Sox Draft Carlos Rodon> Draft Day Discussion Thread

NorthSideSox72

The FutureSox Draft Tracker is now up on the site, though of course it is empty right now. Bookmark it or check back here in the OP of this thread for the link above.

Tonight are rounds 1, 2 and supplementals, Sox pick 3rd and 44th. Friday noon starts rounds 3-10, then Saturday noon is rounds 11-40.

There is a closed thread pinned here as well that will be updated periodically with just the pick and signing info, but it won't be as detailed or up to date as the blog. We'll move it over to the FS Forum after the draft is over for a few days.

Also, we'll be active on @FutureSox twitter, if you are into that sort of thing.

Go!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 09:26 AM)
I don't really mind who they select of the top handful of guys, unless they pass on Rodon to take Nola. That would tick me off.

I'll be honest, if the Astros take Aiken, I'll be rooting for the Marlins to take Rodon. I can't explain it, but I just don't want him on the Sox.

(maybe something to look back on and laugh)

Seth Lakso ‏@SethLakso 3m

MLB draft updates per a source: looking like hou - aiken, mia - rodon.. And #whitesox now split on Kolek/Nola

Previously he said the Sox were split "50/50" on Kolek or Rodon. So apparently they really like Nola? Or are not sold on Kolek?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 09:26 AM)
I don't really mind who they select of the top handful of guys, unless they pass on Rodon to take Nola. That would tick me off.

My exact thoughts. Just don't pass on Rodon and leave him for the cubs or twins

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 07:33 AM)
Seth Lakso ‏@SethLakso 3m

MLB draft updates per a source: looking like hou - aiken, mia - rodon.. And #whitesox now split on Kolek/Nola

Previously he said the Sox were split "50/50" on Kolek or Rodon. So apparently they really like Nola? Or are not sold on Kolek?

I don't think it is anything against Kolek as much as just an organizational philosophy.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 09:42 AM)
I don't think it is anything against Kolek as much as just an organizational philosophy.

Well if you are referring to their aversion to high school pitchers by all accounts Aiken seems to be #1 on their board. I am hoping like hell he falls to them some how.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 08:45 AM)
Well if you are referring to their aversion to high school pitchers by all accounts Aiken seems to be #1 on their board. I am hoping like hell he falls to them some how.

It's a VERY realistic scenario. If Rodon goes 1.1, the consensus seems to be Jackson goes 1.2, leaving Aiken to fall in our laps.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 09:45 AM)

WORD! Let Rodon go first to Houston, Jackson second to Miami and Aiken third to the Sox. Let the flubs choose between Nola and Kolek.

It's a bit premature to anoint Kolek as Strasburg/Clemens/Wood/Beckett rolled into one perfect package.

There has to be a lot of red flags with a high schooler throwing 103 MPH. It's simply human nature to not trust those numbers at that age (holding up) three to five years from now.

Let's just put it this way, there are a lot more hits than misses with pitching high in the draft. The fact is that only Longoria and Machado have been "good" picks there over a long time period should tell you something about the odds going more and more against you with each subsequent pick downwards from 1-1.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 09:47 AM)
It's a VERY realistic scenario. If Rodon goes 1.1, the consensus seems to be Jackson goes 1.2, leaving Aiken to fall in our laps.

This is my prediction, or wishful thinking. Just a gut feeling Houston goes a different direction than what's projected. There's usually a surprise and I think Houston's first pick will be that surprise.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 09:45 AM)

Yep. Aiken is best case scenario. I'd be elated. For me:

1.) Aiken

2.) Rodon

3.) Nola

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 09:50 AM)
It's a bit premature to anoint Kolek as Strasburg/Clemens/Wood/Beckett rolled into one perfect package.

There has to be a lot of red flags with a high schooler throwing 103 MPH. It's simply human nature to not trust those numbers at that age (holding up) three to five years from now.

Let's just put it this way, there are a lot more hits than misses with pitching high in the draft. The fact is that only Longoria and Machado have been "good" picks there over a long time period should tell you something about the odds going more and more against you with each subsequent pick downwards from 1-1.

This is why you teach him to throw 95 with alot of movement and improved control.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)
Eh that doesn't excite me to much. He's a 3 at best. I haven't read our watched much of Nola. What's his arsenal?

Two seam FB that tops in the mid 90's, potential plus curve and change, supposed to be very good control/command.