I just don't think he'll give up a $600-700k payday with all those dynamics at play.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 09:26 AM)
And it may BE done, we just don't know about it yet. It sometimes takes a few days for things to filter down, and the draft only finished a few days ago. Fry does have some leverage as a junior, but he was taken at pick 77 vs concensus 90's ranking or not top 100 on some lists and he's got TJ history. I just don't think he'll give up a $600-700k payday with all those dynamics at play.

Agreed. I bet they had a very good idea he would sign for slot or below considering he was picked after two potentially tough signs in Rodon and Adams.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 03:17 PM)

But I thought has been said that we can offer up to 10% over our allotment without penalty, so couldn't we offer more than 600k to Montes de Oca?

But I thought has been said that we can offer up to 10% over our allotment without penalty, so couldn't we offer more than 600k to Montes de Oca?

Well you can go up to 5% over without losing draft picks. There is a financial penalty for every dollar over up to 5%, but that really shouldn't be a concern.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 09:37 AM)
Well you can go up to 5% over without losing draft picks. There is a financial penalty for every dollar over up to 5%, but that really shouldn't be a concern.

The Sox won't go over. They never go over, ever since slotting came into existance.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 09:40 AM)
The Sox won't go over. They never go over, ever since slotting came into existance.

It would be incredibly foolish not to go over if it meant we could sign Montes De Oca. I know it isn't our money but you are talking about a few hundred thousand dollar fine to sign a premium talent.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 09:26 AM)

The longer it takes, the smaller the chances are at an underslot deal.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 09:48 AM)
It would be incredibly foolish not to go over if it meant we could sign Montes De Oca. I know it isn't our money but you are talking about a few hundred thousand dollar fine to sign a premium talent.

It isn't about the money.

Apparently the White Sox are signing/have signed, a Speed Skating Olympic medalist?

NBC 6 Sports @NBC6Sports · Jun 9

Per his parents, U.S. Olympic speed skater & silver medalist @eddyalvarez90 is expected to sign with the @whitesox tomorrow

Video of the contract signing.

http://instagram.com/p/pEempGqM8v/#

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 06:24 PM)
Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisMLB 1h

7th-rder Jake Peter agrees w/@WhiteSox on $203,800 (full value at 198). Creighton, 2B/SS for now, also to 96 mph on mound. @MLBDraft

I really am not following why we picked him up as a middle infielder but I do love drafting athletic middle infielders. Arm obviously plays great there, but not a lot of good things about his bat. Love his upside on the mound.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 07:00 PM)
Has there ever been a pitcher in the MLB or the minors who has ever been a full time starting pitcher AND a position player on his days off? I know Mike Hampton and Micah Owings and Carlos Zambrano had pinch-hit before, but did anyone play full time as both a pitcher and a hitter?

Babe Ruth.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 09:05 AM)
Apparently the White Sox are signing/have signed, a Speed Skating Olympic medalist?

Per his parents, U.S. Olympic speed skater & silver medalist @eddyalvarez90 is expected to sign with the @whitesox tomorrow

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=2...lb&sid=milb

5'9" switch-hitting shortstop. Most interestingly, the son of Cuban parents.

"The sense of balance you need to take these turns at incredible angles that we do, it actually helps my swing and my load and how I need balance," Alvarez explained. "I kind of have an Ichiro swing. I load up on the back leg and unleash it. Just reaction in general, too. Stealing a base corresponds with the 500-meter start and that gun. So there are a lot of similarities in a way."

"He was a good athlete, obviously," said former St. Thomas coach Manny Mantrana, who managed Nick (his older brother played for the Dodgers in their farm system all the way to AA, 13 years older) recruited Eddy and has moved on to the University of Texas, Pan American. "I think he would have been ready defensively right away as a freshman. He was very quick in the field and had a good, accurate throwing arm. Hitting-wise, he could slap balls around, hit some line drives and could steal a base, too.

"But defensively, he would have been great. I think he chose the wrong sport, and I always kid him about that."

Feeling down after failing to qualify (for the 2010 Olympics) and with knee injuries also a concern, Alvarez turned once more to baseball in 2011, getting another chance at the college game, this time at Salt Lake Community College, not far from where he'd trained on the ice in the past.

Alvarez became a switch-hitter and was one of the more impressive bats on a Bruins team that was ranked the No. 1 nationally among junior colleges before falling in the Western District championship. The 5-foot-9 shortstop owned a .311/.390/.478 slash line and led the Scenic West Athletic Conference with 16 doubles to go with two homers, four triples, 46 RBIs and seven steals in 63 games. He earned a spot on the all-conference team along with a nomination as a Junior College All-American. Scouts turned up to see if Alvarez was back on the diamond for good. His answer? Not yet.

"They were wondering when I was going to come back, so I did tell them after the [sochi] Games," he said. "But it was a great experience. I got to step away from this sport, grow up a little bit, try to get my mind right."

Although he certainly had performed well at Salt Lake, his knees were still not 100 percent and doctors later discovered several tears in both. Alvarez underwent major knee surgery in March 2012, following failed plasma injections, and was able to return to speedskating on the national level by the following fall.

A little more than a year later, he officially became an Olympian. Alvarez finished second in the 500m and 1,500m races and third in the 1,000m at last month's Olympic Trials, good enough for second overall and a well-deserved spot on the eight-skater (five men, three women) U.S. Short Track team.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)

I remember watching that race, interesting.