Sox Draft Carlos Rodon> Draft Day Discussion Thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 11:17 AM)
Agree. But Felix had a much bigger FB earlier in his career along with multiple terrific secondary offerings and has become more of a pitcher than anything else. All that experience counts too. Neither Kolek nor Nola have anything on King Felix, but Kolek has a shot at being at least close, while Nola has none whatsoever.

I'm not saying Nola can't be effective. I'm syaing this is the #3 pick we're talking about here.

And let's not sit here and pretend as though Nola is a sure thing. Look at Appel, my how long it has been since he was drafted. This kid might a complete and total bust 1 and a half years from now while at the same time Kolek on another team is a consensus top-3-5 prospect in all of baseball. Nola has every bit as much a chance at busting then anyone else.

Hell, look at Erik Johnson. Anyone see that coming? I didn't, I thought he'd be our guy between Q and Danks. Nope.

#3 Overall picks since 2000

2000 - Luis Montanez - SS - HS - Cubs - ML utility player

2001 - Dewon Brazelton - RHP - MTSU - TB - Marginal reliever

2002 - Christopher Gruler - RHP - HS - Reds - Never made it past A-

2003 - Kyle Sleeth - RHP - Wake Forest - Tigers - Never made it past AA

2004 - Phillip Humber - RHP - Rice - Mets - ML 5th starter

2005 - Jeff Clement - C - USC - Mariners - AAAA player

2006 - Evan Longoria - 3B - CSLB - TB - Perennial All-Star

2007 - Josh Vitters - 3B - HS - Cubs - Turbulent career, hitting .208 in AAA this season

2008 - Eric Hosmer - 1B - HS - Royals - Up and down, looks to be at least a ML regular going forward

2009 - Donovan Tate - CF - HS - Padres - Out of baseball

2010 - Manny Machado - SS - HS - Orioles - At least ML regular, probably perennial All-Star

2011 - Trevor Bauer - RHP - UCLA - Dbacks - In his third stint on a ML roster, though it likes he might stick this time

2012 - Mike Zunino - C - Florida - Mariners - ML regular

2013 - Jon Gray - RHP - Oklahoma - Rockies - On his way to a September call-up, career is still a ?

Not a great track record. If you can make a deal and get someone that you know can help and get another guy with the second round that has big upside, you have to at least consider it. Nola is what most people hope Danish's ceiling is. I prefer Jackson to any of them at this point as the system has a real need for someone with bat to ball skills, especially if he can play C or 3B.

Callis:

3. White Sox: Tyler Kolek, RHP, Shepherd (Texas) HS

Assuming Aiken and Rodon are gone, the White Sox will pick between Kolek, the hardest-throwing high schooler ever, and Louisiana State right-hander Aaron Nola, the most polished pitcher in the Draft. The decision could go either way.

Mayo's pick: Kolek

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/mock-d...ent_id=78353170

Callis & Mayo will have one more projection before tonight.

In Keith Law's latest and last mock he has some interesting notes.

On Houston's plan:

"Analysis: I'm still hearing they're down to Aiken, Carlos Rodon, or Alex Jackson, perhaps even just Aiken or Jackson, but the late rumors that they're still on Tyler Kolek aren't true.

They're not likely to get a huge discount on any of those guys, nothing like the Carlos Correa situation a few years ago -- a deal that looks like an unbelievable bargain in hindsight -- but might opt for the player who allows them to save an extra half-million or million if they think it strengthens their position in later rounds."

On Miami:

"Analysis: The Marlins are apparently praying for Rodon to get to them, and would take him over Alex Jackson or Brady Aiken."

So sounds like Rodon to the Sox isn't happening if Miami won't let him fall past them. The only scenario where we get Aiken is if Houston goes in a completely different direction and drafts Jackson. Or I suppose Houston drafts Rodon and Miami takes Jackson or Kolek rather than Aiken.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 11:25 AM)
Callis:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/mock-d...ent_id=78353170

Callis & Mayo will have one more projection before tonight.

I actually agree with fathom's logic on this that the Sox will take Nola in that instance due to the desire to compete so soon. For a team like the Cubs, who really don't seem to be in a hurry to compete, Kolek makes a lot more sense.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 11:32 AM)
I actually agree with fathom's logic on this that the Sox will take Nola in that instance due to the desire to compete so soon. For a team like the Cubs, who really don't seem to be in a hurry to compete, Kolek makes a lot more sense.

Pretty sure everything thing to this point has said Cubs are staying away as far as possible from Kolek

2 predictions that are locks:

Whoever the Sox select first, it will be the player they have been targeting all along, and they will be in disbelief that the player they select with their second choice slipped to them.

And the one thing I will be skipping tonight when watching the draft is Bud announcing the Dodgers and Angels picks. His pronounciation of Los Angeleese is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 11:24 AM)
#3 Overall picks since 2000

2000 - Luis Montanez - SS - HS - Cubs - ML utility player

2001 - Dewon Brazelton - RHP - MTSU - TB - Marginal reliever

2002 - Christopher Gruler - RHP - HS - Reds - Never made it past A-

2003 - Kyle Sleeth - RHP - Wake Forest - Tigers - Never made it past AA

2004 - Phillip Humber - RHP - Rice - Mets - ML 5th starter

2005 - Jeff Clement - C - USC - Mariners - AAAA player

2006 - Evan Longoria - 3B - CSLB - TB - Perennial All-Star

2007 - Josh Vitters - 3B - HS - Cubs - Turbulent career, hitting .208 in AAA this season

2008 - Eric Hosmer - 1B - HS - Royals - Up and down, looks to be at least a ML regular going forward

2009 - Donovan Tate - CF - HS - Padres - Out of baseball

2010 - Manny Machado - SS - HS - Orioles - At least ML regular, probably perennial All-Star

2011 - Trevor Bauer - RHP - UCLA - Dbacks - In his third stint on a ML roster, though it likes he might stick this time

2012 - Mike Zunino - C - Florida - Mariners - ML regular

2013 - Jon Gray - RHP - Oklahoma - Rockies - On his way to a September call-up, career is still a ?

Not a great track record. If you can make a deal and get someone that you know can help and get another guy with the second round that has big upside, you have to at least consider it. Nola is what most people hope Danish's ceiling is. I prefer Jackson to any of them at this point as the system has a real need for someone with bat to ball skills, especially if he can play C or 3B.

I don't think this argument says anything. Whoever you're picking at 3, whether it is Nola or Kolek, is going to have a chance at busting on you. That's why you take the best player/most talent/highest upside.

And whoever you get in the second round isn't going to be rated as better than either of these guys, so I think that's just a poor thought process. Whoever is left when you're picking second, take the best guy - and hell, don't even worry that much about signability because you'll get that pick back anyway if the player doesn't sign. Then you just have a higher pool next year to help balance out your lower draft position. We're looking more like a team drafting in the middle of the pack next year as it is.

Edit: what I mean is that you don't "know" Nola can help any more than you "knew" Broadway was going to make it or you "knew" Erik Johnson was going to become a stalwart in our rotation. The Sox "know" nothing really, they can only observe the present as it is playing out. And here in the now Kolek is the better arm that you'd send to Kannapolis while Nola is the strike thrower that would start in High-A and maybe finish the year with a few innings for Birmingham.

Edited by The Ultimate Champion

Crawford has updated his mock with a change.

No. 03: Chicago White Sox

Aaron Nola - RHP - LSU

And we have a change. There’s still absolutely a chance that they go with Kolek, but it sounds like he’s slipping a bit for various reasons and Nola’s stock continues to rise.

http://mlbdraftinsider.com/2014/06/the-final-mock-ever/

Edited by DirtySox

Hawk's comment about who is the player's agent last night I'd bet rules out Rodon, looks like he's going no later than Miami though. My concern about Nola at #3 is has he been moving up on merit or has he moved up because of the struggles of Beede and injury to Hoffman? Best college pitcher available or best player available?

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 11:41 AM)
I've never been such a crack head about a draft - so it'll be interesting to watch the whole damned thing :D

Can't wait.

I will watch it tonight, but really MLB network doesn't keep things all that interesting to me. They will probably have Harold Reynolds on again, who I like during the major league games, but he knows less about these prospects than 90% of this board.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 11:45 AM)
I will watch it tonight, but really MLB network doesn't keep things all that interesting to me. They will probably have Harold Reynolds on again, who I like during the major league games, but he knows less about these prospects than 90% of this board.

Harold is awful and loves every single pick. Callis is fantastic and will be there. As will Mayo who is pretty tolerable.

Aaron Fitt and Kendall Rogers love Nola for whatever that's worth. Have for a while.

Kendall Rogers ‏@KendallRogersPG 4m

Don’t think it’ll happen for the @astros, but for me, there’s not a surer bet in those top 10 picks than #LSU RHP Aaron Nola. #MLBDraft

Expand

Kendall Rogers ‏@KendallRogersPG 3m

I’m a fan of consistency with big-time stuff, and there’s nobody like Aaron Nola. Just call him Mr. Wash, Rinse, Repeat. #MLBDraft

Expand

I hope they just take the number 1 player on their board and not fall to the temptation of taking Nola because he could be a fast riser. For me, the number 1 player is Kolek but I wont be mad about any of the top 3. I will be disappointed if they go with Nola though.

So, I guess the most likely scenario is this:

Houston - Aiken

Miami - Rodon

So the sox having to pick among rodon, kolek and nola are not likely.

Best case, then, for me is Houston taking Rodon or Jackson. It seems no chance Sox end up with Rodon at this point, so getting a possibility of Aiken is what would excite me most.

Houston - Jackson

Miami - Rodon

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 11:48 AM)
Aaron Fitt and Kendall Rogers love Nola for whatever that's worth. Have for a while.

Kendall Rogers ‏@KendallRogersPG 4m

Don’t think it’ll happen for the @astros, but for me, there’s not a surer bet in those top 10 picks than #LSU RHP Aaron Nola. #MLBDraft

Expand

Kendall Rogers ‏@KendallRogersPG 3m

I’m a fan of consistency with big-time stuff, and there’s nobody like Aaron Nola. Just call him Mr. Wash, Rinse, Repeat. #MLBDraft

Expand

Kendall Rogers ‏@KendallRogersPG 1m

Nola and the word reach don’t belong together. RT @ProfessorFog: @KendallRogersPG You don't think he would be a reach at 3 for the #ChiSox?

I'd be happy with any of the 4 guys speculated. I'm rather high on Nola. I know the draft is about projection, but I like production. 12-1 with a 1.57 ERA in the SEC??? Uh ya, I'd have no problem with that.

The production put up by the high school kids is nice, but what was the level of competition there?

I'm not saying I have Nola at the top of my list but I wouldn't question the pick one bit.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 11:11 AM)
You dont have to throw 100 to pitch off your fastball. It's like people don't remember guys like Martinez, Maddux and, to a lesser extent, Schilling. They all were capable of throwing hard, but sat in the low to mid 90's with movement and control. You can have Nolan Ryan, I'll take Greg Maddux.

You are talking about once in a lifetime HOF pitchers there. The vast majority of pitchers cannot do that. That's like teaching all hitters to hit off the front foot because Hank Aaron and Frank Thomas did. Very few can be successful at it.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 11:51 AM)
Kendall Rogers ‏@KendallRogersPG 1m

Nola and the word reach don’t belong together. RT @ProfessorFog: @KendallRogersPG You don't think he would be a reach at 3 for the #ChiSox?

Kendall Rogers is a great source for college baseball info, but he's by-nature very college-focused. He'll be more in Nola's corner than others may be.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 11:55 AM)
You are talking about once in a lifetime HOF pitchers there. The vast majority of pitchers cannot do that. That's like teaching all hitters to hit off the front foot because Hank Aaron and Frank Thomas did. Very few can be successful at it.

Using extreme examples to illustrate a point doesn't make it less valid. This is the internet, extreme examples are commonplace.

Also, telling a kid who's used to throwing with max effort to not throw harder isn't easy. A lot of pitchers can't maintain their control when they ease back. It's like trying to ride a bike slow. It's hard to stay upright.